Using "Find My Drone"
16879 15 2017-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sliderul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 501942 ft
United States

I had an experience worth sharing with users that might lose their Spark for whatever reason. I was flying my spark in a new area using the RC connected to my Android phone using an OTG cable. I was about to take some photos from 200 ft elevation and a thousand fee away when I felt wind swirling around me and received a warning from the Spark about high wind and to fly with caution. I immediately started to return and almost simultaneously lost connection and I couldn't recover. I was sure the RTH function would work and that connection would be reestablished, but after a few minutes it was clear that Sparkie wasn't returning. I let fly with a few expression not be repeated and figured $500 was down the drain, then I remembered seeing the option to "Find My Drone" in the DJI GO 4 app. Sure enough, hit the menu option in the upper right hand corner and the last option listed is Find My Drone. In desparation, I hit that option and almost immediately saw the position of my drone and myself. I had do drive aways to get to the location and even though the two markers were superimposed on the screen I couldn't see the drone. Looking at the app again I see the option to request Sparkie to beep so I tried it and immediately heard the sound around the corner from my position. I was amazed and relieved to find the drone resting quietly on the bottom level of a children's slippery slide. The drone was still on and sending a position signal. I don't know why I lost connection, but I suspect the swirling wind included a severe downdraft and the drone was pushed down such that some heavy transmission wires were between me and the drone. I still think it should have returned to the home point, and can't explain why it didn't do so. However, I am very impressed with the "Find My Drone" application.
2017-8-1
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Last resort! thanks for sharing.
2017-8-1
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
United States

i am happy that this worked in lost connection , i am relay surprised about that. I thought that it will not work in such a situation .  And can you put here a log from this flight, meaybe we can see why it didint go in RTH
http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2017-8-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

So glad to hear that you've found it. For the RTH issue, was the drone recorded the Home Point? Could you please refer to the link below to export the data for analysis? Upload them to the Dropbox, then provide me the link to download them.
2017-8-2
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

soo... what were you taking pictures of near a children's slide ehh?... just kidding haha
2017-8-2
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125256 ft
United States

Didn't know about the ability to have it beep, or flash the lights.  Again, something not in the manual that should be.  Great post!  
2017-8-2
Use props
Millo
lvl.2
Puerto Rico

just thinking. if high wind will cause the spark to flip it 90 degrees from horizontal the internal sensors will instantly detect that it’s lost horizon and shut down?
2017-8-2
Use props
Sliderul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 501942 ft
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-2 02:10
So glad to hear that you've found it. For the RTH issue, was the drone recorded the Home Point? Could you please refer to the link below to export the data for analysis? Upload them to the Dropbox, then provide me the link to download them.DJI Quick Tips - Spark - Exporting the Flight Data

Sorry, I tried to upload the data you requested, but I've flown the drone several times since the incident I described and the data had been over-written.
2017-8-2
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

Millo Posted at 2017-8-2 08:25
just thinking. if high wind will cause the spark to flip it 90 degrees from horizontal the internal sensors will instantly detect that it’s lost horizon and shut down?

yes , you can that way in emergency turn off the motors if hand-held . But i was watching some videos on YT and guy with a leaf-blower tried to get spark to flip and it was a no-no. so i think its to nimble to flip from the gust of winds
2017-8-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Sliderul Posted at 2017-8-2 14:30
Sorry, I tried to upload the data you requested, but I've flown the drone several times since the incident I described and the data had been over-written.

Sorry to say that we may not be able to figure out what happened without the data.
2017-8-3
Use props
Svanen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2022887 ft
Denmark

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-3 00:24
Sorry to say that we may not be able to figure out what happened without the data.

Hi Diana
Hope you can help, sorry if it is the wrong forum!

I have 2 phantom 4 adv. Plus
How do I see bogh drones in “find my drone” is there a way?
BR Michael
2017-12-6
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Svanen Posted at 2017-12-6 15:22
Hi Diana
Hope you can help, sorry if it is the wrong forum!

HI Michael, so far, there is no "Find My Drone" on the built-in screen. Anyway, we'll forward the request to the engineers, hope they can take it into consideration.
2017-12-6
Use props
djiuser_97l2EFH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

Thank you for the heads up! I saw that feature and was wondering how it would work in a signal loss scenario.
2017-12-6
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

I was wondering why so many people reporting fly aways etc or asking questions about attaching 3rd party tracking devices don't use this feature??
2017-12-7
Use props
Buddy McCall
New
United States

The exact same thing happened to me but I haven't been able to find my DJI Spark.
2019-3-2
Use props
Buddy McCall
New
United States

The exact same thing happened to me but I still haven't been able to find my DJI spark.
Screenshot_2019-03-02-11-33-06(1).png
2019-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules