Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Do I need to register my Mavic with FAA?
3813 4 2017-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Roy.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5435299 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I will be taking my Mavic from Scotland to Florida in September, does anyone know if I need to register it with the FAA? I know the regs regarding batteries on the flight/no fly zones etc but I am confused as to whether I actually need to register it as a hobbyist, the FAA website "suggests" I do, but is it actually mandatory? I have been reminded by several people here in the UK that I must register the drone first but as I was starting the registration process I am beginning to wonder if I need to.

Below is a question from the FAQ section of the Federal Drone Registration website.
Q5. Why do I need to register?
A. Federal law requires aircraft registration for any aircraft being used for commercial purposes. The FAA suggests you also register your aircraft as a hobbyist.  Registration helps the FAA ensure safety – for you, others on the ground, and manned aircraft. UAS pose new security and privacy challenges and must be traceable in the event of an incident. It will also help enable the return of your UAS should it be lost.

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

2017-8-6
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

does anyone know if I need to register it with the FAA?  the FAA website "suggests" I do, but is it actually mandatory?

No, you don't have to. It was mandatory until a court decision a few months back, but that requirement was eliminated by the court case and there's currently no registration requirement.
2017-8-6
Use props
Roy.
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you, I'll spend the $5 on a beer instead.
2017-8-6
Use props
Sportbike*Pilot
lvl.2

United States

^^ just don't drink and fly.
2017-8-6
Use props
Roy.
Second Officer
  • >>>