Flyaway Question?
973 7 2015-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trsmith18
lvl.2

United States

In attempts to minimize the chance of a flyaway caused by the Phantom thinking its outside its "recommended" area set your distance limits to essentially inifinity?
Ive seen this suggestion on the web and just wanted to see what the consensus is.

2015-3-25
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I guess you're referring to this video?

It makes sense to me. Others completely write it off though.

Setting the max limits shouldn't hurt anything. However, it's still important to ensure your home point is correctly set before taking off.
2015-3-25
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

I did not look at the video - but you need to think about it sensibly.  You have a finite life of flight with your battery.  You have a finite height (if you follow guidelines) for altitude.  Why take chances?  I would set my altitude to a reasonable height that would not get me in trouble with where I was flying that day, and my distance would be reasonable, but not excessive.  If it flies away, how far away from you do you want it to be before you may have to start potentially tracking down the remains (if you decide to do so)?

For reference, my max height is 390 feet.  My max distance is 5000 ft.
2015-3-25
Use props
trsmith18
lvl.2

United States

makes sense. Ive just read some reports that you can possibly get an incorrect GPS home point and then the Phantom will take off because it thinks its outside you "home range" and its trying to get back to it

Is there anyway in the vision app to confirm what the Phantoms believes the home point to be?
2015-3-25
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

nrgwise, you should look at the video. The point is that you could be in very grave danger if you think about it sensibly and set reasonable limits. Or, so the author of the video believes that to be the case.

trsmith18, look at the radar after your Phantom marks the home point. You should see the location in the center of the radar. Also, the distance should be zero or very close to zero.
2015-3-25
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

trsmith18@hotma Posted at 2015-3-26 10:08
makes sense. Ive just read some reports that you can possibly get an incorrect GPS home point and th ...

Ground station should show the correct home point, but still I keep my radius set high for now.
2015-3-25
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

busted post...
2015-3-25
Use props
busclas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 609012 ft
United States

After moving to a new location and callibrating GPS I go into settings from main phone app to find my phantom to make sure Tue app also knows where its at.
2015-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules