New mavic controller battery drains quickly and charges while disconnected
1199 8 2017-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Xanthus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 190804 ft
Israel

I bought a mavic combo a few days ago and i've noticed that the controller behaves quite strangely. Yesterday i started flying at about 98% controller battery and about 20 minutes later when i landed the controller was at 47%. After about 15 minutes i put a new battery in the mavic, turned on the controller and it showed 60%. By the time i had to land after the second flight the controller was already at 15%. I couldn't even use the third battery. I checked the controller a few minutes later and the battery level was going up again. I use a galaxy s7 edge and its battery level is barely affected during flight. I know that it will drain the controller battery unlike an iphone/ipad but to the point where it doesnt even let me use a third battery seems rather extreme.

Did i just get a faulty controller? Or is there another way to fix this issue ?
2017-8-8
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Does it "recharge" if your S7 is removed?  Otherwise, it sounds like battery internal resistance issues - maybe heat related - but  possibly due to Li2O buildup on the internal battery terminals.  Are you using the Mavic charger to charge the RC or an ordinary cell phone charger?
2017-8-8
Use props
Xanthus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 190804 ft
Israel

Griffith Posted at 2017-8-8 07:31
Does it "recharge" if your S7 is removed?  Otherwise, it sounds like battery internal resistance issues - maybe heat related - but  possibly due to Li2O buildup on the internal battery terminals.  Are you using the Mavic charger to charge the RC or an ordinary cell phone charger?

It recharges when it's turned off and not connected to a phone/charger. I've only charged it using the dji charger, haven't gotten the chance to use the car charger.
2017-8-8
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

When it is idle, it harldy uses any juice for days. When I use it, it uses around 10 to 15 % per battery!
2017-8-8
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

Xanthus Posted at 2017-8-8 07:56
It recharges when it's turned off and not connected to a phone/charger. I've only charged it using the dji charger, haven't gotten the chance to use the car charger.

I was unimpressed with the car charger.

2017-8-8
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

I doubt it's actually recharging - just dropping internal resistance - still bad. I think it may be worth contacting DJI service for a warranty repair.  Your indicated battery usage is definitely abnormal.
2017-8-8
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Is the firmware up to date? Try fully discharge it, then fully charge it again, see if it works. If it is the same, please contact the Support to send it in for diagnosis.
2017-8-8
Use props
dodgeboy
lvl.1
United States

I just noticed mine behaving this way yesterday, after upgrading to the 0900 firmware.  I downgraded this morning, but haven't had a chance to fly and see if it fixes the issue.  Prior to yesterday (which was the first time I had flown in about a month), I used to get 5-6 25+ minute flights out of a controller charge.  Yesterday, I was unable to have two full flights (it got to warning level midway through the second flight).  I'm not sure if the firmware had a negative impact on my controller battery life, or if my battery is failing suddenly.
2017-8-10
Use props
dodgeboy
lvl.1
United States

Downgrading to 0800, or upgrading to 1000 did not fix my issue.  I think I may have a bad battery in my controller, but it's odd that it came on so suddenly.
2017-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules