Maps-Where are they?
4257 36 2017-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dewein
Second Officer
Flight distance : 157746 ft
United States

The only offline maps I have available on my P4P+ are of China.  On my phone I can download local maps.  How do I do it on the RC?
2017-8-1
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Is the aircraft receiving good GPS signal? Have you selected "cache maps in background"?
2017-8-1
Use props
djiuser_OBX9yng
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49593 ft
Italy

Also to me by the same problem... Phantom 4 pro plus
2017-8-1
Use props
Olivier Vietti-
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11618934 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Yes you can, by being connected to wifi, under the tab offline map download choose a card for offline
2017-8-1
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

djiuser_OBX9yng Posted at 2017-8-1 08:29
Also to me by the same problem... Phantom 4 pro plus

turn on RC and Aircraft, turn on wifi. make sure that aircraft is receiving GPS data (better with aircraft outside). In DJI GO 4 turn on "cache map in background"  touch the small map icon to bring the map to full screen. You should see an arrow indicating the aircraft position on the map, and you should also see the map. Squeeze it or enlarge it until you cover the area where you want to fly. At this point you should have cached it. But remember, on the P4P PLUS you can only cache the vector maps, not the satellite view (or so I have been told).
2017-8-1
Use props
dewein
Second Officer
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-8-1 05:51
Is the aircraft receiving good GPS signal? Have you selected "cache maps in background"?

Good GPS signal but I don't have "cache maps in background" on my DJI4Pro+
2017-8-1
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

dewein Posted at 2017-8-1 10:53

Are you sure?
IMG_0039.PNG
2017-8-1
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

dewein Posted at 2017-8-1 10:53

OK, I have googled around, and it seems that for the time being the Cachemaps in background is only an iOS feature, not yet implemented on the PLUS Android version of DJI GO 4... Sorry about that...
2017-8-1
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Had same problem, you need to do the reset from the settings area on the controller that should solve the problem. There are several posts about this, that you can look at
2017-8-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Please try to reset the RC: Settings--system settings--Backup&Reset–Factory data Reset. Then connect the WiFi and enter offline map to download.
2017-8-1
Use props
dewein
Second Officer
United States

Fairly sure.  Sorry for the glare on the screen
2017-8-1
Use props
dewein
Second Officer
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-8-1 11:52
OK, I have googled around, and it seems that for the time being the Cachemaps in background is only an iOS feature, not yet implemented on the PLUS Android version of DJI GO 4... Sorry about that...

No worries. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.  Seems like this missing maps thing is really creating problems.  I hope dji is working on a fix.  I'm starting to think I should return the P4P+ and get a P4P and a tablet.
2017-8-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-8-1 10:18
turn on RC and Aircraft, turn on wifi. make sure that aircraft is receiving GPS data (better with aircraft outside). In DJI GO 4 turn on "cache map in background"  touch the small map icon to bring the map to full screen. You should see an arrow indicating the aircraft position on the map, and you should also see the map. Squeeze it or enlarge it until you cover the area where you want to fly. At this point you should have cached it. But remember, on the P4P PLUS you can only cache the vector maps, not the satellite view (or so I have been told).

It is not necessary to have the aircraft switched on and recieving GPS data, as the maps have nothing to do with GPS reception. They are downloaded from the Internet, so as long as you have an Internet connection you should be able to receive them.
2017-8-1
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-1 21:43
It is not necessary to have the aircraft switched on and recieving GPS data, as the maps have nothing to do with GPS reception. They are downloaded from the Internet, so as long as you have an Internet connection you should be able to receive them.

In general I agree with you, but when there are no maps cached in the device, if you don't have GPS data how would you get the map of the desired area? Having GPS indicating your position would automatically center the maps wouldn't it? Or, this is what I *think* would happen. Not necessary, I agree, but it might help...
2017-8-1
Use props
SouthCoastAir
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1319081 ft
United Kingdom

I'm not sure on the P4 Pro - do you have the 'white' intro screen to the app where the links to Skypixel etc are in the 'normal' Android App? If so click on the three withe bars at the top - the option for offline maps is in there. You don't need GPS, just an internet connection - select the area you want to download and away you go
2017-8-2
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

SouthCoastAir Posted at 2017-8-2 01:18
I'm not sure on the P4 Pro - do you have the 'white' intro screen to the app where the links to Skypixel etc are in the 'normal' Android App? If so click on the three withe bars at the top - the option for offline maps is in there. You don't need GPS, just an internet connection - select the area you want to download and away you go

Hi SouthCoastAir, this is what appears on a P4P with iOS.The offline maps are in the general setting, after you enter the aircraft (enter device). I certainly wish the DJI GO4 App would show the same menus across the different platforms...
IMG_0040.PNG
2017-8-2
Use props
SouthCoastAir
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1319081 ft
United Kingdom

Android version
2017-8-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-8-1 23:30
In general I agree with you, but when there are no maps cached in the device, if you don't have GPS data how would you get the map of the desired area? Having GPS indicating your position would automatically center the maps wouldn't it? Or, this is what I *think* would happen. Not necessary, I agree, but it might help...

If I read you correctly, you appear to be under the impression that the maps come from the GPS service. They do not. The GPS receiver only provides a set of co-ordinates, the maps themselves come from map providers like Google and Here Maps and are delivered to you via the Internet, which is why you have to be connected to the Internet via Wifi or cell to get maps in the first place to cache.
2017-8-2
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-2 02:58
If I read you correctly, you appear to be under the impression that the maps come from the GPS service. They do not. The GPS receiver only provides a set of co-ordinates, the maps themselves come from map providers like Google and Here Maps and are delivered to you via the Internet, which is why you have to be connected to the Internet via Wifi or cell to get maps in the first place to cache.

No, I know where the maps come from. Storks delivers them neatly tucked in a sort of big handkerchief hanging from their beak...   But if I have GPS on, either on the aircraft linked to the App, or in my iPad, the map I access will be centered -either automatically or by clicking on a button- on the position of my device... making it easier for me to get around ...

stork bringing maps.jpg
2017-8-2
Use props
CanonMax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-8-2 03:49
No, I know where the maps come from. Storks delivers them neatly tucked in a sort of big handkerchief hanging from their beak...   But if I have GPS on, either on the aircraft linked to the App, or in my iPad, the map I access will be centered -either automatically or by clicking on a button- on the position of my device... making it easier for me to get around ...

I discovered that in case you do not get to see the or any map, you'll ( well I did that) have to open the menu on the top RIGHT of this white opening screen (that hamburger/three horizontal stripes) and click on "find my drone". A bit silly but after that I got my maps back....
And they're still there...

No stork needed in my case not even an uiver
2017-8-2
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

CanonMax Posted at 2017-8-2 05:03
I discovered that in case you do not get to see the or any map, you'll ( well I did that) have to open the menu on the top RIGHT of this white opening screen (that hamburger/three horizontal stripes) and click on "find my drone". A bit silly but after that I got my maps back....
And they're still there...

The Uiver may not be needed, especially after its sad end...  but it looks like a copy was restored and was at Texel Airshow in 2007. Do you know if it is still around?
2017-8-2
Use props
dewein
Second Officer
United States

UPDATE  Okay so after a reset.... it begins with "Acquiring Offline City List" and then I get "Network Unavailable".  If I try entering a search but as soon as I type a letter it says "No Relevant Data Found".   I have a good WiFi signal so does that mean the network that the RC is trying to connect to for maps is down?
2017-8-2
Use props
Mike Mas
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Gee guys do some of you old timers like me remember the old gps Garmin units?

Those high tech $49 units had the maps built in them and  did not need no damn cell towers. Would seem logical to me if they are going to install a map in a monitor that only works on wifi there would be a chip to display the terrain.

Of course there still is the option of bring an old Gulf Motor Oil paper map with you when you fly!

Regards
2017-8-2
Use props
CanonMax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-8-2 05:20
The Uiver may not be needed, especially after its sad end...  but it looks like a copy was restored and was at Texel Airshow in 2007. Do you know if it is still around?

As you know, the first one only served the KLM for about 3-4 months (1939)
The second Uiver should still exist... there is some info about the Uiver in Dutch on Wikipedia but that should be no problem for a real Dane....

Take care!
2017-8-2
Use props
K3Mike
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38855 ft
United States

I have the same problem on my P4P+ controller and I did a factory reset (which was posted in a previous thread as a solution https://forum.dji.com/thread-99339-1-1.html) numerous times and it did not work. I even sent my controller in for "repair" last month and it still does not work. They didn't fix it. This is pretty annoying. This is with update v01.02.01.00. Any solutions?

Just be clear -- this is the P4 Pro Plus with the integrated display on the controller. The maps work if you use an Android phone with the DJI GO 4 app, but this doesn't help those of us with the integrated display -- you can't connect it to the P4P+ controller.
]
2017-8-9
Use props
Thexder
lvl.1
Flight distance : 685869 ft
Australia

I have the same issue and no matter how many times I do a factory reset it doesn't fix the problem.
2017-9-7
Use props
KEDDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

K3Mike Posted at 2017-8-9 19:35
I have the same problem on my P4P+ controller and I did a factory reset (which was posted in a previous thread as a solution https://forum.dji.com/thread-99339-1-1.html) numerous times and it did not work. I even sent my controller in for "repair" last month and it still does not work. They didn't fix it. This is pretty annoying. This is with update v01.02.01.00. Any solutions?

Just be clear -- this is the P4 Pro Plus with the integrated display on the controller. The maps work if you use an Android phone with the DJI GO 4 app, but this doesn't help those of us with the integrated display -- you can't connect it to the P4P+ controller.

After reset of the controler, first thing to do is to make sure WIFI is connected, the WIFI setup also clear out during the reset.

When WIFI is in place and connected, it should be as simple as entering the Map settings from fourth icon on top, see picture below, in here it should be a PoC to download the map needed (and possibly also some not needed as the thing sometimes click when one tries to scroll up and down!).

When the offline maps has been downloaded it should show up in the map window of the Go4 app.
As so many other things on this thing, it is far from stable, often it works, often it don't, specially in the flight log i have a lot of issues with those damed maps.

Enter this to manage maps

Enter this to manage maps
2017-9-10
Use props
KEDDK
First Officer
Denmark

Thexder Posted at 2017-9-7 17:46
I have the same issue and no matter how many times I do a factory reset it doesn't fix the problem.

Hopefully the above post help a little.
And factory reset, hopefully it is the RC and not AC that get the reset, right? ;-)
2017-9-10
Use props
Thexder
lvl.1
Australia

Still no luck.  I was aware that the wifi needs to be set up after each reset.  Even when connected at home I still get "Network Unavailable".  
I've done Clear Cache on the DJI Go app and a Factory reset on the controller to no avail.

I have none of these issues if I use the DJI Go app on my Samsung phone.
Unfortunately since I have the Pro + I'm stuck using the built on display.
2017-9-13
Use props
ZiggyM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 132566 ft
Australia

Start RC and don't go into flight mode. You have a four icons at the top left corner.
Number four is offline map download (next one after settings icon - second one is your logbook). When you connected to WiFi you can choose region and country.
I hope this will help.
2017-9-13
Use props
Thexder
lvl.1
Australia

ZiggyM Posted at 2017-9-13 21:39
Start RC and don't go into flight mode. You have a four icons at the top left corner.
Number four is offline map download (next one after settings icon - second one is your logbook). When you connected to WiFi you can choose region and country.
I hope this will help.

I know where the offline map as I've used this option on my phone but on the Phantom 4 Pro+ when you go into it there are no countries listed and after a scan it comes up with "Network Unavailable".  Nothing is listed and I'm stuck with how I can fix this.
2017-9-14
Use props
K3Mike
lvl.1
United States

KEDDK Posted at 2017-9-10 01:54
After reset of the controler, first thing to do is to make sure WIFI is connected, the WIFI setup also clear out during the reset.

When WIFI is in place and connected, it should be as simple as entering the Map settings from fourth icon on top, see picture below, in here it should be a PoC to download the map needed (and possibly also some not needed as the thing sometimes click when one tries to scroll up and down!).

Update. The suggestion in this message did not work for me either a month ago. However, the recent update I installed today NOW WORKS. Finally I get the maps. I'd be curious if others can now get the maps on the P4P+
2017-10-22
Use props
K3Mike
lvl.1
United States

K3Mike Posted at 2017-10-22 10:16
Update. The suggestion in this message did not work for me either a month ago. However, the recent update I installed today NOW WORKS. Finally I get the maps. I'd be curious if others can now get the maps on the P4P+

Note: This is with system update  V01.02.02.00.   GO4 App 4.1.6.  App DB 01.00.01.07.
2017-10-22
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Thexder Posted at 2017-9-14 15:45
I know where the offline map as I've used this option on my phone but on the Phantom 4 Pro+ when you go into it there are no countries listed and after a scan it comes up with "Network Unavailable".  Nothing is listed and I'm stuck with how I can fix this.

Does it get on the network, can you sync your logs, getting update warnings etc., it sound like it don't.

If have had no problems downloading the maps after i read about the reset of RC. That the maps is lacking of details of my area and the use of it in the app works like sh.. is another thing, but i had no problems with the download.
2017-10-22
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

K3Mike Posted at 2017-10-22 10:16

What version did you upgrade from?

I have had a lot of issues using them on 1.2.1.0 (app 4.1.4) but the download itself has working from  1.2.0.0 after i read about the RC reset.
I have yet  to experience how they work in the latest (1.2.2.0) ;-)
2017-10-22
Use props
Thexder
lvl.1
Australia

KedDK Posted at 2017-10-22 11:52
Does it get on the network, can you sync your logs, getting update warnings etc., it sound like it don't.

If have had no problems downloading the maps after i read about the reset of RC. That the maps is lacking of details of my area and the use of it in the app works like sh.. is another thing, but i had no problems with the download.

Until the latest update nothing I did would give me maps on my controller.  Now I have them. Yay
2017-11-2
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Thexder Posted at 2017-11-2 14:49
Until the latest update nothing I did would give me maps on my controller.  Now I have them. Yay

Good to hear that you get it solved,, hopefully the next update won't trash it again.
2017-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules