12Next >
4283 45 2017-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JackP
lvl.1
Flight distance : 146385 ft
United States

I've had my P3A for about a month now and I absolutely love it. I'm currently using it with my Google Pixel. The Pixel wasn't on the list of compatiable devices for DJI Go which worried me initially but it works for me depsite an occasional app crash during the flight.

However, I am now itching for a bigger screen so I am looking at getting a new tablet. I know there are a lot of posts about tablet recommendations but I wanted a more updated answer. I've noticed that a lot people say that IOS devices seem to work the best with DJI Go but the newer ones are just too expensive. My quadcopter is more for a hobby so I don't need a top notch tablet like the new IPads. But even the IPad mini 2 is going for a little over $200 which is just too much for me.

One of the tablets i'm currently looking at is the Samsung Tab A 8-inch and possibly the Tab E lite. Has anyone had any expierence with these tablets? Does DJI Go run well on them? Are there any other less expensive tablets that work well?

Thanks for the help.
2017-8-1
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Nexus 7 2013 (not the original Nexus 7) works great with Go 4.

25+ hours of flawless flying for me. Very bright screen also. I picked mine up for about $130 new on Ebay.
2017-8-1
Use props
JackP
lvl.1
United States

microlinux Posted at 2017-8-1 14:00
The Nexus 7 2013 (not the original Nexus 7) works great with Go 4.

25+ hours of flawless flying for me. Very bright screen also. I picked mine up for about $130 new on Ebay.

Thanks for the reply.

I will definitely look into that one.  
2017-8-1
Use props
fansad57b8c0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 341785 ft
Italy

One of the best tablet for Phantom is also Nvidia Shield K1, you can find it used at around $100-150
2017-8-2
Use props
Bracco
Second Officer
Flight distance : 244856 ft
Italy

fansad57b8c0 Posted at 2017-8-2 00:51
One of the best tablet for Phantom is also Nvidia Shield K1, you can find it used at around $100-150

I am using an nvidia shield and i am very happy: no freeze, no app crash!
I use it only when i flew so there aren't tons of app installed.
2017-8-2
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Bracco Posted at 2017-8-2 01:16

I just picked up the Samsung Tab A, no problems with the Go App or the Go 4 App, 4 core processor, 1.5GB RAM, 1.5GZ processor speed, 8GB Internal HD, has a Micro SD Card slot as well that will accept 128GB expansion. Android 5.1 Lollipop OS.

On sale @ Best Buy : Samsung Tab A
2017-8-2
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-8-2 01:35
I just picked up the Samsung Tab A, no problems with the Go App or the Go 4 App, 4 core processor, 1.5GB RAM, 1.5GZ processor speed, 8GB Internal HD, has a Micro SD Card slot as well that will accept 128GB expansion. Android 5.1 Lollipop OS.

On sale @ Best Buy :  Samsung Tab A

Just a word of advice.....turn off your auto-update so it doesn't upgrade your OS and you end up with Nougat on it.
Good pic by the way. I personally have the Shield K1 and it works real well too, but had to roll it back after an auto update. They may have the bugs worked out by now, but most will probably agree if it works well for you, leave it with your current OS version. Actually I am running Ver. 6.0 Marshmallow and it is ok too. But the 7.0 Nougat crashed on my device the couple times I tried to use it. Just my opinion!
2017-8-2
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-8-2 07:17
Just a word of advice.....turn off your auto-update so it doesn't upgrade your OS and you end up with Nougat on it.
Good pic by the way. I personally have the Shield K1 and it works real well too, but had to roll it back after an auto update. They may have the bugs worked out by now, but most will probably agree if it works well for you, leave it with your current OS version. Actually I am running Ver. 6.0 Marshmallow and it is ok too. But the 7.0 Nougat crashed on my device the couple times I tried to use it. Just my opinion!

Thanks for the Heads Up, much appreciated !
2017-8-2
Use props
JackP
lvl.1
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-8-2 01:35

On sale @ Best Buy :  Samsung Tab A

I'm leaning toward getting the Samsung Tab A, so thanks for the info!
Quick question, do you have most updated version of the DJI Go app? I've noticed some people with a Tab A had issues with the newer versions of the app. Would you find this to be true or is everything working?
2017-8-2
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-8-2 08:08
Thanks for the Heads Up, much appreciated !

Your welcome! Just trying to keep a fellow pilot out of trouble. LOL Nothing worse than getting blind-sided by something like that auto update. Most of the time we don't think about it with all of our other devices, it is usually something we all welcome and normally works out for the best, but I learned a hard lesson like so many others with my phantom and that GO app. Enjoy you flying.
2017-8-2
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-8-2 08:19
Your welcome! Just trying to keep a fellow pilot out of trouble. LOL Nothing worse than getting blind-sided by something like that auto update. Most of the time we don't think about it with all of our other devices, it is usually something we all welcome and normally works out for the best, but I learned a hard lesson like so many others with my phantom and that GO app. Enjoy you flying.

2017-8-2
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

Samsung Tablet 8A, for both the go app, and litchi on a P3S, 2 separate tablets to keep them apart... Like em so far
2017-8-2
Use props
JackP
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm likely going to go with the Samsung Tab A 8-inch. Any other opinions are still greatly appreciated and I would love to hear more of people's experiences with the Tab A.
2017-8-2
Use props
FlanniganFlyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146473 ft
United Kingdom

Nvidia shield k1 tablet great bright device reasonably priced and an added bonus that iOS can't do easily, screen record, the Nvidia has a built in screen recorder, so you can see all the telemetry on your footage
2017-8-2
Use props
kndll
Second Officer
Flight distance : 930161 ft
Canada

Galaxy TAB S2 8 inch ,  dual quad cores , 3gb of ram
2017-8-2
Use props
Goofy1148
New
Flight distance : 28665 ft
United States

I have a Tab A 10.1 and it runs fine  There was a small problem at first with the tablet connecting to app, but you just need to go into "developer options" in setup and change how the USB is used to "ethernet"  Haven't had a problem since.  No crashes or freeze ups yet, only had p3a for a week  I like the Tab so much I'm getting another one, since the one I'm using is the wife and kids...so it's never charged when I need it  
2017-8-2
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

Good luck finding one. They do not make them anymore. Sold out everywhere. Used ones on eBay are going for $200-250.
2017-8-3
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

The best tablet to use is an apple product. Like the Ipad mini 4. DJI seems to make the software to work best with IOS. I have a K1 shield and Ipad mini4. I never use the K1 anymore because the mini 4 works so much better. I do not even like Apple stuff, I have android phone, tv etc. But the ipad is flawless with the DJI products.
Does anyone want to buy a Nvidia K1 Shield. Used four times, with box. Mint condition.
2017-8-3
Use props
Damon.0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 341785 ft
Italy

Probably you're right about best tablet = apple product

I'd have to change my post like "One of the best Android tablet for Phantom is also Nvidia Shield K1"

In Italy we can yet find some used K1, I bought mine 2 months ago in an Italian site of used stuff.

Now I'm curious to try an apple product, I've never tried it
2017-8-4
Use props
fansd77b4cd0
lvl.2
New Zealand

I also think an apple product works best as well, I have an iPad Mini 4 and it works completely fine plus, it's nice and small and fits easily in my backpack (manfrotto d1). I've used my Samsung Galaxy S8 a few times as well and have never had an issue, I way prefer using a tablet though. A lot of people use the iPad pro and ipad Air 2, and I've heard good things about them running the app. If you really wanted android could always try the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, but I reckon Apple is the better bet, for now at least. You cancheck out this comparisonof the different tablets that are good for the dji go app.
2017-9-23
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Damon.0 Posted at 2017-8-4 00:55
Probably you're right about best tablet = apple product

I'd have to change my post like "One of the best Android tablet for Phantom is also Nvidia Shield K1"

I have had a couple of the NVidia shields and still have one. Only thing with the Apple products is they are very expensive. But now that the Nvidia is no longer being manufactured, it will costs a lot more to even get an android that will compare with the Apple stuff. I do think that DJI has some sort of deal with Apple. I think the Apple is by far the preferred device, but I am just not an Apple fan I guess. An even if I am forced to replace my shield some day, I will probably get an android device that I use just for flying. probably root the device and take off all the apps & stuff I don't need.
2017-9-25
Use props
hward51
lvl.1
Flight distance : 144 ft

United States

You can't go wrong with Nvidia Shield K1 !!!
2017-9-25
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

The best would be the Apple iPad Pro 9.7 A10X (Which may need an extended clamp piece added as it is tight in some DJI RC clamps.  DJI, you need a taller tablet clamp too!

Personally, I would not use an Android at all coming from using them.  Various apps are freeware so they are allowed all over the place and run in the background and eat into GO 4 which needs all the processing power it can get else you get video lag.  Even GO 4 will start and run in the background at times too on my Samsung phone and tablet.  That shouldn't happen.  I have a camera blocker running as well and it will tell me some 69 different apps need to use the camera if I don't activate the camera killer app.  That's ridiculous to allow that much spyware and bloatware to run behind the scenes.  Android almost needs to be rooted to the basic OS and never add an app to it.

The Apple iPad gear seems to keep that snoopware and bloatware from self-starting so GO 4 runs better on the Apple system overall.  I hated to go to Apple overall due to cost, but I now understand their methodology a bit better.  I spent a lot of money buying Android gear to find it just isn't that good of an OS given Google needs and allows sundry data to run behind the scenes for marketing and app makers both.  With Android 7, I get too many "Review your current location, Menu, Photograph the location, Traffic delays, Etc." nonsense in the drop-down menu running in the background.  Talk about spyware run amok!

Get the iPad Pro 9.7 A10X model and cry once.  Beats buying a lot of Android stuff which can cost you a lot more in the long haul as GO evolves too.

My two-cent opinion.

2017-9-25
Use props
Vasilis A
lvl.1
Greece

Bracco Posted at 2017-8-2 01:16

Bracco , just wondering if you have enabled the “cache locally when recording” and cache to SD card” options when flying.
I get a crazy lag-delay in image when this options are on.
It is very annoying! I use the  samsung galaxy tab S. It has a 3GB RAM and 8 processors running marshmallow 6.0.1 and only the GO4 App installed on it, but can’t get rid of the lag.
I would like to be able to use all the features of the GO4 app.
Im thinking of down grading to 5.0.1 lollipop .
2017-9-25
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-9-25 06:55
The best would be the Apple iPad Pro 9.7 A10X (Which may need an extended clamp piece added as it is tight in some DJI RC clamps.  DJI, you need a taller tablet clamp too!

Personally, I would not use an Android at all coming from using them.  Various apps are freeware so they are allowed all over the place and run in the background and eat into GO 4 which needs all the processing power it can get else you get video lag.  Even GO 4 will start and run in the background at times too on my Samsung phone and tablet.  That shouldn't happen.  I have a camera blocker running as well and it will tell me some 69 different apps need to use the camera if I don't activate the camera killer app.  That's ridiculous to allow that much spyware and bloatware to run behind the scenes.  Android almost needs to be rooted to the basic OS and never add an app to it.

I;m running the Shield also, anyone in Canada, Canada Computers has about 20 of the nividia shield on their shelves in the Newmarket, Ontario  store.
I wanted a device for my Mavic pro, Samsung phone worked okay, but screen to small.
Being an android guy had issues finding a good sized tablet for a reasonable cost. I took the advise of a guy over at Mavic site & bought the Acer Iconia one, on sale at 88 bucks, 7" tablet works great on the Mavic- no lag, no blackouts at all after a month of flying.
Just for fun & hooked the Acer up to my Phantom & it works with no drama, for the cost, (anywhere from 85 to 101.00 Can.) tough to beat the Acer iconia. Just be sure to get the one with the MedTek processor, seems the others have issues.
2017-9-25
Use props
Bracco
Second Officer
Italy

Vasilis A Posted at 2017-9-25 07:43
Bracco , just wondering if you have enabled the “cache locally when recording” and cache to SD card” options when flying.
I get a crazy lag-delay in image when this options are on.
It is very annoying! I use the  samsung galaxy tab S. It has a 3GB RAM and 8 processors running marshmallow 6.0.1 and only the GO4 App installed on it, but can’t get rid of the lag.

Yes, i have enabled this option. Sometimes i have a bit of lag, but only when my phantom is very very far (2 km). do you have lag also when is very near to you?
2017-9-25
Use props
Vasilis A
lvl.1
Greece

Bracco Posted at 2017-9-25 21:53
Yes, i have enabled this option. Sometimes i have a bit of lag, but only when my phantom is very very far (2 km). do you have lag also when is very near to you?

Sadly yes. it lags all the time no mater what the distance..
2017-9-26
Use props
Bracco
Second Officer
Italy

Vasilis A Posted at 2017-9-26 11:10
Sadly yes. it lags all the time no mater what the distance..

Have you tried to use another tablet/phone? If you have the same lag with another device maybe is the phantom hardware.
2017-9-26
Use props
Vasilis A
lvl.1
Greece

Bracco Posted at 2017-9-26 21:33
Have you tried to use another tablet/phone? If you have the same lag with another device maybe is the phantom hardware.

im pretty sure it the app. it doesn't like some android versions. works great with IOS but then again DJI builds their apps around apple firs .
2017-9-27
Use props
Bracco
Second Officer
Italy

Vasilis A Posted at 2017-9-27 11:01
im pretty sure it the app. it doesn't like some android versions. works great with IOS but then again DJI builds their apps around apple firs .

I see I am sorry but i can't help you
2017-9-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bracco Posted at 2017-9-26 21:33

The Phantom is never the cause of the lag, it is the phone or tablet you are using, period.
2017-9-27
Use props
Bracco
Second Officer
Italy

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-27 21:43
The Phantom is never the cause of the lag, it is the phone or tablet you are using, period.

Well i read some posts where the problem was the cable of the pahantom camera.
2017-9-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bracco Posted at 2017-9-27 22:59
Well i read some posts where the problem was the cable of the pahantom camera.

If you are talking about the ribbon cable that connects the camera to the image processor electronics, then if it is faulty, image lag is the least of your problems.
2017-9-28
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

JackP Posted at 2017-8-2 11:26
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm likely going to go with the Samsung Tab A 8-inch. Any other opinions are still greatly appreciated and I would love to hear more of people's experiences with the Tab A.

The Samsung Tab A  was the first Tab I bought for my P3 Standard and my P3 Pro.  I got it mainly because of the price at WalMart.  I think at the time it was around $150.00 USD.  I had no trouble at first.  But as the Go app got more and more complex with updates, I found that the screen (video) would sometimes freeze.  I learned to deal with it by flying the Pro with the Tab in Airplane mode, and turning off all other apps.  I also turned off Updates.  I still use it for the P3S and the pro.  But I keep a close eye on the screen to catch any freezing before I hit something.
2017-9-28
Use props
Zippo43
lvl.3
Flight distance : 387126 ft
United States

djordan2 Posted at 2017-9-28 18:45
The Samsung Tab A  was the first Tab I bought for my P3 Standard and my P3 Pro.  I got it mainly because of the price at WalMart.  I think at the time it was around $150.00 USD.  I had no trouble at first.  But as the Go app got more and more complex with updates, I found that the screen (video) would sometimes freeze.  I learned to deal with it by flying the Pro with the Tab in Airplane mode, and turning off all other apps.  I also turned off Updates.  I still use it for the P3S and the pro.  But I keep a close eye on the screen to catch any freezing before I hit something.

Thanks some great Advice !   Another  Samsung Tab User .
2017-10-5
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

kndll Posted at 2017-8-2 14:12

i second TAB S2

been using the 10.4" and very happy
- very large QHD AMOLED screen
- brightest screen of any tablet 540knits (yes, brighter than all the ipads)
- microSD slot, so you can review actual footage right away
- works fine for me with both Go 4 and Litchi
2017-10-6
Use props
Sasquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Ipad air 2. Using autopilot. Absolutely awesome, and never crashes.
2017-10-6
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 135564 ft
United States

Sebb Posted at 2017-10-6 06:02
i second TAB S2

been using the 10.4" and very happy

I'm curious Sebb.  What version of Android are you running on the Tab S2?
2017-10-8
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 135564 ft
United States

kndll Posted at 2017-8-2 14:12

I'm curious kndll.  What version of Android are you running on the Tab S2?
2017-10-8
Use props
kndll
Second Officer
Flight distance : 930161 ft
Canada

cleamon Posted at 2017-10-8 10:52
I'm curious kndll.  What version of Android are you running on the Tab S2?

Nougat 7.0
2017-10-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules