Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
US ARMY abort DJI drones
1234Next >
9443 121 2017-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-8-5
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

2017-8-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-8-5 12:56
Maybe you shouldn't try and create a smokescreen in a feeble attempt to draw discussion away from the actions of DJI that are catching up with them. Go along now.

You will find this discussion was hijacked by the likes of you, now skip along yourself. Read the heading to the thread,
2017-8-5
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

2017-8-5
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-4 17:25
It is abolutely fascinating to read rthe complete rubbish posted here. All these reports about data being sent back to China all come from people who have no idea how technology works. My aircraft has been flown since day one with no internet or WiFi connection whatsoever, and so can yours. Therefore there is no pathway at all to send information anywhere.

Don't sync you flights to DJI and no information will be sent to them, disable cell and WiFi connections and all you will lose is the mapping capability, so if you are flying according to the laws of every country, you won't need the maps because you can see where the aircraft is with the naked eye.

Does your drone not connect to upto 18 satellites!
Just like a satnav in your car it can tell you exactly where you are at what time!  And so it can tell them!!!
You don't need a wifi connection to transmit data....so I think you should get your facts right first and spouting a load of rubbish
2017-8-7
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Seems like Nasa has smelt a rat now......something is going on!
https://forum.dji.com/thread-108098-1-1.html
2017-8-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woodwanger Posted at 2017-8-7 11:05
Just like a satnav in your car it can tell you exactly where you are at what time!  And so it can tell them!!!
You don't need a wifi connection to transmit data....so I think you should get your facts right first and spouting a load of rubbish

"You don't need a wifi connection to transmit data...."

So in the example you give, what is it that transmits the data you speak of ?
2017-8-7
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-7 11:16
"You don't need a wifi connection to transmit data...."

So in the example you give, what is it that transmits the data you speak of ?

Being connected to satellites which there for pinpoint your exact location to you can also give others your exact location also (there for transmitting data) for me its not a problem but for the military or national security a BIG problem!   
2017-8-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woodwanger Posted at 2017-8-7 11:33
Being connected to satellites which there for pinpoint your exact location to you can also give others your exact location also (there for transmitting data) for me its not a problem but for the military or national security a BIG problem!

The Sat Nav system is receive only, you'd need a lot of power to send info' back to the Satellites.

Of the two systems in use by the P4 range, GPS is run by the American military and GLONASS by the Russian military.

So if no wifi or cellphone connection, then nobody else can know where you are at that time. That's not to say that the information couldn't be sent back next time you connect to the internet, but I don't imagine it would be of any interest to anybody.

From a national security point of view then perhaps we should give Google a ring and ask them to take U.K out of their maps, then the baddies won't be able to pinpoint where everything is.
2017-8-7
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-7 11:40
The Sat Nav system is receive only, you'd need a lot of power to send info' back to the Satellites.

Of the two systems in use by the P4 range, GPS is run by the American military and GLONASS by the Russian military.

You do not need power to send anything back to the satellites the drone is doing that for you....that is how it pinpoints your location, so what is stopping the satellites from sending the info elsewhere not just back to you?
2017-8-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woodwanger Posted at 2017-8-7 11:49
You do not need power to send anything back to the satellites the drone is doing that for you....that is how it pinpoints your location, so what is stopping the satellites from sending the info elsewhere not just back to you?

Your receiver pinpoints your location based upon information it receives from the satellites. The satellites (American & Russian remember, not Chinese) have no way of knowing where you are.

This gives a basic explanation:- http://www.physics.org/article-questions.asp?id=55
2017-8-7
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

2017-8-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Yoiu would appear to be another person who does not not know how technology works. Firstly, to answer your question, no, I do not see 18 satellites because I am in the southern hemisphere and it does not have as many geo-positioning satelleites as the northern hemisphere. Look it up on Google.

And if you are suggesting that GPS receivers can transmit information back to the satellites then you are very, very wrong. It is a one way system, from satellite to receiver and does not have any capability of transmitting back in the other direction.

'....so I think you should get your facts right first and spouting a load of rubbish'

Yes indeed.

2017-8-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Do you know how many car sat navs, mobile phones, tablets handheld GPS  units navigation systems are receiving GPS data every second?
And you think that all those GPS satellites up there are keeping track of all the millions of users and devices that are listening to their signals?
How would that work?  Which of the many sats would collect the data and where would they send it?
That makes as much sense as the silly idea that DJI actually care where you've been flying or want to look at your images and videos.
I think you should get your facts right first before spouting a load of rubbish.
2017-8-7
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

I think people should be more worried about what informations they are providing to uncle sam through their own mobile phones... from all over the world. And now the #1 spy is complaining of being spyed upon? ROFLMAO ! Some serious thin foil caps are badly needed.
2017-8-8
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
China

Right now, with the bad firmware, it's a good thing to not buy anymore. But Americans always complains about good products of other country's. They are jus jealous.  Without the German Werner von Braun, stolen from my cojntry, the us would be still climbing trees to be near to the moon. Now complainig about cars and dont make better. So if no china drone goes ther, would be the best.
2017-8-8
Use props
HighCamera
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1213238 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can safely fly over Washington D.C. and all airports right now using google Maps/Earth. As far as sensitive images I can't imagine what they would be
2017-8-8
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

The military has decided to stop using consumer level drones for military work?  Are you kidding me???  They were using DJI drones for military applications?!?!  

The most surprising thing here is that people are wondering why the military is going to stop using DJI drones - not why in the world they would have been using them in the first place.  CLEARLY - DJI's drones - ALL OF THEM - are not designed for military use.

"Yea so we've been using toys to do military stuff.  Turn's out toys aren't designed to do military stuff....  think we should make a press release?"...

UGH

2017-8-8
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

HighCamera Posted at 2017-8-8 09:11
I can safely fly over Washington D.C. and all airports right now using google Maps/Earth. As far as sensitive images I can't imagine what they would be

Something like this, I'd say...
Are_your_drawers_closed-_Manhattan_Project_security_poster.jpg
2017-8-8
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
Flight distance : 218087 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is there any useful information in this thread of just every forum blowhard thats here to make the usual comments about how they hate DJI but are always on the forums? All the conjecture and assumptions are really quite useless and do nothing but produce noise.
2017-8-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Langstonius Posted at 2017-8-8 09:52
Is there any useful information in this thread of just every forum blowhard thats here to make the usual comments about how they hate DJI but are always on the forums? All the conjecture and assumptions are really quite useless and do nothing but produce noise.

I'm surprised at the lack of comradeship with Americans here not one of them backing up the US Army by following suit and getting rid of their dji drones, there is no loyalty in the world anymore.
2017-8-8
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow! These men and women risk their lives to protect the rights afforded to us all through the Constitution, yet the US Army takes their rights away!
2017-8-8
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-8-8 01:33
I think people should be more worried about what informations they are providing to uncle sam through their own mobile phones... from all over the world. And now the #1 spy is complaining of being spyed upon? ROFLMAO ! Some serious thin foil caps are badly needed.

If you think the US is spying on its citizens more than Russia or China you're sadly mistaken.
2017-8-8
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

Langstonius Posted at 2017-8-8 09:52

We dont hate DJI or their products... we hate the way they have recently treated customers who have spent 1000s of dollars on their products.
2017-8-8
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-8 10:05
I'm surprised at the lack of comradeship with Americans here not one of them backing up the US Army by following suit and getting rid of their dji drones, there is no loyalty in the world anymore.
Even though you're making a joke..
Have you checked eBay recently? People are most definitely selling their DJI equipment and lots of it.
2017-8-8
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

Fractures Posted at 2017-8-8 10:48
If you think the US is spying on its citizens more than Russia or China you're sadly mistaken.

well, Russia has less citizens than the US, and China has more... so let's say more than RUssia and less than China, OK?
2017-8-8
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-8-8 10:51
Have you checked eBay recently? People are most definitely selling their DJI equipment and lots of it.

Yea we've been doing that for years.  I'm not sure what you are trying to imply, but DJI has never been more successful than they are right now, at this very moment.

If you are attempting to say that people are upset with DJI, you should just say that.  The whole "oh I've seen people sell DJI's stuff on Ebay so that must mean no one likes them!" thing is really old.  People have been posting that one for 4-5 years now.
2017-8-8
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

I _have_ checked ebay recently, because I'm trying to buy a Mavic right now.  Used Fly More Combos ("only crashed once!") going for $1000+ when I can get them brand new on Amazon for $1100-1200.  I don't see any price decline if that's what you're implying, because only ~10% discount on a used item is a ridiculously high price in my opinion.
2017-8-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

That's as a result of how many are out there, many millions more users equal many more second hand craft. Was joking about Americans of course, but they seem to be adapting a much bigger siege mentality of late, maybe just the way the world is going these days.
2017-8-8
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

2017-8-8
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-8-8 13:25
Don't see how you can say that. It's all speculation on your part. Anecdotally, I can tell you that I work at NASA-Armstrong and 4 different people that I know eBayed their personal drones specifically due to the poor customer service and bad privacy/security practices of DJI. I truly believe they are having major issues. The more their code is dissected, the more nefarious stuff is showing up, and customers (private, corporate, and government) are learning this.
DJI is having some big problems. If they were a public company this would have hit their stock.

Specifically, what code are you claiming has been "dissected" and specifically what "nefarious" stuff is showing up? What specific "bad privacy/security" practices caused your co-workers to sell their DJI gear?

The military hasn't provided the reason(s) for their announcement, it's an ongoing review. One would imagine any off-the-shelf hardware would be subject to extreme scrutiny. I doubt the military used DJI equipment as policy, rather some units struck out on their own. AFAIK, DJI has never advertised or suggested military uses for their gear.
If you based all of your purchases off recommendations from the military, you'd be driving a tank and killing spiders with an M16.

2017-8-8
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

2017-8-8
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-8-8 13:43
Oh you can go into the slack groups or mod forums for PLENTY of lists of privacy violations, "calling home", violations of GPLs, etc. Many don't like owning a company's products that do that. I can tell you that there are now multiple federal agencies not only prohibited from using DJI products, but the batteries literally have to be taken out - for good reason. Also, let me be clear about the "ongoing review" - there were multiple studies done which were cause for this action. It's not going away anytime soon. DJI products were used for various reasons, contractors and otherwise - not necessarily for battlefield use. Other federal agencies (like NASA) - same.

"calling home"  - Lots of stuff does that. The issue is not the act, it's the data transmitted. The question is what is being transmitted.

"violations of GPL" - This is a straw man.

"Many don't like owning a company's [sic] products that do that" - Again, straw man.

"there were multiple studies done" - Point me to their conclusions.

"Other federal agencies (like NASA)" -  Joe Blow consumer is not working on matters as sensitive as NASA or the military in his basement.

I understand why the military, or other federal agencies working on sensitive things would have pause. The average consumer, not so much yet. I say let's get the full picture before running around screaming fire.
2017-8-8
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

2017-8-8
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The army's got it covered though http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39277940
2017-8-8
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-8-8 14:20
Not going to argue with you. There are multiple security and privacy issues associated with the software. Some of the code inserted "Tinker" is intentional. There are no other explanations for this.  You don't seem to be aware of it, nor have you looked into it very much and I'm not going to get into a philosophical argument about that. No one is screaming fire. This is a big deal to DJI and they acknowledge as such because other entities are following suit. I work in a civilian role and these products were used on non-sensitive issues. Now they are locked away and will not be used again.

You don't need to argue, you just need to provide specific information. That's a basic tenet of justification.

I can't walk into a meeting at work and tell people we need to dump Cisco because I read it somewhere and then walk out, expecting to be taken seriously.
2017-8-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Even if all the US federal agencies stopped buying DJI, it would not matter a rat's a*se, because the vast majority of DJI's sales are to consumers. It is a silly, emotive, but ultimately empty argument.
2017-8-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

"Always remember... Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.”
2017-8-8
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

2017-8-8
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

They wont need that for DJI drones since any USA military base is going to be a "sensitive national-security location" covered by a no-fly-zone and according to DJI's website, the "unlock function is not available for sensitive national-security locations", thus the USA military can't actually fly their DJI drones anymore even if they do want to do so

Maybe this press release is an attempt to avoid the embarrassment of admitting that they are incapable of using all the equipment they have bought using tax payers money

2017-8-8
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules