ATTI method
3000 23 2015-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlaskaDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55036 ft
United States

Hello. I see a lot of people state they fly in ATTI mode. Is this done by user choice, or is the GPS signal not working and the drone is making the decision? I thought that the Inspire makes the choice for you in "p"mode. If I want to fli in ATTI mode, would I simply switch to "a" mode, or do I have to hope the drone makes that decision for me?
2015-3-26
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

To be sure that the craft stays in ATTI, you'll need to switch to "A" flight mode.
Otherwise, you may suffer switches between GPS and ATTI.
2015-3-26
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I would suggest flying in Atti mode on the simulator and crank up the wind speed, this will give you more experience of actually flying and controlling the aircraft without the GPS holding its position.

2015-3-26
Use props
AlaskaDrone
lvl.2
United States

Thank you. I began my drone experience a couple years ago by learning on a manual drone. Everything was difficult, but I leartned how to fly drone by beginning with a crude, manual drone. This was the advise of a book I read on drone flying. Since then, I worked my way up to the Inspire. I feel confident flying in ATTI, but will take your suggestion and try the simulator.

By the way, My drone crashed a couple weeks ago and is awaiting repair at DJI. I completed the 2nd firmware update, calibrated the IMU, did the GPS calibration, and began flying it. It did the toilet bowl routine, so I landed it, tried again, and everything seemed ok. About 30 feet off the ground, the toilet bowl effect started again. This heigth wasnt enough to go up or down without hitting tree branches, what is exactly ended up happening. I knew I was in troulble immediately when the toilet bowl effext began happening at 30'.

I never had the toilet bowl happen after landing, getting the GPS "lock", then taking off again. This was my first flight after doing the firmware update. Anyway, I think I am going to only fly this drone out in very open areas, as my fear of the toilet bowl action will probably take a long time to heal!
2015-3-27
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The ATTI mode is manual flying, no GPS involved, just  your input. I would practice often in an open area to get use to it in case you go out of GPS mode. It is enjoyable also and will give you more confidence when and if that occasion arises and you feel helpless and feel the acid in your stomach.
2015-3-27
Use props
Prop-Lock Girl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2419163 ft
Germany

I use to fly at least 2 batteries in ATTI (by manually setting the "A" mode) every 5 hours or so. Although I fully trust GPS-Mode I just want to be prepared and feel confident in case of GPS signal loss. BTW I flew the i1 about 40 hours now and had not a single GPS signal loss.
2015-3-27
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Prop-Lock Girl Posted at 2015-3-28 03:07
I use to fly at least 2 batteries in ATTI (by manually setting the "A" mode) every 5 hours or so. Al ...

Smart move, all of us should do I practice it with my Phantoms and one day it really came in handy and saved my Butt and my Phantom. Made a believer out of me!
2015-3-27
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Prop-Lock Girl, are you using the latest firmware .17 ??
2015-3-27
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

It's strange how only some 17 users experience gps loss...
2015-3-27
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

The ATTI mode is not manual mode.  Manual mode is when you fly without the aid of electronic help.  Now that will get your reflex's going.
2015-3-27
Use props
Prop-Lock Girl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2419163 ft
Germany

Grimtheviking Posted at 2015-3-28 05:35
Hi Prop-Lock Girl, are you using the latest firmware .17 ??

Yes, I do.
2015-3-27
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
Hong Kong

Actually strange that this manual mode is not an option on the Inspire.
It has been position on all the other DJI controllers, Naza, WKM and A2...
2015-3-28
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

Actually strange that this manual mode is not an option on the Inspire.
It has been position on all the other DJI controllers, Naza, WKM and A2...

I think that the £3K all inclusive price tag might have influenced this decision.

Cheers.

Jason
2015-3-28
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AlaskaDrone Posted at 2015-3-28 02:17
Thank you. I began my drone experience a couple years ago by learning on a manual drone. Everything  ...

Alaska,

When you say toilet bowl effect, do you mean the aircraft going into a spin.

I had a similar event and this was due to the actual strut/ rod under the main arm from teh aircraft coming out of its socket on the aircraft.

Just wondering if the rod was perhaps coming loose on your aircraft?

2015-3-28
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2015-3-27 05:16
To be sure that the craft stays in ATTI, you'll need to switch to "A" flight mode.
Otherwise, you ma ...

When you refer to "A" flight mode, are you referring to P-GPS on the inspire or is there some other switch I'm missing?
2015-3-28
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
Hong Kong

I agree Jason, but 3K is not even half the cost of my former S800Evo or a third of an S1000, so it means it has never been so cheap to fly something close to a professional platform and yet it does not offer this option. I could at least be lock by default, but unlock able.

Not really useful, but should be an option.

Have fun
2015-3-28
Use props
AlaskaDrone
lvl.2
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-28 18:20
Alaska,

When you say toilet bowl effect, do you mean the aircraft going into a spin.

No, nothing came off. When the craft has issues with GPS, I think the toilet bowl during initial takeoff is quite common. In the past, I simply would land it, let it sit a minute, then take off again. That always solved it.

This is the first I ever had it happen during flight after takeoff.  This was also the first flight after the latest firmware update!
2015-3-29
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AlaskaDrone Posted at 2015-3-30 07:36
No, nothing came off. When the craft has issues with GPS, I think the toilet bowl during initial t ...

Ok,

But just for clarity can you describe what you mean by Toilet Bowl effect.  Is teh aircraft going round in a 360 spin or is it a different effect your describing ?
2015-3-29
Use props
fullyestablishe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-30 15:51
Ok,

But just for clarity can you describe what you mean by Toilet Bowl effect.  Is teh aircraft g ...

I believe that the toilet bowl effect relates to the Inspire describing a circle whilst pointing in the same direction. Thus it looks like the way water swirls around a toilet. Mine often does this after take of with the circles increasing in diameter but I either just correct in GPS mode or switch to ATTI mode using the left hand switch on the control and fly off. To be honest it does not really bother me; I just ensure that when I take off I keep a distance from obstacles and control the craft positively. Mine sometimes will also dip in height but just always be following through and control the craft. .
2015-3-30
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fullyestablishe Posted at 2015-3-30 16:44
I believe that the toilet bowl effect relates to the Inspire describing a circle whilst pointing i ...

A circle whilst pointing the same direction ??

Do you mean the aircraft fully rotates 360 degrees in a circle whilst in a hover position ?
2015-3-30
Use props
fullyestablishe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

No, the nose always points to the same heading and it describes a two to 4 metre wide circle in the horizontal plane.
2015-3-30
Use props
AlaskaDrone
lvl.2
United States

The "toiler bowl" effect was posted in this forum many times. In fact, DJI referred to that when I called for my RMA. It just swirls around with the nose not changing direction. It swirls. It never bothered me either, until it happend at heighth while navigationg between trees.

From now on, I am only taking off in wide open areas. Thanfully Alaska has a lot of that!
2015-3-30
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AlaskaDrone Posted at 2015-3-31 05:59
The "toiler bowl" effect was posted in this forum many times. In fact, DJI referred to that when I c ...

I guess all you have to worry about up there is Polar Bears and Russians !!
2015-3-31
Use props
AlaskaDrone
lvl.2
United States

And Palins!
2015-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules