2183 19 2015-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pawel2m
lvl.3
Flight distance : 57070 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Really scary... 14:15 masacre begins....

To DJI : Pls do smth with this this ESC . It it is dangerous as hell.

2015-3-26
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

14 minutes into a flight like that the battery is too low to do very much....

Also, that "pilot" needs to understand the very basics........

"Don't fly near people" is an important one.........having prop guards is a good idea if you intend to break this and other common sense rules.

BTW, how do you know this was the results of a bad ESC? Is this the newest Phantom? What exact version?

This "pilot" seems to have flown for long periods of time within 3 meters of a number of people. Should DJI be responsible for his behavior?
2015-3-26
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

agree.....to close to people. Lucky no one got hurt. Also almost looks like someone may have tipped it. That happened to me on takeoff a few weeks ago. My dog wants to chase it. The other day he caught the landing gear during takeoff, it flipped upside down and drove into the grass. Luckily nothing happened....except the dog stays in when I am launching now. (He's a Lab so maybe he thinks it's a duck)
2015-3-26
Use props
pawel2m
lvl.3
  • >>>
Poland

It was brand new Phantom 2v2 H4-3D  with 2.1 ESC. Of course it was irresponsible behavior of the pilot, but  mainly it was hardware failure.  Understanding basics will not save anybody from hardware failure.

I will have  details when customer will bring the Phantom to service ( my friend's shop), not mine (thx God).
2015-3-26
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Raybro Posted at 2015-3-27 02:08
agree.....to close to people. Lucky no one got hurt. Also almost looks like someone may have tipped  ...

Ray,
You can see the shadow of it in the background, no one touched it!
Can't quit tell if he haphazardly did a CSC or if the batteries were nearly dead...but definitely a flying blender for sure...and he did not need to use the Find My Phantom for that instance...
ESC could be short for Escape!
2015-3-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-27 03:01
Ray,
You can see the shadow of it in the background, no one touched it!
Can't quit tell if he haph ...

I played it frame for frame and when it started tipping, both sticks were centered, thumbs never moved so it had to be some sort of equipment failure.
2015-3-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

here is where it actually started tipping and going out of control.
control sticks.jpg
2015-3-26
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ah, so DJI is guilty before the evidence is in?

Let's hear about what was found after it's taken apart. In this case we have the bird in good condition so no reason to speculate...

Do you know what his battery level was at the time? I can't get 14 minutes - especially if powering other devices (GP and Gimbal and takeoff for FPV). I suspect low battery may be in the mix, but we'll see.
2015-3-26
Use props
pawel2m
lvl.3
  • >>>
Poland

Obviously no CSC as props were  spinning on the ground and you can see centered sticks on the footage. Tomorrow we will know more.
2015-3-26
Use props
zubeko
lvl.2

United Kingdom

i feel sorry for you :<
surely not your fault
2015-3-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Tweety P2V2H33D Posted at 2015-3-27 05:59
Hello Gerry

Just as a matter of interest what happened at the 7:00 minute mark (you need sound tu ...

It could be he  might have lost signal at that spot, it stopped dead in its tracks and then turned around like a lost signal would do.
2015-3-26
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

If you notice there are two people behind him then two men walk up and the people say hello ignoring the Phantom. It always worry me when there are several people at our airplane field flight line and start talking ignoring the airplane
2015-3-26
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

droneflyers.com

You really need to get your head out of your arse.  Its obvious the copter malfunctioned.  The video leads to presumptions due to lack of information, but at 14mins in (any battery level really) that SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.  We all know this  and your making yourself look foolish saying otherwise.

Looked to me like he was going to had catch anyway.
2015-3-27
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

this is a good example of what i mean by the 'unknown risk of hand catching'.  everyone always says, i hand catch all the time, its simple, easy and safe.  until a random event (pilot error, software/hardware malfunction, etc) happens.  im telling you after personal experience with the moving props, if this thing does something like this 2 ft above your head while you are hand catching, it could very easily take your face or neck clear apart before you ever 'react' to it.  i am not saying that the likelihood of something like this warrants never hand catching, but ill say that it isnt without risk.  here is another video showing random inversion like that, this one didnt happen around people but had it been during a hand catch, there could certainly have been injury.  this is why i land whenever possible and hand catch only when it is about the only option:

2015-3-27
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

umpa Posted at 2015-3-27 17:10
droneflyers.com

You really need to get your head out of your arse.  Its obvious the copter malfunct ...

Why the heck would you come to a conclusion and talk like you know something - when the quad is in their possession and they can carefully check it?

I'm glad you are not a judge or a cop....or maybe you are!

If something is proven wrong, then it is wrong. If not, it may not be.

Have you flown a heavily loaded bird with FPV and OSD and GP and other stuff draining the battery for 15 minutes? That's WAY on the long side of flights when power is being taken off - even long for my more efficient P2V+.

I don't know what happened. You don't either. Nothing is obvious.
Or else you should join the NTSB because you somehow read the minds of machines.

2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-3-27 21:15
Why the heck would you come to a conclusion and talk like you know something - when the quad is in ...

When I flew to very low battery, it just wanted to land.  It didn't tilt off to one side without stick input.
2015-3-27
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-27 21:23
When I flew to very low battery, it just wanted to land.  It didn't tilt off to one side without s ...

When I flew with low battery it went into RTH mode and hit a low tree and flipped over...

I don't think either of us have a GP equipped P2 with custom dealer-added components though.....who knows how things act with other than the P2 Phantom app?

There are so many variables with these things and having a non-stock unit adds a lot to that formula. We don't know, for example, if he's using 3rd party apps.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a ESC. However, trying to hang around after 14 minutes with the current draw of all those add-ons is pushing things. The P2 is strange when it comes to behavior with low batteries. My P1 is different - it always acts the same way on low batt.

If it happened 5 minutes into the flight it would be easier to diagnose...

I learned my lesson.
At 50% I look for a place to land - and land by 40% - and I don't take off again. I don't know why DJI tries to fool us with these percentages...they should report not the battery capacity but the flying capacity - which is about zero when the battery hits 20-25%.

For me this represents 10-12 minutes of flight - shorter times due to wind which puts lots of strain on the batteries.
2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-3-27 23:53
When I flew with low battery it went into RTH mode and hit a low tree and flipped over...

I don't ...

I usually average 15 to 16 minutes with mine and it is just getting to the battery warning.  If I push it harder, it's less.
2015-3-27
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Double post please ignore
2015-3-28
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

droneflyers.com
Your protecting your business interest, we all know this. It’s in your interest to blame the pilot. You wasn’t there, you don't know any more than anyone else.

You use the forum to hock your warze and site. I wonder if people will buy from you knowing you instantly blame the customer?
Also you have no evidence of an overloaded drone.  And YES I do know what its like to fly a heavy drone.
2015-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules