Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New features suggestion for DJI
489 8 2017-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LouisP
Captain
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

After trying out gesture mode and finding it to be mostly a novelty I thought about something that might be a good feature to add to the spark software.

What about pre-programed flight modes that can be actuated by holding a card with a QR code printed on it in front of the camera?

Many times I would like to simply fly up to a given altitude, take a few pictures and decend.  That got me thinking, all of that info could be encoded into a QR code and passed to the spark.  For example, fly up to 100 feet, take a picture, turn 10 drgrees left, take a picture, turn 20 degrees right, take a picture, desend to hover altitude.  Many 'commands' could be enebled this way, fly east x feet, start video record while flying south and descnding to 50 feet.  It could almost be a programing language to tell the spark what to do.
And, I think it should be fairly simple to add via a firmware update.

DJI, you can have this idea for free :-)

Thanks
Louis

2017-8-7
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

too gimmicky and too exploitable by trolls..  meaning someone could post QR codes on windows and things then spark unintentionally read it and crash..
2017-8-7
Use props
LouisP
Captain
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-7 17:58
too gimmicky and too exploitable by trolls..  meaning someone could post QR codes on windows and things then spark unintentionally read it and crash..

Hadn't thought of that but it could require the code to be a large portion of the camera so that it would not read them from very far away. Or only read one code at startup before preforming a maneuver.
2017-8-7
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

LouisP Posted at 2017-8-7 18:29
Hadn't thought of that but it could require the code to be a large portion of the camera so that it would not read them from very far away. Or only read one code at startup before preforming a maneuver.

ya it would need to be permission based as well again, if it could at anytime and only required large portion of the sensor to be covered someone could lay out a large blanket at a park near water line and if you got curious looked down at it, and it could launch commands to go forward 50 feet and land in the water..

similar issue if common "choke point"  drone fliers use like fly over a specific path a lot someone could put a large banner up and if your spark is RTH and it reads command, RIP.

so yea, im all for little easter eggs being added into the spark and other drones to go on little adventures and get rewards and stuff, have to be careful with "remote commands"
2017-8-7
Use props
LouisP
Captain
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-7 18:42
ya it would need to be permission based as well again, if it could at anytime and only required large portion of the sensor to be covered someone could lay out a large blanket at a park near water line and if you got curious looked down at it, and it could launch commands to go forward 50 feet and land in the water..

similar issue if common "choke point"  drone fliers use like fly over a specific path a lot someone could put a large banner up and if your spark is RTH and it reads command, RIP.

I was really only suggesting it as an enhancement to gesture mode.   Like maybe three button clicks to read a code (one time seems like a good idea now) and do something.
2017-8-7
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

LouisP Posted at 2017-8-7 18:52
I was really only suggesting it as an enhancement to gesture mode.   Like maybe three button clicks to read a code (one time seems like a good idea now) and do something.

that would maybe work.  thats better that way its harder to get trolled by someone posting random QR codes.
2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for the advice. This is kind of similar with Waypoint Mission which Spark doesn't support. I'll transfer this to our engineers.
2017-8-9
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-9 20:17
Thanks for the advice. This is kind of similar with Waypoint Mission which Spark doesn't support. I'll transfer this to our engineers.

Hardware wise the spark supports it... why is dji so lazy with software?
2017-8-9
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

Maybe they could add a QR code which tells the Spark not to fall out of the sky at random.  That would seem to be a better use of the engineers' time than arguably silly feature requests.
2017-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules