Battery Error on all batteries - Help
3641 17 2017-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans63851e9a
New
United Kingdom

Hi guys,

I'm getting the same error message on all my batteries as of a couple of days ago and am running out of idea fast!

I put the battery in, turn on the i1 and the tx. I get the steady red light to indicate something is wrong, and on the ipad it says battery error, and the level readout is at 0%. All my batteries do exactly the same thing and I can't for love nor money get anything different. I've tried cleaning all the pins, checking they're all at the same height. The only thing I can think of left on my list is to replace the battery board, which is a bit of a mighty job.

I've spoken to the great guys at Heliguy and they reckon it's that, but I'm reluctant to send the i1 away as I need it over the weekend!

If anybody could shed any light on this I'd be hugely appreciative!

Here is a link to a video of the error:

Ben
2017-8-8
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just to confirm, these batteries have been fully charged, correct. If charged, do you have all green LED's lit up after they have been charged?

Just trying to see if you have a bad power supply (charger) or if this is onboard the Inspire.

Rich
2017-8-8
Use props
fans63851e9a
New
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-8 09:17
Just to confirm, these batteries have been fully charged, correct. If charged, do you have all green LED's lit up after they have been charged?

Just trying to see if you have a bad power supply (charger) or if this is onboard the Inspire.

I can most certainly confirm that all of my batteries are 100% charged, and had been used the day before and worked just fine. Cheers RichJ53
2017-8-8
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans63851e9a Posted at 2017-8-8 09:25
I can most certainly confirm that all of my batteries are 100% charged, and had been used the day before and worked just fine. Cheers RichJ53

If might be worth charging them completely to 100% because of the self discharge feature you can not rely on the LED's.  If you have another DJI power supply, also try that too. Once the batteries are charged see what the App tells you.

keep us informed on what you find out.

Rich

Rich
2017-8-8
Use props
BenHinton007
New
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-8 10:22
If might be worth charging them completely to 100% because of the self discharge feature you can not rely on the LED's.  If you have another DJI power supply, also try that too. Once the batteries are charged see what the App tells you.

keep us informed on what you find out.

I tried that. No luck. I had a go at taking the main battery board out but then stopped myself before I ripped the sockets off the board. I'm taking it to a repair shop today, and am hoping they can do it the same day. I may need to bribe them, but I need to use it tomorrow! :/

Cheers for your thoughts though Rich
2017-8-8
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

BenHinton007 Posted at 2017-8-8 23:19
I tried that. No luck. I had a go at taking the main battery board out but then stopped myself before I ripped the sockets off the board. I'm taking it to a repair shop today, and am hoping they can do it the same day. I may need to bribe them, but I need to use it tomorrow! :/

Cheers for your thoughts though Rich

Okay, please let us know what the shop finds with your Inspire.  It would be nice to know the fix for others.

Rich

2017-8-9
Use props
BenHinton007
New
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-9 07:06
Okay, please let us know what the shop finds with your Inspire.  It would be nice to know the fix for others.

Rich

So I took it to the shop this morning and they had it ready for me to pick up by the end of the day.

If all batteries are reading as 0% its the main battery board (part 36 i believe) that is at fault. A new board cost me £42 plus 2 hours labour, roughly £50ph. Luckily a fairly cheap repair!

Hope this helps anybody searching in the future!
2017-8-9
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

BenHinton007 Posted at 2017-8-9 10:51
So I took it to the shop this morning and they had it ready for me to pick up by the end of the day.

If all batteries are reading as 0% its the main battery board (part 36 i believe) that is at fault. A new board cost me £42 plus 2 hours labour, roughly £50ph. Luckily a fairly cheap repair!

So I was doing some checking to understand the part that was faulty. Part 36 is a plastic battery box for $20. but the electronics for the battery is part 8 for $99.

So can you confirm this was the part they replaced in your Inspire 1.

Rich

link to part 8
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Ben, sorry for the trouble caused, we are pleased to know everything turns out to be great.
Thanks for your sharing of your experience.
Please keep us posted if you need more assistance.
2017-8-9
Use props
Ups_Jeff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 434931 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-9 12:45
So I was doing some checking to understand the part that was faulty. Part 36 is a plastic battery box for $20. but the electronics for the battery is part 8 for $99.

So can you confirm this was the part they replaced in your Inspire 1.

Rich, do you work on your own Bird? If I ever, or I should say, when I need a repair, the closest shop to me is about 4 hours away in the Miami area "Drone Nerds."  I would probably ship it to them, and drive down for the pick up. I don't know of any shop like Drone Nerds in the Tampa area.
2017-8-13
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ups_Jeff Posted at 2017-8-13 12:35
Rich, do you work on your own Bird? If I ever, or I should say, when I need a repair, the closest shop to me is about 4 hours away in the Miami area "Drone Nerds."  I would probably ship it to them, and drive down for the pick up. I don't know of any shop like Drone Nerds in the Tampa area.

Hi Jeff

No, at this point the only work needed was to having DJI replace my defective  X3 camera on my Inspire 1 V2 and replace my new in the box X4S under warranty. DJI did so with style on both counts.
I have one new TB 47 (only 1 charge) that had a cell error caused by a low #2 cell in the battery. nothing could be done with the battery using the normal user equipment. This battery was out of warranty and I made a special wiring harness and fixed the battery this weekend (Yeah) saved $160

So, all I do is regular maintenance on my aircraft and so far everything has worked very well for me.

The DJI shop is located in SO CA which is very close to where I live and most likely will use them for most of my major repairs if it is needed.

This is the battery issue I had but now it is fixed. I will be posting a Youtube video on how to do this procedure because it would also work for TB47 & TB48 batteries that will not charge.

Rich
IMG_8829.PNG IMG_9079.jpg IMG_9075.JPG IMG_0202.PNG
2017-8-13
Use props
Ups_Jeff
lvl.3
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-13 18:40
Hi Jeff

No, at this point the only work needed was to having DJI replace my defective  X3 camera on my Inspire 1 V2 and replace my new in the box X4S under warranty. DJI did so with style on both counts.

That looks complicated, and the charger looks expensive lol.
2017-8-14
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ups_Jeff Posted at 2017-8-14 18:56
That looks complicated, and the charger looks expensive lol.

Jeff

Not to bad of a challenge for me I am pretty sure with proper guidance or instructions, this could be done by less experienced folks.  Yes, the icharger setup is expensive and it was overkill for this project.  You can do this procedure with a more simple less expensive solution. Most modelers have a LiPo battery charger around for airplanes and helicopters etc. you could use a $70 charger to complete this project

Rich
2017-8-14
Use props
The Pilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22890 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

It would be nice if you could post a link to the battery "repair" video when you have made the video?
2017-8-16
Use props
Ups_Jeff
lvl.3
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-14 19:39
Jeff

Not to bad of a challenge for me  I am pretty sure with proper guidance or instructions, this could be done by less experienced folks.  Yes, the icharger setup is expensive and it was overkill for this project.  You can do this procedure with a more simple less expensive solution. Most modelers have a LiPo battery charger around for airplanes and helicopters etc. you could use a $70 charger to complete this project

I have 3 batteries, and two of them don't show the battery cells being depleted in the go app, once the battery drops below 50%. I have the voltage show on the main screen as I fly, and that works perfect, but if you click on the battery to look at the cells, once they hit 50%, no data changes. I can't figure it out, and I am not sending it in over that. I get the information I need on the main screen. Since one battery shows the information correctly, I am thinking it has something to do with the battery, and not the bird. I need to drain the other two batteries to like 5%, and see if a reset works.
2017-8-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Pilot Posted at 2017-8-16 08:39
It would be nice if you could post a link to the battery "repair" video when you have made the video?

TP

I will send a link once it is done, There are many youtube videos on this subject and some not very helpful. I am talking with a supplier to make the wiring harness that I used to access the balance port on the top of the battery. This is the only way to condition the cells.  

I am not sure how many people are interested in this part if it is made available.

Any thoughts?
Rich
2017-8-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ups_Jeff Posted at 2017-8-16 14:51
I have 3 batteries, and two of them don't show the battery cells being depleted in the go app, once the battery drops below 50%. I have the voltage show on the main screen as I fly, and that works perfect, but if you click on the battery to look at the cells, once they hit 50%, no data changes. I can't figure it out, and I am not sending it in over that. I get the information I need on the main screen. Since one battery shows the information correctly, I am thinking it has something to do with the battery, and not the bird. I need to drain the other two batteries to like 5%, and see if a reset works.

Hey man,

Sometimes it just takes resetting the Intelligent battery board by draining and then things work normally again.

Rich

2017-8-16
Use props
Ups_Jeff
lvl.3
United States

In the app, my cells all show voltage, but as the battery drains they still show green, even though the voltage drops. Kind of weird.
2017-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules