Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Firmware update kills range, but DJI refuses to address the problem
12Next >
8001 66 2017-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dan M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15058491 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've given up on trying to explain to the front line tech support folks that the last firmware update fouled the radio link between the I2 and remotes. While they continue to tell me that I have a hardware issue, and that I should send the company my Inspire 2, I have held out that the radio interference and loss of range that started with the last firmware update is NOT a hardware issue. Even though I have explained that it impacted TWO separate Inspire 2 systems, with different remotes, they continue to insist that I shoudl send in my hardware for repair.
No response from DJI in the forums here, and nothing other than "Let us repair your hardware" from support.

When a firmware update screws up multiple copies of a system, the hardware is not at fault.  What does it take to get DJI to accept that there is a firmware issue so that they can start working on a solution instead of just having us send our expensive hardware to them with zero anticipated results.

At this point, I'll take any suggestions with contacts, methods, or anything that might help drive this point home.  A system that DJI advertises with a fantastic range should not be crippled after a firmware update with the same range that I have on my P1.

Ideas?
2017-8-4
Use props
Altitude Drones
First Officer
Flight distance : 1488520 ft
United Kingdom

Not cool.

The only thing you can do is to wait for the next firmware update, or try to roll back one to see if you can get back to where you were.

DJI should sort this ASAP to let it's professional costumers know that it cares about them. It's important to respect each other.

2017-8-4
Use props
dancopter
First Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Not sure if it's related, but the last P4P update killed the range too. I have two and both were affected.
2017-8-5
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 394291 ft
  • >>>
United States

dancopter Posted at 2017-8-5 02:47
Not sure if it's related, but the last P4P update killed the range too. I have two and both were affected.

Dan,

As I having been following you and your comments on this forum , I see DJI is  choosing not to answer this issue about  STRONG INTERFERENCE and reduced Signal strength.  As I am grounded now again and afraid of flying   my Inspire 2 more then 10 feet away .

There is no doubt that is was caused by this last update !!!

Recently spent more money while in Hong Kong on the 7.85 inch crystal sky and goggles that can't be used as printed on page 11 in the manual concerning  head tracking with micro USB cable attracted .

So Once Again ,  I am requesting DJI TO ACKNOWLEDGE this and correct with an emergency firmware update .

SO PLEASE LETS HEAR SOMETHING

It's not my hardware
2017-8-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Dan and nazar404.yahoo, I understand how you feel, but this issue is not common and is hard to be analyzed by data analysis.
Is that possible to provide me the screenshot of HD interface and error message when you got strong interference? There must be some evidence or material for our engineer to analyze, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2017-8-5
Use props
Rob W
Captain
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-5 19:42
Dan and nazar404.yahoo, I understand how you feel, but this issue is not common and is hard to be analyzed by data analysis.
Is that possible to provide me the screenshot of HD interface and error message when you got strong interference? There must be some evidence or material for our engineer to analyze, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

@DJI,

You should check with your developers. They should be able to easily pinpoint the code changes between releases. There should also be documentation if there was a change plan of functions that could have caused the reported issues.

The devs should be your first stop, not asking people to send in their hardware.
2017-8-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Rob W Posted at 2017-8-5 21:12
@DJI,

You should check with your developers. They should be able to easily pinpoint the code changes between releases. There should also be documentation if there was a change plan of functions that could have caused the reported issues.

Rob, we do care about customer's feedback, but we need data to analyze. If you encounter the same issue, would you please provide more details that I posted on 5#? We would appreciate that.
2017-8-6
Use props
Rob W
Captain
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-6 22:46
Rob, we do care about customer's feedback, but we need data to analyze. If you encounter the same issue, would you please provide more details that I posted on 5#? We would appreciate that.

@Mindy,

I'm just pointing out how to identify a problem.

IF many users report a new issue that behaves in the same way for them (for instance the jerkiness in flight behaviour now present in P4's) after a firmware update, do this:

1 - Check with devs if changes in code could have caused the issue people are reporting.
     If Yes: Report back to users immediately and explain whats been changed, and why, and when it will    be fixed.

2.    If No (i.e. the devs are ABSOLUTELY sure their changes not have caused the issue), ask users to come back with detailed logs, videos etc.

3. Support admins can make a poll also, and ask people if they have a specific issue reported by a *few* users. For instance: " A few users have reported that after the latest firmware update, the camera vibrates at times. Please enter this poll and click Yes if you have this problem, and No if you don't seem to have this problem.".

In this way you can get a rough estimate if it might be a software/firmware bug, or if it might be a single failure for a user or two.

If many people report the same issue immediately after a software- or firmware upgrade, the likelihood is that it is a code problem, so the answers lies in the code, at the developers desks, not the users. So ask the devs to check what have caused it, not the users. If the devs can't answer it, then they need together better at structuring their operations, document better, communicate with other departments within DJI (like support) etc.
2017-8-6
Use props
kg11
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25466 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

interesting I have been to busy updating firmware etc on my inspire 2 to fly it as I have now brought a 5.5 crystal sky to go with it had to update that etc. Went out and flew was constantly losing video transmission and at 621metres the radio just disconnected completely and returned to home by itself. 621metres what a bloody joke my spark can fly further
2017-8-7
Use props
kg11
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25466 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Flew my Inspire for the second time with the new Crystal Sky displayed and all updates complete on the inspire and crystal sky monitor itself. 300m out I was losing video feed and 621m out the radio disconnected which caused my inspire to make its own way home
As for possible Interference. I live on an Island in the Hauraki gulf of Auckland New Zealand called Waiheke. I think we have 3 cell phone towers here which I was not close to and I was at our local park that hasn't got a single house in well over 2km's so wifi couldn't be an issue. My Spark flies further than the Inspire with Remote and my Mavic just never seems to drop out period in the same location
So Mindy all due respect that is kinda odd
If you need flight logs let me know because that really sucks having the remote disconnecting when you have line of site to a drone this expensive. In fact its insane even my inspire 1 didn't do this.
2017-8-7
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

kg11 Posted at 2017-8-7 02:24
Flew my Inspire for the second time with the new Crystal Sky displayed and all updates complete on the inspire and crystal sky monitor itself. 300m out I was losing video feed and 621m out the radio disconnected which caused my inspire to make its own way home
As for possible Interference. I live on an Island in the Hauraki gulf of Auckland New Zealand called Waiheke. I think we have 3 cell phone towers here which I was not close to and I was at our local park that hasn't got a single house in well over 2km's so wifi couldn't be an issue. My Spark flies further than the Inspire with Remote and my Mavic just never seems to drop out period in the same location
So Mindy all due respect that is kinda odd

DJI  SUPPORT ,

WHY ARE YOU NOT CORRECTING THIS FIRMWARE ?

WHY ARE YOU NOT LISTENING ?

WHAT HAPPENED TO FIRMWARE ROLLBACK OPTIONS /
2017-8-7
Use props
Dan M
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

@Mindy
Airdata UAV log here. http://app.airdata.com/main?share=nBbeZG
Signal map in the sensor section of the log shows how the signal would drop, even when at short range, and with no obstructions. Obviously worse with a tree in the way, but the disconnects with no obstructions are a huge concern.
Screen shot from the CS5.5 is similar to what I get on the CS7.85. (I captured this one with the camera off, or capped. Doesn't matter though). The same thing happens on both of my Inspire 2 systems using different remotes, and in any operating area where I had no interference, and spectacular range before the last FW update.
Screenshot_2017-07-11-14-50-23.png
2017-8-7
Use props
info.jerrygladh
lvl.1
Sweden

How the heck can DJI release such crappy firmware!!??
Updated today and took my Inspire 1 x5r out for a job.
Cant get out of 30m altitude and 30m distance restrictions.
Videosignal bad. Transmission signal bad.

Fix it!!

Jerry

2017-8-7
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.4

United States

For our Inspire 2 (and RC) with the recent firmware, we actually have far less reliable controls and connection to the RC than for the HD video feed.  We don't get any error messages, but the decrease in capability is quite noticeable.

But also, one of the neighbors posted in a community forum about how everyone should buy signal jammers to keep people from flying drones.  As far as I know, it's a federal offense to use a signal jammer.  And there's at least 4 people in my local neighborhood that fly regularly.  Everyone just thinks they are sitting there staring into people's bedroom windows and getting angry.  Completely unrealistic and unjustified accusations ... But they have been sharing links for signal jammers.  Who knows though.
2017-8-7
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-8-7 16:06
For our Inspire 2 (and RC) with the recent firmware, we actually have far less reliable controls and connection to the RC than for the HD video feed.  We don't get any error messages, but the decrease in capability is quite noticeable.

But also, one of the neighbors posted in a community forum about how everyone should buy signal jammers to keep people from flying drones.  As far as I know, it's a federal offense to use a signal jammer.  And there's at least 4 people in my local neighborhood that fly regularly.  Everyone just thinks they are sitting there staring into people's bedroom windows and getting angry.  Completely unrealistic and unjustified accusations ... But they have been sharing links for signal jammers.  Who knows though.

Has anyone notice that DJI won't acknowledge!
2017-8-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Dan M Posted at 2017-8-7 07:02
@Mindy
Signal map in the sensor section of the log shows how the signal would drop, even when at short range, and with no obstructions. Obviously worse with a tree in the way, but the disconnects with no obstructions are a huge concern.

Thanks for your information, Dan, the problem has been reported to our R&D engineers for further analysis.
Sorry for the trouble that has been caused. I will come back to you once there is any update, appreciate your patience.
2017-8-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

info.jerrygladh Posted at 2017-8-7 12:01
How the heck can DJI release such crappy firmware!!??
Updated today and took my Inspire 1 x5r out for a job.
Cant get out of 30m altitude and 30m distance restrictions.

Please login DJI account and keep it after updating.
If the problem persists, please reinstall the APP and login again.
2017-8-8
Use props
fansc776fa97
First Officer
Flight distance : 3620226 ft
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-5 19:42

This is common, I have also posted about this and have been ignored.  Exactly the same issues as the OP above. Strong interference and terrible range and constant dropping out of video transmition. This happens within 300 - 700 ft and all the way up. I had another complete loss of connection on Sunday night and luckily the i2 returned home. I could not get it to reconnect until it was right overhead.

This is also happens in extremely remote areas where there is no possible  interference. All since the update.

This is madness for a $10k piece of technology.
2017-8-8
Use props
fansc776fa97
First Officer
Australia

Dan M Posted at 2017-8-7 07:02
@Mindy

This is exactly what happens with mine. I get this at least 5 - 6 times per flight now. The Mavic has no such issues. My mates Phantom and i1 make my i2's range look like it's a kids toy..

So we have established that there are a lot of i2 users with this issue. Now we need a fix. Can we start a poll? Calling all i2 users ?
2017-8-8
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansc776fa97 Posted at 2017-8-8 05:19
This is exactly what happens with mine. I get this at least 5 - 6 times per flight now. The Mavic has no such issues. My mates Phantom and i1 make my i2's range look like it's a kids toy..

So we have established that there are a lot of i2 users with this issue. Now we need a fix. Can we start a poll? Calling all i2 users ?

Thank you for posting the polling , let's get this problem corrected with the updated firmware so once again , so I  can start flying my expensive Inspire 2 as I have been grounded .

As noted a lot of users are reporting the same issues  since the firmware update , myself included
2017-8-8
Use props
Prado
lvl.1
Costa Rica

Same problem here, since the upgrade,  I lose connection with the aircraft at like 300 meters,  and I need to do a very important job today, not been able to do it. Very bad is a firmware issue I thought was only a problem for me,  but after reading this,  is defenetly same problem everyone describes.
2017-8-8
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.4

United States

Someone brought up an interesting point in another thread that I had started a week or so ago ...

Let's say there is a new source of interference that coincidentally happens at the same time as a firmware update. We could be griping and complaining to DJI when it's actually some random person's fault.

We fly out of the back yard for training, since there's a ton of open space there. And so do a few other pilots in the neighborhood. But we do have a few neighbors close by that are continuing to post information about how to build signal jammers or links to purchase signal jammers, which makes me really want to be able to get a proper understanding about the signals in our training area. I mean we have 3 Meraki access points in our home, so I know for sure that our wifi signals are probably pretty strong compared to most. But we've had those for a while, and never seen issues with the Inspire 2 -> RC signal, even when flying within 20 feet of one of the access points.

The ignorance from non-UAS people is absolutely unbelievable. They talk about how drones fly up to their bedroom windows, or sit and hover above their pool when they are swimming. (This is all from our local neighborhood's online forum.) It's unbelievable the ridiculous things people are saying about drone aircraft. And with that, they share links to purchase signal jammers and other items that will disrupt the GPS and WiFi signal of a drone.

I would really like to find some piece of hardware that can pick up interference (especially *strong* and suspicious interference) and give a direction where that signal is coming from. I don't know for sure if the neighbors are doing anything, but it would be great to pinpoint any source of significant interference, do a little investigating, and report to the authorities if anything proves to be illegal.

I'm getting really sick of the way some of the neighbors talk about UAS. Here's my other post about this: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid904881

But really though, after the thousands of dollars I've spent on aircraft and camera equipment through DJI, a few hundred dollars more to find someone being a jerk and committing federal offenses wouldn't be a bad consolation.
2017-8-8
Use props
Dan M
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-8 02:04
Thanks for your information, Dan, the problem has been reported to our R&D engineers for further analysis.
Sorry for the trouble that has been caused. I will come back to you once there is any update, appreciate your patience.

Great, thanks. Please let us know if there are additional tests or data that we can provide. I'm sure everyone watching this thread would love to have their Inspire 2 systems operating normally again.
2017-8-8
Use props
fansc776fa97
First Officer
Australia

Folks, can everyone cast their vote in the poll I started..  this may speed up their engagement!
2017-8-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Dan M Posted at 2017-8-8 13:10
Great, thanks. Please let us know if there are additional tests or data that we can provide. I'm sure everyone watching this thread would love to have their Inspire 2 systems operating normally again.

No problem, I will keep you guys updated as son as possible, please leave us some time, thanks.
2017-8-10
Use props
fansc776fa97
First Officer
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-10 01:05
No problem, I will keep you guys updated as son as possible, please leave us some time, thanks.

Thanks for the engagement on this issue. As you can see from the poll already this is a widespread issue amongst i2 users. Can I suggest a quick message in the poll to acknowledge that there is a problem and DJI are investigating.
2017-8-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansc776fa97 Posted at 2017-8-10 02:16
Thanks for the engagement on this issue. As you can see from the poll already this is a widespread issue amongst i2 users. Can I suggest a quick message in the poll to acknowledge that there is a problem and DJI are investigating.

I have responded in your Poll thread.
2017-8-10
Use props
Dinos6
lvl.3

Russia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-10 03:17

At least give us a chance to downgrade the firmware - just to give us a chance to work during that fixing period!
2017-8-14
Use props
Dinos6
lvl.3

Russia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-10 03:17

The same issue with I2 from Russia.
Does not matter if there is obstacles or long distance - checked that problem on 30m distance and clear view.
Sometimes it was connected with pushing REC button on Slave RC.

DJI! Please decide the problem ASAP!
Losing work, clientage and $$$ everyday!
2017-8-14
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.4

United States

Dinos6 Posted at 2017-8-14 11:29
At least give us a chance to downgrade the firmware - just to give us a chance to work during that fixing period!

Yea, I'm with Dinos6 here ... DJI needs to allow us immediate access to downgrade to the compatible firmware of our choice for each respective piece of hardware. (Including the DJI GO 4 app.)

And I would hope that something in the recent update(s) is not irreversible ...

While it's true that not every Inspire 2 (or other DJI aircraft owner) has come to the forum to complain, it is very clear based on the number of complaints and specific symptoms that this was directly related to one of the recent updates. It should not require days/weeks/months of diagnostics by the engineering team to confirm our complaints.

All that being said, I can see how difficult this would be for DJI's engineering and development to fix. For those who have no issues on recent version of firmwares and app, all can stay the same. But for those who are having issues, how would DJI address only these specific individuals' concerns and still keep everyone else happy at the latest versions ...

(Or maybe the latest DJI GO 4 app is able to function with every different firmware version? In that case, just let us downgrade, PLEASE.)

Hopefully an appropriate resolution comes about quickly.
2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Dinos6 Posted at 2017-8-14 11:29

I will transfer your need to our engineers for consideration, please wait patiently for the response from our R&D engineers, thanks for your patience.
2017-8-15
Use props
Dinos6
lvl.3

Russia

Guys, I am still on testing period, but maybe it can help us a little:
We've changed Master and Slave between each other. I2 working good for 4 hours. Different location, distance and movements - still no disconnections.
But sometimes another problem appears - limit by attitude (30m) and distance (30m) even though everything is ok with that in the Menu. Restarting I2 helps.

Hope it will help you as well.
2017-8-15
Use props
fans7f21b292
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26017 ft
United States

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-8-8 13:03
Someone brought up an interesting point in another thread that I had started a week or so ago ...

Let's say there is a new source of interference that coincidentally happens at the same time as a firmware update. We could be griping and complaining to DJI when it's actually some random person's fault.

You can track wi-fi jammers or over powered wi-fi devices with an netscout or aircheck wi-fi tester with a directional antenna - but they are pricy  $2000 - $3000.

I have the same weak signal with my P3P since July firmware, constant video loss, some radio loss range is terrible, I have the netscout and do not have strong interferance in 2.4 or 5ghz  at ground level

Frankly I have been thinking of the Inspire 1 since prices are dropping, but after this problem (DJI has not even responded to my support request, I did get a survey though :-) I doubt I will ever buy a DJI again - just reading the forums there are UAV's with much better reported customer support

I really feal bat to a couple of folks I reccommended DJI to , one with and Inspire 1 and one with a P4P,  The P4P is experiancing the low data signal, the Inspire 1 has not been updated yet and is working well
2017-8-15
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.4

United States

fans7f21b292 Posted at 2017-8-15 13:50
You can track wi-fi jammers or over powered wi-fi devices with an netscout or aircheck wi-fi tester with a directional antenna - but they are pricy  $2000 - $3000.

I have the same weak signal with my P3P since July firmware, constant video loss, some radio loss range is terrible, I have the netscout and do not have strong interferance in 2.4 or 5ghz  at ground level

Yea. Would be great if we could get away from the terrible July update!

All I want is my old Inspire 2 back.
2017-8-15
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Still waiting for an answer DJI , please roll back the firmware !!!

Feeling so ripped off right now , this is no way to treat loyal customers .
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Dinos6 Posted at 2017-8-15 04:30
Guys, I am still on testing period, but maybe it can help us a little:
We've changed Master and Slave between each other. I2 working good for 4 hours. Different location, distance and movements - still no disconnections.
But sometimes another problem appears - limit by attitude (30m) and distance (30m) even though everything is ok with that in the Menu. Restarting I2 helps.

When you change another battery during flight, please reboot APP after powering on the aircraft.
2017-8-16
Use props
roffen
lvl.1
United States

I have noticed interference since the last update, it goes and comes.  I have 2 Inspire 2's also and dont think they are both broke
2017-8-16
Use props
roffen
lvl.1
United States

nazar404.yahoo Posted at 2017-8-5 05:55
Dan,

As I having been following you and your comments on this forum , I see DJI is  choosing not to answer this issue about  STRONG INTERFERENCE and reduced Signal strength.  As I am grounded now again and afraid of flying   my Inspire 2 more then 10 feet away .

wait til you try the Focus Handwheel 2, it does not fit the stand at all, it wobbles and disconnects itself while being used
2017-8-16
Use props
roffen
lvl.1
United States

kg11 Posted at 2017-8-7 02:10
interesting I have been to busy updating firmware etc on my inspire 2 to fly it as I have now brought a 5.5 crystal sky to go with it had to update that etc. Went out and flew was constantly losing video transmission and at 621metres the radio just disconnected completely and returned to home by itself. 621metres what a bloody joke my spark can fly further

I would rather have a nice Ipad Pro than a Crystal Sky.  I do not want to have to deal with android issues
2017-8-16
Use props
roffen
lvl.1
United States

Rob W Posted at 2017-8-6 23:21
@Mindy,

I'm just pointing out how to identify a problem.

I am also getting camera interference and vibration on I2
2017-8-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules