Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FW update - or not?
1863 23 2017-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all

I've just picked up a P4 (not P4P).
It's running:
AC FW: 01.02.0602
Remote FW: 1.8.0

I have DJI Go 4.1.5 running on IOS

Is it still advised to leave it on this firmware? I've read many horror stories about the latest build.
2017-8-8
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

If you go thru the threads, you will find your answer!
2017-8-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

If you value your sanity, DON'T update!  Plenty of threads on this forum to dissuade you. Leave your connecting device in AIRPLANE mode (wifi off) to avoid the pitfalls of upgrade. If the bird you're flying is trouble free, keep it that way and don't take the risk of "Upgrading"
2017-8-8
Use props
Pareja IV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1084961 ft
Spain

Do NOT update!
2017-8-8
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

If it's workin, I wouldn't touch a thing but the "on" button.
2017-8-8
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks all, interesting - no positive comments about this FW!
I'll leave it as is.

thanks
2017-8-8
Use props
pllphoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd say no. You have the best working firmware to date.
2017-8-8
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-8-8 13:17
Thanks all, interesting - no positive comments about this FW!
I'll leave it as is.

Good decision.   you won't regret it!
2017-8-8
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Looking forward to flying the P4, shipped my P3A off to it's new owner yesterday so can't risk borking this one!
2017-8-8
Use props
ATJ
First Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-8-8 13:47
Looking forward to flying the P4, shipped my P3A off to it's new owner yesterday so can't risk borking this one!

Definitely Upgrade, if done right, it's worth it.

Make sure the Radio Control and your iPad or Android is charged.
Download the latest Version of DJI Assistant 2  v1.1.2-2
Connect your P4 via USB cable to your computer and turn on.
Start DJi Go first then, turn on your Radio Control
Start DJI Assistant and let the software do the rest.
After the upgrade recalibrate the P4 (a very nice IMU calibration is now available by the way)
2017-8-8
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As usual with these things, I imagine a great proportion of the pilots that updated now fly successfully on the new firmware with no issues at all.  Most people will be enjoying the new features and DJI will be aware of this from statistics that they get back through the app.  But, these pilots will not come on to the forums and write about everything working fine, if they did, they would first read all the arguing on the forum and complaining and then go away rather than be brought into the bickering.

You can only make your own mind up on what you should do.  DJI would advise you to update.
2017-8-8
Use props
Jeffames226
lvl.2
United States

ATJ Posted at 2017-8-8 14:52
Definitely Upgrade, if done right, it's worth it.

Make sure the Radio Control and your iPad or Android is charged.

DO NOT....I REPEAT...DO NOT listen to ATJ!!!   Not sure if he/she is just trying to mess with you or not.  You WILL BE SORRY if you go down the path of updating FW and will prob end up with all kinds of problems or worst case a paperweight.
2017-8-8
Use props
ATJ
First Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft
United States

HomePoint Posted at 2017-8-8 15:19
As usual with these things, I imagine a great proportion of the pilots that updated now fly successfully on the new firmware with no issues at all.  Most people will be enjoying the new features and DJI will be aware of this from statistics that they get back through the app.  But, these pilots will not come on to the forums and write about everything working fine, if they did, they would first read all the arguing on the forum and complaining and then go away rather than be brought into the bickering.

You can only make your own mind up on what you should do.  DJI would advise you to update.

I couldn't have put it better.

Oh by the way, I forgot to mention. When you update make sure you have WiFi and are connected to your DJi account.
2017-8-8
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
China

Just don't update...its 100:1 That you will have trouble..read the Forum. No reason to do. The toy fly right now.
2017-8-8
Use props
ufoseeker1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 397 ft
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-8-8 15:15
With page after page of update disaster stories WHY would you give someone this advice?

Seriously WHY?  What is this great benefit that, "if done right," makes it worth it?

Hi Dirty Bird,
Slightly off subject but I know you use Litchi a lot especially on your fantastic "Follow The Leader" which I really love. I want to start using Litchi too but installation instructions state:-
"First, ensure you are using the latest DJI firmwares on both your aircraft and remote controller".
That is where I have a problem in that for some time now all DJI go updates seem to have varying problems as we see from this blog and very many others and I have not updated my P4 since App 2.8.3, Aircraft 1.1.411 & RC 1.6.0 and I really do not want to.

Do you think I can still install Litchi with the above settings?.  

Your advice greatly appreciated.

Any other care to comment.
2017-8-8
Use props
LJPro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15220 ft
United States

For what it's worth I've been flying with Litchi from the middle of last year 90% of the time without any issues whatsoever. The programmable preflight missions and using the goggles alone are worth it. My version is only one later than yours. Wouldn't even consider doing an upgrade at this point in time! Happy Flying...
2017-8-8
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks for the input guys
2017-8-8
Use props
djiuser_NieABpd
New
Flight distance : 71329 ft
United States

I just received my Phantom 4 Pro yesterday and after upgrading the firmware when both the drone and remote were started I am  no longer able to connect the remote to the bird. When I try checking the firmware of the remote it shows nothing or "null". DJI support has not been able to help and told me they will send me an email in 24-48 hours so I can ship it back and have it repaired. That leaves me missing two projects next week.

Any thoughts on this issue? As of right now the drone seems fine and has a solid green light but the remote blinks red and green regardless of what I try.
2017-8-10
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_NieABpd Posted at 2017-8-10 08:51
I just received my Phantom 4 Pro yesterday and after upgrading the firmware when both the drone and remote were started I am  no longer able to connect the remote to the bird. When I try checking the firmware of the remote it shows nothing or "null". DJI support has not been able to help and told me they will send me an email in 24-48 hours so I can ship it back and have it repaired. That leaves me missing two projects next week.

Any thoughts on this issue? As of right now the drone seems fine and has a solid green light but the remote blinks red and green regardless of what I try.

You have to rebind the controller on the p4p after the update. Dont go looking to dji for help. Their employee turnover rate must be astounding because I have yet to find one or hear of one that know absolutely ANYTHING about dji products. Until a week ago they were still telling people to rollback the firmware. You havent been able to rollback firmware in months. They honestly have no clue whats going on. Its like they take people off the street and offer no training and put them straight into support. Perhaps anyone that does know anything gets promoted to upper managment cause an informed dji support tech does not exist at dji. You would be better off calling a random person and having them work it out for you. I know that sounds like im exaggerating but I assure I am not. They quite literally know nothing about the products they are supposed to be offering support for. It is a sad state of affairs. Something is seriously going off the tracks at dji. Something is seriously going wrong with that company. You will not find another company with worse management and worse service. They set the bar pretty low. Its really a sad state of affairs. They are on a downward spiral, kinda like their drones after a firmware update.
2017-8-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Check that you've updated RC as well, that is needed as well as aircraft update:-

With RC and display connected (aircraft off), and display has a good wifi connection to internet. Run DJI Go 4 and 'enter device'. Open the 'aircraft status' screen by tapping the screen at top edge where it says 'disconnected'. The top line 'Overall Status' should show if update required (this may take a few seconds to appear). If it does then tap on that and it should take you through the process to update RC. That may make the difference to your display.

If that's all done then re-link RC to aircraft. (EDIT:- This may not need to be done, but won't do any harm).

The Re-Link can be done manually (without using DJI Go):-

* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller.
* Press C1, C2, and the record button (top left button) on the controller all at same time, then the controller will beep 'D-DD'.
*Let go all fingers, then press the wheel on the right side of the controller (It's a 'click wheel', similar to a mouse wheel) and then the first light of the controller will become blue and it will constantly beep DDDD.
* Use a pen to click the linking button on the aircraft and hold for 3-5 seconds, and then take the pen off the aircraft and wait, it will link soon.
After that, you should be able to calibrate the RC more easily and should help alleviate the issue in general
2017-8-10
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

The fact that they dont know to tell you to rebind the controller just proves my point. I dont even have a p4p and I know that. I mean they should be getting one call after another with this issue for over a month now yet the person you talked to doesnt know this. How mush are they costing dji having people send in drones just to rebind the controller. I mean this is first day training knowledge. Why would you put somebody on the phone to offer support that doesnt know the most basic of support knowledge? How many people are having to pay to send their drone in for "repair" that just need the controller rebound or the firmware installed? Their customer support is no support at all. They are anti support. They want you to send it in for the most basic of issues that they should be able to help you with over the phone. It really is sad.
2017-8-10
Use props
Cinefilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118829 ft
Dominican Republic

DON'T UPDATE!!!!!!!
2017-8-10
Use props
Chook
lvl.2
Flight distance : 999708 ft
Australia

I chose not to upgrade because of reported issues and also because I'm not sure that I can unlock NFZ's in my region (Australia).  My stable versions are:
iPad Mini 4 - iOS 10.3.2
DJI GO 4 App: 4.0.8
Phantom 4 firmware: 01.02.0602
Controller version: 1.8.0
Litchi 1.16.2
AutoPilot 3.9

2017-8-10
Use props
hansoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 114199 ft

United States

You guys are awesome!!! I picked up a Phantom 4 last week for dirt cheap ($200 with 4 batteries and a club case rolling carry-on).  The deal was too good to be true so I did some digging around and found some memory cards in the case.  I went through the videos, got a screengrab of one of the only faces without sunglasses and found the owner of the drone.  Reached out to him to see if it was stolen from him.  He responded 3 days later thanking me for making the effort and said I can keep the drone - he is backpacking across Europe and doesn't want the extra baggage.  

I just tested it out and it flies beautifully.  Tried to update the firmware from 01.02.0602 and it kept failing -- then I read this thread and am grateful that it did not work!!!  Going to stick with the current firmware and airplane mode my phone that I use strictly for DJI products.

Question about the landing.  I noticed it was a little rough on the landing (bounces up and down before hitting the ground harder than I am accustomed to).  Think there may be something wrong with the bottom sensors?
2020-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules