Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CrystalSky upper left corner getting too hot???
1822 22 2017-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Few minutes and the top left side of the CS, where the HDMI port is located, start getting hot after few minutes.

Did anyone experienced this issue? Did you get any solution? Does it need to be returned?

Thx

2017-8-7
Use props
bakerfox
lvl.1
Flight distance : 165338 ft
United States

I did the firmware upgrade this past weekend and now it feels really hot.  It didn't do that before the upgrade.  
2017-8-7
Use props
PimpDawg
First Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Mine gets hot on the left side too. Not sure if this is a pattern, but a few times my CS screen acts like I'm pressing on it when I'm not, and I think it is happening when the CS unit gets hot on the left side.
2017-8-8
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
India

bakerfox Posted at 2017-8-7 20:09
I did the firmware upgrade this past weekend and now it feels really hot.  It didn't do that before the upgrade.

Thx BakerFox!

I thought that was weird! Also no fan is kicking in to cool it down! Mine really got HOT  and it took almost 10 minutes to cool down after I shut it down.

If I don't get any response from a DJI ADMIN, I am going to return it.

2017-8-8
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-8-8 07:00
Mine gets hot on the left side too. Not sure if this is a pattern, but a few times my CS screen acts like I'm pressing on it when I'm not, and I think it is happening when the CS unit gets hot on the left side.

Thx PimpDawg...

I read your other post about fan kicking in but mine never did kick in and it kept getting hotter and hotter.

About the the screen acting up, it happened once and I think it was because the network was trying to connect and reconnect in the background (I was using a hot spot).

2017-8-8
Use props
PimpDawg
First Officer
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-8-8 08:42
Thx PimpDawg...

I read your other post about fan kicking in but mine never did kick in and it kept getting hotter and hotter.

I might have misspoke about hearing a fan on my CS. I'm thinking what I heard was the Mavic controller fan rather than from the CS. I used it last night just to review content on a microSD card and it got pretty warm on the left side and I never heard a fan kick on. I thought these had one in them but now I'm not so sure.
2017-8-8
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
France

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-8-8 09:28
I might have misspoke about hearing a fan on my CS. I'm thinking what I heard was the Mavic controller fan rather than from the CS. I used it last night just to review content on a microSD card and it got pretty warm on the left side and I never heard a fan kick on. I thought these had one in them but now I'm not so sure.

That's what I thought.

I tried the P4P+ monitor and kept it on for 40 minutes and it didn't even get hot at all. !
2017-8-8
Use props
bakerfox
lvl.1
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-8-8 08:37
Thx BakerFox!

I thought that was weird! Also no fan is kicking in to cool it down! Mine really got HOT  and it took almost 10 minutes to cool down after I shut it down.

I will watch for a reply.  Hopefully the next update will fix this.  I work for a group of TV stations and we are considering buying 24 for all of our stations/drones.
2017-8-8
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
France

bakerfox Posted at 2017-8-8 13:39
I will watch for a reply.  Hopefully the next update will fix this.  I work for a group of TV stations and we are considering buying 24 for all of our stations/drones.

I tried it again today and the CS got so hot that I had to land the MP after 14 minutes of flying....
2017-8-8
Use props
PimpDawg
First Officer
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-8-8 18:17
I tried it again today and the CS got so hot that I had to land the MP after 14 minutes of flying....

That's nuts. The specs say these can operate in up to 104℉ in direct sunlight. What was the temp where you flew?

Can someone confirm whether these have an internal fan?
2017-8-8
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-8-8 19:31
That's nuts. The specs say these can operate in up to 104℉ in direct sunlight. What was the temp where you flew?

Can someone confirm whether these have an internal fan?

70 F  , No humidity, NICE COOL BREEZE!
2017-8-8
Use props
Samahita
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17041 ft
Sri Lanka

say no heat problem. It should have an internal fan.
2017-8-8
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
France

Samahita Posted at 2017-8-8 23:41

say no heat problem. It should have an internal fan.

Thx, I saw that but he has it on a mount and we are holding it in our hands and NO I did not hear any fan kick in at ALL???
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi, guys, sorry for the late response.
Thanks for your feedback, I will report to our engineers for analysis, I will come back to you once I hear from them, appreciate your patience.
2017-8-10
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-10 01:17
Hi, guys, sorry for the late response.
Thanks for your feedback, I will report to our engineers for analysis, I will come back to you once I hear from them, appreciate your patience.

Hi MIndy,

Thx, but please let me know soon because I only have few days before I can ask for a refund.
2017-8-10
Use props
PimpDawg
First Officer
United States

I just flew my Mavic using my CS and it got hot enough that a fan kicked on in the CS. I confirmed by landing the Mavic and turning off the controller and could still hear the fan running in the CS just to be sure I wasn't hearing the controller's fan. It ran for a couple of minutes then went off. It performed fine with no issues. So I think these things just get hot but seems to be ok so long as the internal cooling fan works properly.
2017-8-10
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
Moldova

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-8-10 17:12
I just flew my Mavic using my CS and it got hot enough that a fan kicked on in the CS. I confirmed by landing the Mavic and turning off the controller and could still hear the fan running in the CS just to be sure I wasn't hearing the controller's fan. It ran for a couple of minutes then went off. It performed fine with no issues. So I think these things just get hot but seems to be ok so long as the internal cooling fan works properly.

I think I have a defective one because no matter how hot it gets NO FAN is kicking  on.

BTW, how loud is the fan? Can you hear it or you need to put close to your ear?

2017-8-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Sorry to have kept you waiting, here are details for the issues you encountered:
1. Why you would feel hot on the left side of CrystalSky? Why the fan didn't spin?
We would feel hot because of the low temperature environment and the material on the left side is mental, which is usually 40 degree centigrade or lower.
When the CrystalSky works in room temperature, the fan will not kick on to avoid the noise.
2. Will the fan turn on and when?
The fan will spin for sure. Once the environment temperature becomes too harsh, like in high temperature, the fan will kick on very soon, and the speed will be different according to different temperature to make sure the CrystalSky works normally.
2017-8-10
Use props
PimpDawg
First Officer
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-8-10 19:34
I think I have a defective one because no matter how hot it gets NO FAN is kicking  on.

BTW, how loud is the fan? Can you hear it or you need to put close to your ear?

Its loud enough that you'll notice it, not too quiet. Ambient temp was about 83 degrees F.

Digging your proxy server btw lol.
2017-8-10
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-10 20:04
Sorry to have kept you waiting, here are details for the issues you encountered:
1. Why you would feel hot on the left side of CrystalSky? Why the fan didn't spin?
We would feel hot because of the low temperature environment and the material on the left side is mental, which is usually 40 degree centigrade or lower.

Thx Mindy,

The fan is NOT kicking in, inside nor outside. With all do respect this is kind of the wall answer. I have P4P+ and the screen NEVER gets hot. I turned the CS on by itseld and let it run for 40 minutes and again the same side got hot little above normal and again the fan did not kick in.

I then turned the CS on and then connected the app and the P4P and in about 10 minutes the same side got really hot and the fan did NOT kick in and I had to shut it down because it really became toooo hot.

The temperature was just 76 F, breezy and no direct sun hitting the CS.

I did the same thing inside at 72 F, connected everything and the CS got really hot, no fan kicked in and I had to shut it off.

I will returning the unit tomorrow. This is the first tiem I have ever returned from DJI. I am waiting on the 7.5" and I hope it doesn't have the same issue.

Thx

2017-8-11
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
France

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-8-10 20:15
Its loud enough that you'll notice it, not too quiet. Ambient temp was about 83 degrees F.

Digging your proxy server btw lol.

Thx dude. Mine no noise nothing just keep getting hot???

It is the ONION one and it takes you all over the place!  
2017-8-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

dronist Posted at 2017-8-11 07:15
Thx Mindy,

The fan is NOT kicking in, inside nor outside. With all do respect this is kind of the wall answer. I have P4P+ and the screen NEVER gets hot. I turned the CS on by itseld and let it run for 40 minutes and again the same side got hot little above normal and again the fan did not kick in.

When the CrystalSky works in room temperature, the fan will not kick on to avoid unnecessary noise.
76F is the room temperature, you can try to test in the environment with higher temperature, like the post 19#, 83F.
2017-8-14
Use props
bakerfox
lvl.1
United States

Thanks Mindy, After the latest firmware update, my heat problems I was having seem to be resolved, however now a new issue that may be for a different thread, but my compass is showing an error, but I have no option to calibrate with the DJI GO4 software from the Crystalsky.  I can attach my iPad and can calibrate.  This seems to be a serious bug that needs the attention of engineers.  Thanks for all your help! Bill
2017-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules