Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to get photos and movies from controller (internal memory)
30357 28 2017-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jdesaer
New
Flight distance : 206302 ft
Belgium

I was recording movies and taking photos with Phantom 4 Pro and those are stored in the SD Card in the aircraft. After a while I've got the message that the SD Card was full, but I would be able to record on the internal memory. So far no problem. After the flight, I was able to recover all photos and movies from SD Card, but not from internal memory. They are now stored on the internal memory of the controller. I am abe to see them, even when the aircraft is switched off.I'm not able to get those photos and movies from internal memory of the controller and trnasfer them to the laptop. Not via USB cable, not via putting SD Card into the controller. I can see the photos and movies on the controller, but I can not move them to the SD Card.

Does anyone know how to retreive those photos and movies?

Knd regards,
Jan
2017-8-9
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

I only have a P3 so this may or may not be applicable to the P4, but the videos recorded to your tablet are lower quality than what is stored on the card in the AC and also subject to interference/loss of signal. I would not expect to use them for anything other than review.
However to answer your question, they should be viewable in your logs in the GO app and I imagine stored in a folder with a logical name on your tablet. I've never searched for them that way so I don't know which one.
2017-8-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Don't leave your images and videos on the SD card.  Take it out and copy to your computer - then format the card before you fly again.
2017-8-9
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Can you be more precise? Are you talking of the P4P controller, or the P4P PLUS controller with the inbuilt screen? The one for the P4P does not have an "internal memory", and the pics and low resolution videos are stored in the DJI GO 4 App in the tablet or smartphone you use with it. For iOS devices, you can't access those files through the iOS, Don't know about Android devices. For the P4P PLUS controller, are you talking about the SD card that you can put in the controller, between the micro UB slot and the HDMI slot? (Obviously not the SD from the aircreft...) If so, your media would be there, I think (I don't have that controller, so I actually don't know…) -If it does not work this way, then the media would be stored in the DJI GO 4 App in the screen itself, and I have no idea how to retrieve it, but somebody might know…
2017-8-9
Use props
jdesaer
New
Belgium

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-8-9 06:23
Can you be more precise? Are you talking of the P4P controller, or the P4P PLUS controller with the inbuilt screen? The one for the P4P does not have an "internal memory", and the pics and low resolution videos are stored in the DJI GO 4 App in the tablet or smartphone you use with it. For iOS devices, you can't access those files through the iOS, Don't know about Android devices. For the P4P PLUS controller, are you talking about the SD card that you can put in the controller, between the micro UB slot and the HDMI slot? (Obviously not the SD from the aircreft...) If so, your media would be there, I think (I don't have that controller, so I actually don't know…) -If it does not work this way, then the media would be stored in the DJI GO 4 App in the screen itself, and I have no idea how to retrieve it, but somebody might know…

Hi Antonio76,

It's indeed the P4P+ (with inbuilt screen).
At the moment of recording, there was no SD Card in the controller, only in the aircraft. Those pictures I was able to recover. But not from the internal memory of the controller. I can only see them, but not able to transfer them to my laptop via USB cable. Even when I put a SD Card in the controller now, I'm not able to put it from internal memory of the controller to the SD Card in the controller.
2017-8-9
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

jdesaer Posted at 2017-8-9 06:53
Hi Antonio76,

Ah. OK, what I suspected. I think one can not access those files other than by playing them from within the App. But -I'm not sure of this, though- you might be able to retrieve the videos by "editing" them in the editor, where it should be possible to upload  the finished product (which can be the original file, I think you don't actually need to do any editing) somewhere, either in the SD card in the controller or via  WiFi  or USB to your computer. It's worth a try... Good luck! (remember, the videos cached in the App are LOW resolution...)
2017-8-9
Use props
jdesaer
New
Belgium

Hi Antonio76,

All photos and movies from the controller are stored in the NAND FLASH.... Is there a way to access this?
2017-8-9
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

jdesaer Posted at 2017-8-9 07:03
All photos and movies from the controller are stored in the NAND FLASH.... Is there a way to access this?

I may have good news for you... Just looked in my DJI GO 4 and in the editor I have a button to save the videos to my tablet, in the lower left corner of the screen. There should be a similar possibility in your version (of course I don't know WHERE it would save them...) - Don't know what the `nand flash' is, An android directory?
IMG_0046.PNG
2017-8-9
Use props
jdesaer
New
Belgium

Thanks for your investigation!
Unfortunately, it's not possible when there was no SD Card in the controller at the time of recording. All photos and movies are lost. I had someone of the DJI support on the line. I can only upload them to SkyPixel but it's only in low resolution. I tried it, but the quality is really horrible.
I don't have a tablet as the screen is built in :-(
In the editor I only have the options to share it with Skypixel or to delete it ...
It was better instead of showing the message that SD Card of aircraft is fully but you can still record on the internal memory, to show message that SD Card of aircraft is full and not possible to record anymore. Else you think that you can transfer the recordings to your laptop, but it's not possible (only when there is a SD Card in the controller also).

Thanks Antonio for you help anyway.

Kind regards
2017-8-9
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

jdesaer Posted at 2017-8-9 07:59
Unfortunately, it's not possible when there was no SD Card in the controller at the time of recording. All photos and movies are lost. I had someone of the DJI support on the line. I can only upload them to SkyPixel but it's only in low resolution. I tried it, but the quality is really horrible.

Hi jdesaer,  sorry it didn't work !  I think that the PLUS controller -apart from the bright screen- has a huge lot of drawbacks and I really wish DJI would do something to eliminate these problems for the users who bought it, to start with the ability to upload and use third party Apps... While I am satisfied with my P4P and my iPad 5th gen, I could use a CrystalSky screen, but certainly not until it has all the capabilities of a normal tablet...
2017-8-9
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

You need to MOUNT the SD card first. Did you do that? If not then you won't be able to access them.
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Generally, the  SD Card was full, then the videos would be recorded as video and saved in the APP. For the video cache of P4P+, please refer below and export it via PC:

a. Power on the controller and connect with PC.
b. Drag the screen and a bar will show up. Tap “USB connected” at the bottom and then “TURN ON USB STORAGE” on the screen.
c. You can find the video cache from here: DJI/dji.pilot.pad/DJI_RECORD
2017-8-9
Use props
wataero
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1719619 ft
United States

Hi Antonio76,

I also have a P4P+.  You can access the cached video by connecting the controller micro USB port to the USB of a PC.  Then turn on the controller and when it has booted up, swipe down from the top of embedded display screen.  You will see option to make files available via USB.  Once you have activated USB, You will see 2 drives in File Explorer, one is the SD card and other is the controller internal storage.   Search for .mp4 files and you will see cached videos that you can drag and drop to your PC.
2017-8-10
Use props
kozlio#
lvl.4
Canada

wataero Posted at 2017-8-10 11:46
I also have a P4P+.  You can access the cached video by connecting the controller micro USB port to the USB of a PC.  Then turn on the controller and when it has booted up, swipe down from the top of embedded display screen.  You will see option to make files available via USB.  Once you have activated USB, You will see 2 drives in File Explorer, one is the SD card and other is the controller internal storage.   Search for .mp4 files and you will see cached videos that you can drag and drop to your PC.

on my crystal sky, clicking on the middle button (middle from the 5 side buttons) gives you the settings menu. from there, it will tell you when the micro-usb cable is connected to the PC usb port. you can click and enable viewing files. once given access, the file explorer on your PC will open to view the local cache files. only works with micro usb, but not with type c usb.
2018-2-11
Use props
fans14e8ef92
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2253238 ft
Netherlands

Is DJI working on an export mode for the P4P+ so you can export pano and Sphere photo's in high res to the SD card in the remote/ to the SD card in the drone.
2018-2-14
Use props
Cradoka
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2530794 ft
Australia

If you have the plus controller this link shows how to connect the USB to a computer to take it of the internal memory. If the vids are on the sd card you simply take it out hehe. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=133486
2018-2-14
Use props
johanschmidt
New
Flight distance : 6152 ft
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-9 23:24
Generally, the  SD Card was full, then the videos would be recorded as video and saved in the APP. For the video cache of P4P+, please refer below and export it via PC:

a. Power on the controller and connect with PC.

That was great instructions to get videos - thanks!
How can I get the RAW / JPEG files off the computer? - thanks in advance, Johan
2018-2-27
Use props
johanschmidt
New
Flight distance : 6152 ft
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-9 23:24

a. Power on the controller and connect with PC.

Thanks - great instructions for videos.
How can I get RAW / JPG images off the controller to the PC?

Thanks in advance
Johan
2018-2-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

johanschmidt Posted at 2018-2-27 07:01
Thanks - great instructions for videos.
How can I get RAW / JPG images off the controller to the PC?

Johan, the quality files will be saved in the SD card, you can take out the SD card and read it by the card reader. Or connect the drone with PC directly.
2018-3-2
Use props
Rick_U
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18675 ft
United States

I also have a P4P+.  You can access the cached video by connecting the controller micro USB port to the USB of a PC.  Then turn on the controller and when it has booted up, swipe down from the top of embedded display screen.  You will see option to make files available via USB.  Once you have activated USB, You will see 2 drives in File Explorer, one is the SD card and other is the controller internal storage.   Search for .mp4 files and you will see cached videos that you can drag and drop to your PC.

Wataero,

This is the answer to the question!  I wish your comment could be at the top as it is the answer to Jan's question.  I must say I find this cache of recorded video and pics quite useless and just a level of complexity not needed.

If you download your content after each flight and format the card prior to takeoff, you will be fine.  It also helps to have spare SD cards in your kit.

Thanks!
2019-3-24
Use props
Rick_U
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18675 ft
United States

I also have a P4P+.  You can access the cached video by connecting the controller micro USB port to the USB of a PC.  Then turn on the controller and when it has booted up, swipe down from the top of embedded display screen.  You will see option to make files available via USB.  Once you have activated USB, You will see 2 drives in File Explorer, one is the SD card and other is the controller internal storage.   Search for .mp4 files and you will see cached videos that you can drag and drop to your PC.

Seems there are new questions added here that have gotten away from the original question. Those should have been started in a new thread.  
2019-3-24
Use props
TGale
lvl.1
United States

jdesaer Posted at 2017-8-9 07:59
Unfortunately, it's not possible when there was no SD Card in the controller at the time of recording. All photos and movies are lost. I had someone of the DJI support on the line. I can only upload them to SkyPixel but it's only in low resolution. I tried it, but the quality is really horrible.

I had the same issues as I flew but forgot to put the sd card in my drone so it saved it directly to the internal memory. The editor function says move but it isn't activated. DJI really needs to allow you to just move the internal pics to an sd card in the controller. simple fix I think.
2019-5-9
Use props
TGale
lvl.1
United States

johanschmidt Posted at 2018-2-27 06:09
That was great instructions to get videos - thanks!
How can I get the RAW / JPEG files off the computer? - thanks in advance, Johan

why does my controller not save any pics to my sd card in the controller only to my sd card in the drone
2019-5-9
Use props
TGale
lvl.1
United States

well I found the usb connection to my computer finally but it says no photos ... this is so frustrating. I see the photos on the internal memory but can not retrieve them to the computer. going back to the screen by screen link about transferring.
2019-5-9
Use props
Areagroup
New

Latvia

Happened the same thing to me. I went to take photos of phacelia fields but did not have SD card with me. And I found a way to retrieve images from controller internal memory.
2019-7-26
Use props
Areagroup
New

Latvia

Happened the same thing to me. I went to take photos of phacelia fields but did not have SD card with me. And I found a way to retrieve images from controller internal memory.
You must turn on the data transmission in your controller(You can find it in the menu bar you pull down from top of the screen). On your mobile phone in WI-FI settings you will find a WI-FI named Phantom-0(or whatever the number). Connect to it.
You will also need DJI GO 4 application on your mobile phone.
Then through the application you open "Editor" at the bottom of the screen. Once "Editor" is opened, you click "Album" on top of the Screen. Then select "Photo". Then there is a "Tick box circle" on the top right of the screen, click that and you can choose pictures you wish to save.
Then at the top left of the screen you click "Download icon" and pictures get saved to your mobile phone.
From mobile phone you can import them in you PC.

For me the image quality was awful though.

I hope this helps.
2019-7-26
Use props
djiuser_9d2l6fMtJOE4
lvl.1

United States

Areagroup Posted at 2019-7-26 03:51
You must turn on the data transmission in your controller(You can find it in the menu bar you pull down from top of the screen). On your mobile phone in WI-FI settings you will find a WI-FI named Phantom-0(or whatever the number). Connect to it.
You will also need DJI GO 4 application on your mobile phone.

Success...  Connected the RC to my android phone.  Turned on USB storage on the RC.  Went to My Files on the phone.  The RC memory shows as USB Storage 1.  The SD card shows as USB Storage 2.  At that point I added the pictures (In the DCIM directory on the DJI devices) to DropBox, though any share target would work.

Charge up your batteries on the phone and RC...  It is not fast.
2021-11-3
Use props
djiuser_9d2l6fMtJOE4
lvl.1

United States

Success...  Connected the RC to my android phone.  Turned on USB storage on the RC.  Went to My Files on the phone.  The RC memory shows as USB Storage 1.  The SD card shows as USB Storage 2.  At that point I added the pictures (In the DCIM directory on the DJI devices) to DropBox, though any share target would work.

Charge up your batteries on the phone and RC...  It is not fast.
2021-11-3
Use props
W. Smith
New

United States

I know this is old, but I can see most Drone pilots are unable to read and comprehend. Answer is this, Turn on Controller, Plug in a USB cable to your computer to the small USB port on the controller. You will need a USB flash drive, stick that into the big slot. Now, on the screen, slide it down to see notifications, select USB and Turn on USB Data allowed. Now you will see your controller show up on the computer. Took 2 seconds to figure out hopefully you still don't need the answer since no one can read your question correctly and wasted your time.
2022-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules