Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Some results for tracking in gesture mode
1532 9 2017-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Malakai_UK
Captain
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hey all, I have been doing some tests using just gesture mode with tracking and recording video.
First off, it would appear that in gesture mode the spark is limited to about 25m from palm launch point and it captures the palm launch as the home point.
Secondly, when it hits that 25m distance from home it freezes in the air. The green lights shows its tracking and if you step out of view it flashes yellow to show it lost you.

Now for the bad news!

Once it freezes at the perimeter and has frozen, it stays there, you cant gesture to track, if its high up you cant use palm control, you cant use the bekon command. Even with backwards tracking enabled it wont back up. The only way to get it back is use either the phone or controller to connect to it and fly it backwards about 1m. Then you can bring it down or continue using gesture controls but only inside that perimeter. If you leave it hanging too long there it initiates a RTH and flies up to about 10-15m and flies back to home. My RTH was set to RTH at current alt or 50m. Neither of which it followed.

All of this fits in the beginner mode restrictions. 30m height, 50m distance (if you work it in diameter = 25m from home point to outside edge of perimeter)
This makes it almost of no use because if i wanted to capture a shot of us walking along a path it only captures for a few seconds before it hits its distance limit. Sure its ok for someone who is not really moving about and might want to use the spark instead of a camera person to do a bit of video.

The restrictions could do with having some element of owners input. Sure, in gesture mode, set the spark to default to beginner mode out of the box. But allow users to make changes in the app to get out of beginners mode. Keep a 30m height restriction but allow me to choose a tracking distance of up to 200m.

If the spark hits the max distance then instead of freezing up at least allow for it to rotate during tracking to follow you back inside its zone or even allow the bekon command once its hit that limit.

My hints for you all are:
Make sure you have paired you phone or controller before you fly in gesture mode. Even if you have them turned off, when you turn them on they should reconnect to your spark so you can take control.
Be aware of the distance limit for tracking.
Be aware of the RTH just in case you have walked under cover (trees etc)

2017-7-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job Malakai, thanks for doing the test, so it looks like to go further we need to be using a device and signed in the dji app.

Interesting with RTH I had tried this previously from inside 20 m and it flew at present height 3m lowered to 1.5 m and just hovered, maybe I just didn't wait long enough for it to land.

So if we want to get max out of gesture control have a device on at all time.
2017-7-31
Use props
Dirk52
First Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

So when this is the actual point of the tracking Dji needs to fix this really fast!
They have to enable more features in the app like hover or land for failsafe, dynamic HP which refreshs itself automatic and disable the 50m limit when no device is connected for gesture mode.. it is getting better and better.. first the 100m limit, now the 50m limit.
Maybe the next will be that the spark will just hover in gesture mode?

Strange is your 25m distance. The distance in beginner mode is not a diameter value. It should be the distance from the HP. It is a radius value.
And also that your RtH settings are ignored is really oddly.

Did you test it at the same spot like the first time?
2017-7-31
Use props
Christian O.
lvl.4
Canada

I did test the latest firmware additions concerning gestures this week-end and my results were a lot less impressive.

Basically, the new firmware seems to have broken everything that was working fine. I can't get the Spark to respond even to the basic palm movement, let alone the fly-away. It work about one in 20 times. This was working fine before.
For the video recording, I was never, ever able to have it working.

I tried under many lighting conditions. Something is clearly wrong as this was working fine.
2017-7-31
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I actually had the same results as the op yesterday evening while testing gesture mode in my yard.  I didn't measure but I assume his measurements are similar to what I noted.  I was testing the video gesture and found it to work, but somewhat sporadically even within 2m.  It was a bit nerve racking to have the drone stop after 25 or so meters, and not respond to ANY gestures, but fortunately I had the RC connected, which allowed me to regain control.  I do hope DJI cleans up gesture mode a bit with future firmware updates.  As it stands right now; I don't completely trust its consistency.  
2017-7-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-7-31 07:28
I actually had the same results as the op yesterday evening while testing gesture mode in my yard.  I didn't measure but I assume his measurements are similar to what I noted.  I was testing the video gesture and found it to work, but somewhat sporadically even within 2m.  It was a bit nerve racking to have the drone stop after 25 or so meters, and not respond to ANY gestures, but fortunately I had the RC connected, which allowed me to regain control.  I do hope DJI cleans up gesture mode a bit with future firmware updates.  As it stands right now; I don't completely trust its consistency.

I don't think we will see longer distance in any upgrade, this seems to be tied in with all dji craft, where everybody has to be signed into dji app or your distance and height are curbed, so if your not using a device you become hampered by this rule, so I don't see this changing except that we might be able to get 50m=D 30m=H.

I don't find much problem with this my phone goes everywhere with me so I don't see the problem in not being signed into the app.
2017-7-31
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree, I also have my phone on me at all times, but some refinement of the gesture mode over time can only benefit us all and will allow for less user error.
2017-7-31
Use props
Dirk52
First Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-7-31 08:30
I agree, I also have my phone on me at all times, but some refinement of the gesture mode over time can only benefit us all and will allow for less user error.

A phone-less version is nicer. I don’t want to connect a phone when I am on the bike or snowboard.
But even with a phone you get 100m max. And this is not enough.
2017-7-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-7-31 08:30

Gesture by and large is your tool for showing off your spark, I have shown a few people how it does face recognition, how it can take Aerial selfies dronie and wave away and land on the hand, I haven't shown anyone video mode yet, because I haven't been able to work it. Children and adults are amazed when it does what it's supposed to do.

In follow mode video what can it do, video the top of your head for 25/50m , you will have no idea what it's videoing until you finish you won't know if your on the edge or in the centre. If you want it to video someone else walking surely you are much better looking at a monitor to see if your getting the right shot.

If you were on a bike or skiing you would have to go so slow you would fall off
It's no great hardship to turn on your wifi phone for active track where you have many more options and much more guaranteed good footage.

Yes I would like to see Jedi moves much sharper and quicker and maybe it will get smarter in time.
2017-7-31
Use props
Tsolsi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1577500 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

And keep in mind that home point otherwise indeed those trees... wish I had known. Here is a video of how the trees could mess up your gesture walk with the home point and low battery. Great topic Malakai, wish I read it before I had to start my topic. Keep up the good work!

and the link of the other topic about what you saw in the video https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... mp;extra=#pid901774

Let's get these improvements going guys!
2017-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules