Few questions about Goggles
2042 22 2017-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cho7
lvl.2
France

Hi There,

I tested my new DJI Goggles and I have a few questions.

1. When using 1080p resolution, each time that I push a RC stick, some arrows are displayed on the screen. To be honest, I'm not sure if it's efficient to help me predict the direction of my aircraft. I find them useless. But moreover, it seems that displaying these arrows is adding some latency/lag to my video stream, even if the aircraft is in front of me and at less than 30 meters. This is unacceptable ! Am i the only one to have this behavior ? If yes (or no), can I deactivate these useless arrows ?

2. My primary usage of Googles was to use them as a standalone solution with the RC controller. In other words : I have my mavic, I have my goggles, then I can fly.
Except that by doing this my flight is limited to a *very* short distance, and I guess this is due to the fact that my phone is not plugged in the RC. Again, this is a serious limitation, because it forces me to still plug my phone in the RC controller, is there a way to bypass this ?

Thanks

2017-8-7
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

I'm considering buying a Mavic tomorrow and I have some related questions:

Why must you unplug your phone from the controller?  I've heard other people say that they start up the aircraft with the phone (to get past the range limitation) and then unplug it to use the Goggles.  Why do they do this?  Do the Goggles not work at all with the phone plugged into the RC?  I thought the Goggles were wireless so it shouldn't matter if something is physically plugged in too...?

Do you find that the lag is better with the Goggles than a phone screen?  All of my phones and tablets are really crappy and DJI Go 4 is unusable for FPV with my P4 because I only get like 5 fps.  Litchi is a bit better, and my HDMI goggles are the best.  Since the Mavic RC has no HDMI out, I'm stuck with the $400 Goggles I guess.  But if there's going to be just as much lag as a phone or tablet, I'll just save my money and skip the Goggles and skip the Mavic too.
2017-8-7
Use props
cho7
lvl.2
France

>> "Do the Goggles not work at all with the phone plugged into the RC?"
Yes they work with the phone plugged into the RC. But I wanted to use them *without* the phone. I never tried to unplug the phone once the googles are connected, so maybe I should try this. It's still a pain in the *ss because it's not what I call a "standalone" aircraft, but I guess it's all I can pretend.

Well, 1600 euros for the combo aircraft+goggles, and I can't use my aircraft like I want. The more ridiculous part ? I can't even start the DJI Go App 4 right now, because a bug make it crash as soon as my aircraft is detected (dji go 4.1.5). And knowing that I only need this $*! app for registring purpose and get rid of the range limitation.

Seriously, it might be the beggining of the end of my DJI story...

2017-8-8
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You can fly but with  very limited range without Mavic connecting to compatible mobile app. This is new Dji's regulation for safe flying. It is obvious that the aircraft must be in line of sight without mobile. If the aircraft is flying out of sight then you need to know its location and the only way is via the app.
2017-8-8
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep...I went through this and posted on another thread...you have to start the Go App then turn the goggles on...after the goggles are on and you are ready to go you can unplug the phone or tablet. Otherwise, yes you are limited to a very short distance...mine was about 40M ...on the up side, if you leave your phone/tablet plugged in then you have a backup if the goggles fail.....not what you wanted to hear I know but that's the way it works right now...I believe it's because the goggles need to connect to the Go App before you fly...
2017-8-8
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

What if overnight the Drone Fairie downgraded the firmware on your Mavic?  To a version before the distance restriction was put in.  Would that work?
2017-8-8
Use props
ars.fabula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 706234 ft
Switzerland

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-8-8 17:51
What if overnight the Drone Fairie downgraded the firmware on your Mavic?  To a version before the distance restriction was put in.  Would that work?

Not really, the Drone and Goggles need to have the same FW revisions for everything to work together. Headtracking modes don't work correctly with older FW. you need at least .0800 which  already has the flight restriction.
2017-8-8
Use props
ars.fabula
lvl.4
Switzerland

Did you try going "full screen". You then just have the video feed. In any case I don't have any lags whatever the screen display with my goggles
2017-8-8
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

ars.fabula Posted at 2017-8-8 21:35
Headtracking modes don't work correctly with older FW. you need at least .0800 which  already has the flight restriction.

Hmmm I briefly saw "headtracking" mentioned on the page before I ordered the Goggles today, but I'm still not exactly sure how that works.  Definitely I can live without that, I think.  Because I sure wouldn't want my shot to get screwed up just because I moved my head slightly to bat away a mosquito or take a sip of my scotch.

Without ever having played with it, it sounds like one of those things that companies do just because it's possible, and then try to find out a reason for it after the fact.  Kinda like the whole Nintendo Wii where everything was just a gimmick with poor gameplay usually.  I dunno.  I'll try it out at least once... will remember to back up all my firmware first.
2017-8-8
Use props
cho7
lvl.2
France

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-8 17:06
You can fly but with  very limited range without Mavic connecting to compatible mobile app. This is new Dji's regulation for safe flying. It is obvious that the aircraft must be in line of sight without mobile. If the aircraft is flying out of sight then you need to know its location and the only way is via the app.

"It is obvious that the aircraft must be in line of sight without mobile"

You'll have to trust me on that one : even if I had one eye, I could still see my drone further than 30 meters ! I can't even reach my garden's limits ...
2017-8-8
Use props
cho7
lvl.2
France

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-8-8 17:44
Yep...I went through this and posted on another thread...you have to start the Go App then turn the goggles on...after the goggles are on and you are ready to go you can unplug the phone or tablet. Otherwise, yes you are limited to a very short distance...mine was about 40M ...on the up side, if you leave your phone/tablet plugged in then you have a backup if the goggles fail.....not what you wanted to hear I know but that's the way it works right now...I believe it's because the goggles need to connect to the Go App before you fly...

They don't need the app to work, because they work if you simply power on RC and aircraft. But they will be in limited area mode. That's my problem :-(
2017-8-8
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-8-7 22:12

Why must you unplug your phone from the controller?  I've heard other people say that they start up the aircraft with the phone (to get past the range limitation) and then unplug it to use the Goggles.  Why do they do this?  Do the Goggles not work at all with the phone plugged into the RC?  I thought the Goggles were wireless so it shouldn't matter if something is physically plugged in too...?

personally i almost always fly with my goggles and i ALWAYS have my phone device attached - no problems.
I am also curious about the arrow thing - it is very confusing - but i do not suffer any lag - so i do not think the lag is connected to the arrow thing.
2017-8-9
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

ars.fabula Posted at 2017-8-8 21:39
Did you try going "full screen". You then just have the video feed. In any case I don't have any lags whatever the screen display with my goggles

Goggles full screen is a full screen without any information such as battery levels or anything else except a picture and grid lines if that option is selected - otherwise no flight data - guess u could still see it on the RC but that means goggles off and check RC - not for me thanks.
2017-8-9
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

cho7 Posted at 2017-8-8 22:11
They don't need the app to work, because they work if you simply power on RC and aircraft. But they will be in limited area mode. That's my problem :-(

That's what I said..you have to start the Go app or you will be limited to about 40m
2017-8-9
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-8-8 21:42
Hmmm I briefly saw "headtracking" mentioned on the page before I ordered the Goggles today, but I'm still not exactly sure how that works.  Definitely I can live without that, I think.  Because I sure wouldn't want my shot to get screwed up just because I moved my head slightly to bat away a mosquito or take a sip of my scotch.

Without ever having played with it, it sounds like one of those things that companies do just because it's possible, and then try to find out a reason for it after the fact.  Kinda like the whole Nintendo Wii where everything was just a gimmick with poor gameplay usually.  I dunno.  I'll try it out at least once... will remember to back up all my firmware first.

There's 2 head tracking...one is camera gimbal which is while you are filming and the other is basically head tracking ...meaning the camera looks where you are looking...instead of using the gimbal nob  on the RC you just look....I like it for flying but I don't like it for filming...takes a bit to get use to and I haven't been able to keep my head steady enough for filming...like you mentioned, one pesky fly and so much for the shot
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The below screenshot might be helpful to understand the arrow. Also, I would recommend you to connect with DJI GO and logged in your DJI account to get rid of distance limitation.
Main Screen 2.png
Main Screen 1.png
2017-8-9
Use props
cho7
lvl.2
Italy

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-9 19:23
The below screenshot might be helpful to understand the arrow. Also, I would recommend you to connect with DJI GO and logged in your DJI account to get rid of distance limitation.

Actually I should have been clearer : it's not this arrow that I was talking about, but the arrows that appear in fixed-wing mode only, when moving the aircraft up/down/left/right

I'm not sure how helpful they really are, and they add some lag to my video stream.

2017-8-9
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-8-7 22:12

who says you have to unplug then phone from the controller. I use a mini 4 in the controller and the goggles are wireless.
2017-8-10
Use props
Alan M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1581581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-9 09:08
Goggles full screen is a full screen without any information such as battery levels or anything else except a picture and grid lines if that option is selected - otherwise no flight data - guess u could still see it on the RC but that means goggles off and check RC - not for me thanks.

How do you get the grid lines on the goggles? I'm on .900 and can't find that option.

Thanks

Alan M
2017-8-10
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

Alan M Posted at 2017-8-10 08:17
How do you get the grid lines on the goggles? I'm on .900 and can't find that option.

Thanks

in yr goggles first screen swipe through camera to video then swipe through video to Camera settings - then 3 option appear - Camera - video - something else
Tap on camera (1st option) and there you will see various options - grid lines is last item (i think)
2017-8-10
Use props
ars.fabula
lvl.4
Switzerland

Alan M Posted at 2017-8-10 08:17

Thanks

Swipe down with 2 fingers. 1st option is full screen.
2017-8-10
Use props
Alan M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1581581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-10 11:56
in yr goggles first screen swipe through camera to video then swipe through video to Camera settings - then 3 option appear - Camera - video - something else
Tap on camera (1st option) and there you will see various options - grid lines is last item (i think)

Found it thanks.

Alan M
2017-8-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

cho7 Posted at 2017-8-8 22:10
"It is obvious that the aircraft must be in line of sight without mobile"

You'll have to trust me on that one : even if I had one eye, I could still see my drone further than 30 meters ! I can't even reach my garden's limits ...

If this bothers you, I would recommend you to use the Full Screen by swiping down with double fingers.
2017-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules