Wow - shockingly hot
1901 6 2017-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StarFishUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54970 ft
United Kingdom

I decided to copy the video files from the Spark to my PC. There was quite a back log of video clips on the Spark so I thought I would copy them all off to free up space. I connected the Spark via the USB port and powered it on with a battery as normal and left it copying - it took several minutes. When it finished I watched a few of the clips before deciding to power down the Spark and put the battery on charge.

When I picked the Spark up it was so hot I almost dropped it. I powered it down quickly and took the battery out (which wasn't really hot at all) and about 20 minutes later is seems to have cooled down. But I was amazed how hot the top of the Spark had got - not through flying, but just through being powered on and connected to a PC. It also had that hot electronics and plastic smell. I don't think it's taken any damage - it all seems ok - but I wondered if this was normal. It gave me a bit of a fright.

I can't share any log files, becasue this wasn't in flight. It was just sat on my desk, in chilly Scotland, connected to my PC.

2017-8-9
Use props
HTWEELZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 141549 ft
United States

I've noticed that mine gets hot just sitting inside running when I'm upgrading the firmware it just checking things out. I'm sure part of the cooling is it actually flying helping get the air through the Spark. So if that airflow isn't there I'm sure it would get hotter than normal flight. Mine does get warm just flying also.

I usually remove the card and put it in my computer to transfer files.  
2017-8-9
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

I live on northeast of Brazil, its a very very hot place, usually 37-40c. My spark never gets hot to touch even after flying on mid-day sun  , the airflow of cooler is always strong (i can feel the flow). I think some cases of Sparks falling of sky are malfunction of cooler.
2017-8-9
Use props
Monochrome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12710 ft
Poland

It's  normal. Spark always gets very hot when it is not flying. It would shut down if it got too hot.
2017-8-9
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54970 ft
United Kingdom

Monochrome Posted at 2017-8-9 07:45
It's  normal. Spark always gets very hot when it is not flying. It would shut down if it got too hot.

That's good to hear. Thanks everyone for your comments.
2017-8-9
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

StarFishUK Posted at 2017-8-9 07:46
That's good to hear. Thanks everyone for your comments.

n flight, only the rotors and the battery (because they are discharged) are hot

The spark is never hot. Or at best tepid.
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

It is normal that when the drone is powering on the battery gets warm. You can connect it with the app and check the battery info when the battery cooling down. BTW, the flight data will generate a flight data once you power the drone on.
2017-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules