Obstacle avoidance
857 6 2017-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8327 ft
United States

Can someone tell me the difference in the Cameras on the front and back and the sensors on the side used for obstacle avoidance?

Why not just use all cameras?

Are the sensors on the side just as good as Cameras?

Any idea why it's constructed in this manner?

Thank you!

Joe Glenn
2017-8-4
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

The side sensors are short range, wont see obstacles soon enough if you fly sideways at high speed, that's why they are not active in normal flight modes.  The front and rear ones can see long distance giving plenty of time to put the brakes on.

Most people don't fly sideways at high speed so the much cheaper sensors used are considered adequate.  Cost is the answer.
2017-8-4
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-8-4 09:07
The side sensors are short range, wont see obstacles soon enough if you fly sideways at high speed, that's why they are not active in normal flight modes.  The front and rear ones can see long distance giving plenty of time to put the brakes on.

Most people don't fly sideways at high speed so the much cheaper sensors used are considered adequate.  Cost is the answer.

Nigel,

Thank you very much for your answer. I've wondered that for a long time. So do you think we will see true 360-degree dependable obstacle avoidance anytime soon in a Phantom class of aircraft? I've been waiting on that to upgrade.
2017-8-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans9a7c0aa0 Posted at 2017-8-4 18:17
Nigel,

Thank you very much for your answer. I've wondered that for a long time. So do you think we will see true 360-degree dependable obstacle avoidance anytime soon in a Phantom class of aircraft? I've been waiting on that to upgrade.

It takes a huge amount of processing power and has only been in development for a short time.
For now it's much safer and easier to just keep away from environments where you might need OA.
2017-8-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans9a7c0aa0 Posted at 2017-8-4 18:17
Nigel,

'So do you think we will see true 360-degree dependable obstacle avoidance anytime soon in a Phantom class of aircraft?'

No. Paticularly if you focus on the word 'dependable'. Even now, the system is not dependable and probably never wil be. The issue is things the sensors cannot see, coupled with the idea that many people have that you can fly full throttle at a cliff or wall and the sensors will stop the aircraft.

A single power line wire is enough to bring down a Phantom, but is nearly invisible to any camera until it is right on top of it and it is too late. And in technological terms, there is no other technology that can detect them either.

There is a very good video clip taken by an Australian flyer in 4K where he is flying along and just barely passes over a power line, missing it by mere inches. And even with a camera that has 4K resolution, it would have hit the wire before it could have been detected and the aircraft stopped.
2017-8-4
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
United States

I know power lines are a problem as a Private Pilot. That's one of the reasons roads are not the best engine out option as they often have power lines running along them that you can't see until it's too late. I was hoping however for some dependable bigger objects like buildings mountains Lush Trees etc.
2017-8-19
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
United States

Great answer Nigel!
2017-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules