Deep Cycle Didn't Work
689 13 2017-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1997861 ft
Canada

So I used the Smart Powercharger and drained my 1 battery down to 20.0v. Charged it back up. And I still get the message stating to deep cycle. Anyone know why this message didn't disappear?

2017-8-4
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sometimes I have found that you need to drain the battery down below 5%... almost to 0% on the App. Fly the Inspire 1 in a hover down to 10% then leave it on and use the flight simulator or play with the video editor while the battery continues to drain.  I bet that after you go down to this level the battery will reset.  

Using the deep cycle on the SPC will not get this low (by design)

Hope that helps you
Rich
2017-8-4
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

Ah well that makes sense then. Can I deep cycle it with the SPC once again then boot it up in the Inspire. Then wait for it to drain completely? It's gonna rain tomorrow so I might not be able to fly.
2017-8-4
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-8-4 17:09
Ah well that makes sense then. Can I deep cycle it with the SPC once again then boot it up in the Inspire. Then wait for it to drain completely? It's gonna rain tomorrow so I might not be able to fly.

SPC is designed not to go beyond 5% ish.... Just try another cycle and see if this resets the intelligent circuit.

No worries

Rain?? what's that?   been over a 100+ every day this week  (too hot to fly in some cases .
Rich
2017-8-4
Use props
Cabralkev
lvl.4
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-4 20:17
SPC is designed not to go beyond 5% ish.... Just try another cycle and see if this resets the intelligent circuit.

No worries

Haha yeah it was raining like crazy here in Toronto today. Tomorrow it says it's going to rain, hopefully not. I have the battery in deep cycle mode as we speak. Going to drain it to 20.0v again. Then plug it into my Inspire and wait for it to shut itself off
2017-8-4
Use props
Ups_Jeff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 434931 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-4 20:17

No worries

Rich, I let my battery drain down to 3% today. This battery had 15 charges on it, and just wanted to cycle it down. My question is, is it safe to leave it at 3% without recharging it for a week?
2017-8-6
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ups_Jeff Posted at 2017-8-6 14:56
Rich, I let my battery drain down to 3% today. This battery had 15 charges on it, and just wanted to cycle it down. My question is, is it safe to leave it at 3% without recharging it for a week?

It is better not to wait (it is easier on the battery cells). I never leave my batteries this low for very long. Go ahead and charge it all the way up and then the intelligent circuit will reset (if you were getting the warning to do so).

The batteries will give you longer service when they are kept in the storage voltage when not in use. If you plan yo fly within the next few days, the battery will be okay. One of the DJI preps told me that the first 20 cycles should be only drained to about  45-50%  then you may use the full capacity after that.  I already had some batteries that did not follow this rule, but I tried to follow this since.

Rich  

2017-8-6
Use props
Ups_Jeff
lvl.3
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-6 15:26
It is better not to wait (it is easier on the battery cells). I never leave my batteries this low for very long. Go ahead and charge it all the way up and then the intelligent circuit will reset (if you were getting the warning to do so).

The batteries will give you longer service when they are kept in the storage voltage when not in use. If you plan yo fly within the next few days, the battery will be okay. One of the DJI preps told me that the first 20 cycles should be only drained to about  45-50%  then you may use the full capacity after that.  I already had some batteries that did not follow this rule, but I tried to follow this since.

I usually bring my bird in at 20%. Haven't had any battery issues yet, but have read about deep cycling the batteries after  every 10 charges. Seems folks have many differing opinions regarding the batteries. I just hooked it up for a full charge.  I want to be on the safe side. I usually only get to fly on the weekends because I get home too late from work.
2017-8-6
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ups_Jeff Posted at 2017-8-6 15:32
I usually bring my bird in at 20%. Haven't had any battery issues yet, but have read about deep cycling the batteries after  every 10 charges. Seems folks have many differing opinions regarding the batteries. I just hooked it up for a full charge.  I want to be on the safe side. I usually only get to fly on the weekends because I get home too late from work.

You are correct, many opinions regarding batteries. DJI Ken, was the one that told me about the 45-50% rule about 1.5 years ago. He was very wise and thought the information was worth following. I have not done this on the newer batteries on the Mavic, P4P or Spark... because they have newer electronics.  Again this was only a guideline ...

You could charge to 50% by watching the battery and then charge it the rest of the way for the weekend?

Rich
2017-8-6
Use props
Ups_Jeff
lvl.3
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-6 15:43
You are correct, many opinions regarding batteries. DJI Ken, was the one that told me about the 45-50% rule about 1.5 years ago. He was very wise and thought the information was worth following. I have not done this on the newer batteries on the Mavic, P4P or Spark... because they have newer electronics.  Again this was only a guideline ...

You could charge to 50% by watching the battery and then charge it the rest of the way for the weekend?

I was able to fly my Inspire tonight, and use that battery that I cycled yesterday. The battery has 20 charges on it, and it was at 100% tonight when i flew. I typically set my warning for 20% and bring it down at that point. I really love my Inspire 1, and will probably buy Inspire 2, when there is a price drop. No need to rush, as they still seem to have plenty of bugs, plus the battery expense is a little steep.
2017-8-7
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
United States

Do you follow the battery capacity on every charge. For me, it seems that the capacity is dropping by as much as 100wah. I really worry that the usual life won't be too long.
2017-8-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ups_Jeff Posted at 2017-8-7 17:22
I was able to fly my Inspire tonight, and use that battery that I cycled yesterday. The battery has 20 charges on it, and it was at 100% tonight when i flew. I typically set my warning for 20% and bring it down at that point. I really love my Inspire 1, and will probably buy Inspire 2, when there is a price drop. No need to rush, as they still seem to have plenty of bugs, plus the battery expense is a little steep.

Nothing wrong with the Inspire 1 for sure  great machine      Have both and definitely the I2 is spendy.  Enjoy the I1 it will do many incredible things!

Rich  
2017-8-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-8-7 19:28
Do you follow the battery capacity on every charge. For me, it seems that the capacity is dropping by as much as 100wah. I really worry that the usual life won't be too long.

The capacity drop in the App is normal and do not worry to much about it. They do not even report the capacity on the Inspire 2 batteries.

Keep you focus on the voltage and flight times.

Rich
2017-8-7
Use props
Ups_Jeff
lvl.3
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-7 21:44
The capacity drop in the App is normal and do not worry to much about it. They do not even report the capacity on the Inspire 2 batteries.

Keep you focus on the voltage and flight times.

My TB47 batteries will fly just a bit over 14 minutes, when my 20% warning comes on. I am sure I could get 16 minutes of flight time by the time I hit 10%.  When I first started flying, the first couple of weeks, I would fly down to the final warning. After a few close calls, I decided that was just stupid to try and squeeze a couple extra minutes of flight time out, at the risk of losing an expensive toy.
2017-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules