Could this be the problem with "home changing"
1916 10 2015-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJK
New
Flight distance : 44154 ft
United States

While looking to see if my registration was in my pilot app, I noticed an oddity.

I opened the pilot app in camera and switched into maps from within the window. To my surprise my home position was an old location several miles away, from a couple of weeks ago, and the position stayed there even as I moved around...

I closed the app and reopened it in maps, and the home location immediately updated to my current location, using 4G cellular or wifi as both were available.

The pilot app was running on my iphone 6 plus and had been reinstalled onto the phone last week during an upgrade, however the app had been opened a couple of times since then with no observed issues on location. I usually open in maps first...

Is it possible the app has a previously stored location somewhere in memory storage or other memory... that is getting inadvertently pulled in under certain app conditions?

2015-3-25
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

That sounds like what is happening to me. Have you reported this to DJI? They need telling about things like this so it can be fixed. Hopefully they can get this sorted with the next firmware. Have you considered doing the beta testing?
2015-3-30
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Yes I think others on the forum have also reported this in the past, certainly worth DJI looking into it.
2015-3-30
Use props
ruddy951
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59324 ft
United States

We have tons of posts about this.. mine does not stay at a previous location however . It just seems to  drop my home point where ever it feels conviniant
2015-3-30
Use props
DJK
New
United States

I would be glad to support beta testing if contacted by DJI. I perform RCA (root cause analysis) and cause and effect mapping professionally.
2015-3-30
Use props
DJK
New
United States

OH, I see where they created a test program...did not see where you sign-up?
2015-3-30
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Surely to update the current location, you need to be connected to the I1 and 'it' needs a decent GPS lock, otherwise it will assume you're still somewhere else, as do most GPS devices until they've collected their almanac and calculated the current/new position.  The position your tablet gets via cellular, or wifi is irrelevant, It's the home point, that is set each time you start the take off precedure that's important...Isnt it?

The only time the tablet position is important is if you choose dynamic home point.
2015-3-30
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

jon@thefullers. Posted at 2015-3-31 00:26
Surely to update the current location, you need to be connected to the I1 and 'it' needs a decent GP ...

Your right about how it works , my app will hold the last flight info until I turn on the bird then the app refreshes to the present location I'm at with the ipad 2 in airplane mode the entire time. Your inspire and the RC is receiving the GPS location , not the tablet.  And that's a good thing !
2015-3-30
Use props
Blade_Strike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Correct, the app holds last location. Once the craft powers on and gps lock is acquired the new HP location is set.
2015-3-30
Use props
DJK
New
United States

So am I to understand that if you are flying in Atti or GPS mode and you have never/not established a GPS lock to reset home, then the bird could try to go to the previously good home on a loss of radio or low battery. If so perhaps the bird should not save the old home position and just land if it does not have a home position set since being recently turned on.
I think that the Phantom starts fresh each power up...
2015-3-30
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

If I were flying outdoors, I wouldn't even attempt taking off before it had established a decent GPS fix, and announced that a new home position was saved.  Once it has clearly done both of those things, I'm happy, without, it would be Russian Roulette to open the throttle IMHO.
2015-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules