Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
US Military to stop using DJI
5299 27 2017-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

copied this from next door, interesting read.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/201 ... emo_bans_dji_drones
2017-8-4
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Why would the US armed services ever use DJI products in the first place? That seems kind of risky from the outset.
2017-8-4
Use props
lignow
lvl.4
Canada

To Late. Where do you think that advanced camera/ software came from.
2017-8-4
Use props
fansf1224c1b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17247 ft
United Kingdom

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-4 09:43
Why would the US armed services ever use DJI products in the first place? That seems kind of risky from the outset.

I think initially, like all of us, there was probably a good deal of ignorance going on regarding for want of a better word, "Politics" behind DJI, and 2, possibly the most suitable tool for the job in hand "at the time".

As time has passed by, we are all learning new things around DJI and our drones.

If you monitor the traffic coming from your craft when connected, especially on WiFi & GSM, the amount of servers the craft is talking to is an incredible amount.  We are not talking 3 or 4 communications channels its talking too, but 20+ different IP addresses.

When you trace these IP's back, its pretty interesting who is receiving this "harvested data" we are all contributing to.

I dont see how DJI can get away with saying its "Telemetry data", some of the businesses that are receiving the information from your craft, dont seem to be anything to do with DJI.

I guess its this the U.S DoD have seen, along with the UK Government, and probably many others.  U.S DoD will share information with British MoD, and it will all snowball from there.......You watch.

All this information being harvested by all these DJI users, and being sent back to China!! it does make you wonder.

And for this reason, its the prime reason why many on the "other forum" are switching from IOS to Android, so they can use Firewalls on their Android devices to block this traffic, or simply stop using WiFi and/or GSM when flying.

I love my Mavic and enjoy every second of it, but at the same time, there are concerns about why the craft has to be chatting to this many servers!!/
2017-8-4
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansf1224c1b Posted at 2017-8-4 10:38
I think initially, like all of us, there was probably a good deal of ignorance going on regarding for want of a better word, "Politics" behind DJI, and 2, possibly the most suitable tool for the job in hand "at the time".

As time has passed by, we are all learning new things around DJI and our drones.

I don't consider parks, lakes, and tourist traps to contain highly sensitive information for China. If they want to watch me buzz around the park, lake, and other mundane places they are welcome to it.
2017-8-4
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

How could the U.S. Military trust a drone manufacture who's drones can be completely hacked, and i mean 100% hacked by simply removing 2 // in a line and the changing a 0 to a 1 ???? I mean, really??
2017-8-4
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-8-4 12:35
How could the U.S. Military trust a drone manufacture who's drones can be completely hacked, and i mean 100% hacked by simply removing 2 // in a line and the changing a 0 to a 1 ???? I mean, really??

Which drone cannot be hacked?
2017-8-4
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-4 12:50
Which drone cannot be hacked?

Spark, mavic, p4 advanced and pro. We can't talk about it on here or we will get our pee-pee's slapped. All i can say is google is your friend.... And you tube. ....
2017-8-4
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-8-4 12:54
Spark, mavic, p4 advanced and pro. We can't talk about it on here or we will get our pee-pee's slapped. All i can say is google is your friend.... And you tube. ....

My question was a rhetoric question...
2017-8-4
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

When I fly, I am in usually the mountains and totally not connected to the network. There's no way DJI is harvesting any data at that time.  Of course when I sync my data back at home that's another matter. On the other hand, I don't have any issues with entire world know about my flights.  (Other people and the US military may feel differently of course)
2017-8-4
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-8-4 13:31
When I fly, I am in usually the mountains and totally not connected to the network. There's no way DJI is harvesting any data at that time.  Of course when I sync my data back at home that's another matter. On the other hand, I don't have any issues with entire world know about my flights.  (Other people and the US military may feel differently of course)

I'm with you.  It may annoy me that DJI is harvesting this data but if they want to track my flights in parks, RC Clubs and my neighborhood, well, I don't really care.
2017-8-4
Use props
bigdps
lvl.3
Canada

Used it for group graduation selfies!
2017-8-4
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-4 13:00
My question was a rhetoric question...

I see say the blind man, wink, wink.
2017-8-4
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

Id be stunned if US drone manufacturers arent just as open or worse than DJIs.  They're just as bad as china for demanding access via FISA.
Would is more likely is US manufacturers that are years behind technologically, rather than try to up their game and compete have bribed and lobbied their way into getting the opposition banned.
So forcing an inferior product just because its "made in the usa".
2017-8-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

“In reading The History of Nations, we find that, like individuals, they have their whims and their peculiarities, their seasons of excitement and recklessness, when they care not what they do. We find that whole communities suddenly fix their minds upon one object and go mad in its pursuit; that millions of people become simultaneously impressed with one delusion, and run after it, till their attention is caught by some new folly more captivating than the first.
2017-8-5
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

i dont care about what DJI want to do...before sync i erase pictures and videos than i sync .. they cannot take from me any pictures or video...it`s my property...
2017-8-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tealk Posted at 2017-8-5 04:19
i dont care about what DJI want to do...before sync i erase pictures and videos than i sync .. they cannot take from me any pictures or video...it`s my property...

Just don't sync you won't have any problems.
2017-8-5
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Romania

yeah ..i know ...i sync just because to see flight times
2017-8-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tealk Posted at 2017-8-5 04:29
yeah ..i know ...i sync just because to see flight times

Get a log book.
2017-8-5
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Romania

lool ... nice one...we are an era of modern tehnology ...
2017-8-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tealk Posted at 2017-8-5 04:58
lool ... nice one...we are an era of modern tehnology ...

That may well be, but all manned pilots still keep written log books. And most commercial RC pilots keep written hard copy logs.
2017-8-5
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Romania

yep ... you are right...but all my flight are on excell file on cloud..still electronic log book
2017-8-5
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with you on this one.
2017-8-5
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-8-4 13:31

Thats right and the sync mostly doesnt work anyway ;-). So till this point I somehow dont care.
2017-8-7
Use props
fansb8b222f3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74213 ft
Sweden

And US drone are prob made in China like everything else these days
2017-8-7
Use props
Lucluck
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26385 ft
France

Dont tell me that you ignore that the dji go app constantly sends data outside. Even if you kill the tasks, they are again here a couple of seconds later.
As soon as the tablet is connected, even at home when Dji Go is not used.
Use for instance no root firewall... You'll see that
2017-8-7
Use props
KKIB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103022 ft
United States

A government study found DJI drone, banned by US Army, kept data safe
"Late last week, news broke that the US Army had issued a memo asking units to discontinue the use of DJI drones while the military investigated potential cyber vulnerabilities. There wasn’t much detail on what the exact concerns were or where they stemmed from, but it turns out that another federal agency recently looked into the issue.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which collects a lot of data on weather, did a study in October 2016 with the DJI S-1000 drone to “better understand if any data collected by the aircraft would be transmitted to the Internet during flight or during the subsequent transfer of the data to computers for post-processing.”

The study used Wireshark software on a Windows computer to “capture all packets moving to and from the computer on any port and provide diagnostic information for those packets. Care was taken to set up the computer to minimize extraneous network traffic prior to initiating the test.” The drone was being controlled with a third-party remote and independent ground station.

NOAA’s tests found that the S-1000 presented no threat for data leakage. “The majority of transactions to the DJI servers were to login to DJI servers hosted at both Amazon Web Services and Linode to check for software updates. These transactions are quite common for software of this type, and nothing unusual was detected during the experiment,” the report states.

“There was no evidence whatsoever of any attempt by any software to transfer any data from the aircraft.”

Despite NOAA’s finding, there are lots of variables that could keep the US Army from using DJI drones: the military might be using different units that treat data differently, or they could be concerned about the ability of third parties to hack the drone while it’s in flight, potentially taking over control from the pilot or siphoning off data that is being transmitted wirelessly back to the operator.

Ed Dumas, a computer programmer at NOAA and one of the authors of the study, confirmed to The Verge that their tests on the S-1000 found it wasn’t sending any unusual traffic back to DJI. He did say, however, that he ran similar tests on his personal unit, a Phantom 3 professional, during his spare time. His software found that unit was sending encrypted data back to DJI and servers whose location he could not determine.

DJI, for its part, emphasized that it has never marketed its drones for use on the battlefield. “DJI makes civilian drones for peaceful purposes. They are built for personal and professional use, and are not designed for military uses or constructed to military specifications. We do not market our products for military customers, and if military members choose to buy and use our products as the best way to accomplish their tasks, we have no way of knowing who they are or what they do with them. The US Army has not explained why it suddenly banned the use of DJI drones and components, what “cyber vulnerabilities” it is concerned about, or whether it has also excluded drones made by other manufacturers.”

Update August 7th, 3:10PM ET: This article originally stated that NOAA’s study relied on DJI’s native remote and iOS app. In fact, the test used a third-party remote and independent ground station. The story had been updated to reflect these facts."

2017-8-7
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Conspiracy Theory.
Nothing else.
2017-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now