Using the DJI editor
1847 4 2017-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

I've got questions about how to use the DJI editor built into the Go app.  Would I have to save the entire video on to my phone first?  Cellphones do not have a whole lot of memory so if that's the case that could be a problem.  Editing just the cached version seems pointless.  Is there anyway to use the DJI editor from a computer?  I like the editor and I am frustrated by the lack of 4K editors on the market despite the prevelence of 4K so using the DJI one would be great, but is that possible?

Walk me through it, imagine I have just finished shooting and have powered down my Osmo+, what do I do next to use the DJI editor on the full 4K video files?

FYI, I am using the old version of Go, the version just before the mandatory sign in and forced dynamic NFZs which I will not accept.
2017-8-2
Use props
dronesinairs
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I do not believe in editing mode it will even play 4k footage. Also the editor will only ever output at 720p. I was hoping the Crystalsky would do automovie 1080p atleast but nope . Vote link https://forum.dji.com/thread-103078-1-1.html
2017-8-2
Use props
lvl.4
United States

dronesinairs Posted at 2017-8-2 11:38
I do not believe in editing mode it will even play 4k footage. Also the editor will only ever output at 720p. I was hoping the Crystalsky would do automovie 1080p atleast but nope . Vote link https://forum.dji.com/thread-103078-1-1.html

Fantastic, so DJI sells us a 4K camera but doesn't even build their own editing software to handle it.  Just like selling us automatic time lapse as a feature (one of the big reasons why I bought the Osmo actually, and motion time lapse sealed the deal for the Osmo+ over the Osmo standard) only to down rez that to 720P as well.  I bought a 4K camera because I want 4K footage, not freaking 720P, hell they couldn't even manage full HD.  What is the point of 4K if all your footage comes out at 720P?

DJI is severely angering me lately, this is just one more for the list, but to be fair they aren't alone in this, for whatever strange freaking reason it seems most editing software insists on down rezzing output for no reason, unless ofcourse you want to shell out $500+ for a bunch of features the average user will never use then sign up for an ultra expensive subscription service to continue to use the software you already bought and paid for.  Seriously, what is the point of a 4K camera when you can't use it?  What really angers me though is that the DJI editor is the software DJI includes to edit the footage from their own 4K camera that they sell, only it still only produces 720P.  What the hell DJI?  Deceptive marketing at it's finest "buy our 4K camera with all these features and even an included editing suite!" "Oh by the way, none of that stuff works in 4K."
2017-8-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are sorry for the unpleasant experience with our APP. The editor in APP only supports 1080P or lower resolution video at the moment.
The size of 4K video is too big and the CPU of mobile phone hardly supports them, even some computers cannot play them fluently because of hardware limit.
We would apologize if there is any inconvenience caused.
2017-8-2
Use props
dronesinairs
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-2 23:33
We are sorry for the unpleasant experience with our APP. The editor in APP only supports 1080P or lower resolution video at the moment.
The size of 4K video is too big and the CPU of mobile phone hardly supports them, even some computers cannot play them fluently because of hardware limit.

Oh does the app output in 1080p? All my 4k videos get cached as 720 so it only outputs at 720p.
2017-8-3
Use props
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-2 23:33

Still, you clearly market a 4K camera with certain features (and the editor) yet fail to disclose that none of that works in 4K.

As for the editor, I see two workarounds for your stated problem:

Use the cached footage as a template, let the app work as it does now, but then allow an option to save the video as a configuration file instead, then either reload that file to the camera to have it simply delete or rearrange footage and add an audio track, or let it be used in an external program on a computer to then auto edit the 4K footage.

That brings me to the next option, create a version of the editor that can run on a computer, kindof like DJI assistant, that will be able to work with the 4K files.  Keep the editor on the phone for those who don't care if their footage is down rezed, but let the rest have the same functionality on a computer.
2017-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules