Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Looking for a Solution to Get back in the air!
664 8 2017-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike Mas
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hey guys

Since I now have one (1) Inspire and Two (2) Phantom 3 Pro's all with the notorious "No Image Transmission" problem grounded which is further complicated with the fact I can't seem to get an answer on what to do about it from the moderators of this board, I'm looking for a solution to get back in the air to complete a few jobs onthe books.

I'm thinking as a temporary solution I'll pop a P4P. My question is; the last time I was on there there were hundreds of guys with a complaint about wobbles, noise in the video and numerous other problems with the latest firmware, so I'm asking if these problems are now rectified as I surly don't need a 4th machine sitting on the Broke Bench!

Thanks in advance

Mike

2017-7-30
Use props
ImFly
lvl.1
Flight distance : 164081 ft
United States

After reading these threads I'd say its a 50/50 chance. Some people don't have issues and others do as I'm sure you've noticed.
2017-7-30
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Mike, what tablet or phone are you using?

What I am seeing (ONLY after the recent software update) is that my iPad Mini 2 now overheats when I fly and the hotter it gets, the worse the image transmission problem is.  This is 100% repeatable for me.  Cold iPad = reasonable image transmission (which at best, was still better before the update).  The longer I fly, the worse the problem gets until it is completely unusable.  I get the same problem with my iPhone 7 Plus, but it takes a little longer.

With both devices, If I pull off any protective case, I can fly a little longer until the heat issue knocks me offline.  If I stay in the shade, I can also fly a little longer.  So after the update, I am busily switching back and forth between my iPad and my iPhone with each P4 battery change.  I still can't get a full 15 or 20 minutes of flight time before the image transmission gets too bad to fly, but I have been able to get my work done in short bursts.

Hopefully DJI will be fixing whatever errant code they stuck in the latest software update, so the processors aren't spinning out of control on the mobile devices and causing them to overheat.
2017-7-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-30 16:22

What I am seeing (ONLY after the recent software update) is that my iPad Mini 2 now overheats when I fly and the hotter it gets, the worse the image transmission problem is.  This is 100% repeatable for me.  Cold iPad = reasonable image transmission (which at best, was still better before the update).  The longer I fly, the worse the problem gets until it is completely unusable.  I get the same problem with my iPhone 7 Plus, but it takes a little longer.

I've only had video break-up on my iPad Mini 2, not overheating. The CPU (umm, A6 or A7?) isn't grunty enough to handle the video decode anymore. It's fine on my iPhone 7.

Interestingly I don't have video break-up using Litchi. If you want to stay with the Ipad Mini 2, it may be an option to invest in that app. It gives other features too.
2017-7-30
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Mike,

There are a number of us on the Forum who have an up-to-date P3P that operates with no problems at all (including me).  You need assistance.  We are here to help.  Somehow we missed you on the first go-around.

How about we take a shot at your two P3Ps before you make another investment?  We will need to know what device you are using to fly your birds, iOS or Android?  Are your birds updated?  Are there extenuating circumstances that could be problematic like hard landings, interference or crashes?  What app are you using for your P3Ps and Inspire?

Please determine the easiest bird (P3P) you think you could get in the air and we will start on that one.  Be sure to click on the "Reply" button in the bottom right of the box with this post.  That way I will be notified of your response.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-30
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-30 16:22

Aloha Mabou,

Have you checked with Apple, even the Apple Store near you about why your device is overheating?  Maybe you have a faulty processor or RAM chip, even a plugged port?  Approved Apple products are not supposed to overheat using the DJI GO 4 app.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-30
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-30 18:11
Aloha Mabou,

Have you checked with Apple, even the Apple Store near you about why your device is overheating?  Maybe you have a faulty processor or RAM chip, even a plugged port?  Approved Apple products are not supposed to overheat using the DJI GO 4 app.

Hi Cetacean, the overheating started the first flight after updating.  I have more than 200 flights with the same bird and iPad before the updates.  

This could be that DJI needs to up the minimum requirements of mobile devices, or it could be that DJI accidentally introduced a little extra slop in some new code and needs to clean it up.  My money is on the second, which is not an insult to DJI... Ship happens :-)

Also overheats my second iPad Mini 2.
The iPhone 7 Plus running hot with the latest update is really what makes me think there is some errant code pinning the cpu to the wall.

Matt
2017-7-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-30 19:03
Hi Cetacean, the overheating started the first flight after updating.  I have more than 200 flights with the same bird and iPad before the updates.  

This could be that DJI needs to up the minimum requirements of mobile devices, or it could be that DJI accidentally introduced a little extra slop in some new code and needs to clean it up.  My money is on the second, which is not an insult to DJI... Ship happens :-)

Well, as I mentioned above, I'd say that DJI have introduced additional video processing load by nature of the changes to transmitter and receiver firmware in the last update. Without adequate CPU, the phone/tablet would run hot and, worse, drop transmission frames. But I didn't see that with Litchi, and I'm guessing that's because it's a leaner, more efficient app.
2017-7-30
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-30 19:03

Aloha Matt,

Or it could be that somehow the Apple requirements for their iOS require added script.  All the reasoning you have made would explain why iOS devices could overheat but Android devices are not having heating problems.  No heating on my Android - at least since I unplugged my cooling ports!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules