Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New 1345LS Prop Mounts Question
1716 27 2017-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cabralkev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1997861 ft
Canada

So I installed it and applied some blue threadlock. I flew 2 batteries after 12 hours of the threadlock drying. It seems I applied too much, the threadlock still hasn't completely dried as you can see in the picture. It flew stable hovering low. No vibrations in the arms. However... When I spin one motor, and hold on to the motor arm. I notice very slight vibrations in the arm. I hear the whistle sound when you spin all motor's... Even the one with slight vibrations in the arm.  So I dunno what's up with the one motor. Any ideas? A drop of threadlock may of gotten on to the bearing to that one motor. Overall, like I mentioned above, it flew fine so I'm confused with that one motor.
IMG_1502317548724.jpg
2017-8-9
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Based on your photo, you can see the thread lock that is weeping out from underneath the hub. It is possible you got some thread lock into the upper bearings...

At the very least you should take this one back apart and clean everything up with alcohol.

When applying Loctite, I put a very small amount on the tip of a toothpick. then put this into the screw hole and lightly coat the hole. anymore than this is wasted. All you need is a fine amount between the thread of the screw and the motor threads.

I have seen some videos showing how to change the bearings in the Inspire 1 motors, but I am not sure if you want to get into this much teardown.

I know it is a little late, but this is the installation video for the new 1345LS mounts

Sorry you are having some trouble and maybe you have learned something for the next time?

Rich
2017-8-9
Use props
Cabralkev
Second Officer
Canada

Hey Rich, thanks for the quick reply. It seems all 4 motor prop mounts had some threadlock leaking out. I might just leave it for 24 hours and see if it dries fully. I assume I applied too much and now it's leaking out under the mount. Also having the motor spin and such high rpms for sure got rid of the excess threadlock lol. How can I tell if that one motor has gone bad? It's strange... I turn on the motor's... All motor's start up the same time and stop at the same time. When I spin the motor with the slight vibrations in the arm... I don't hear any knocking sounds or grinding from the motor. Just a whistle sound. Which the 3 other motor's do the same thing. Hmmm.... How much would it cost to get a new bearing installed if I gotta do that down the road.
2017-8-9
Use props
Cabralkev
Second Officer
Canada

How can I tell if the motor bearing is on its way out? Thanks again
2017-8-9
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

2017-8-9
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-8-9 17:13
How can I tell if the motor bearing is on its way out? Thanks again

That is a hard one to answer. Is the motor feel rough or gravelly when you turn the motor  by hand?  I posted one of the videos regarding bearings
You might be able to clean out the bearing and oil it again?  I have never done this but some on the other guys could chime in and help out...

Rich
2017-8-9
Use props
Cabralkev
Second Officer
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-9 17:16
That is a hard one to answer. Is the motor feel rough or gravelly when you turn the motor  by hand?  I posted one of the videos regarding bearings
You might be able to clean out the bearing and oil it again?  I have never done this but some on the other guys could chime in and help out...

I'd be scared to tear it apart lol. I'd rather have a shop do it for me When I turn the motor slowly by hand... I feel the magnets grabbing. Which I assume is a good thing. All the 4 motor's have. I don't hear no grinding or scratching sound as if sand was in it. Just vibrations in the arms to that one motor. When I spin it fast, I hear a whistle sound. Same goes with the other 3 motors
2017-8-9
Use props
Cabralkev
Second Officer
Canada

I'll post a video shortly Rich
2017-8-9
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-8-9 17:03
Hey Rich, thanks for the quick reply. It seems all 4 motor prop mounts had some threadlock leaking out. I might just leave it for 24 hours and see if it dries fully. I assume I applied too much and now it's leaking out under the mount. Also having the motor spin and such high rpms for sure got rid of the excess threadlock lol. How can I tell if that one motor has gone bad? It's strange... I turn on the motor's... All motor's start up the same time and stop at the same time. When I spin the motor with the slight vibrations in the arm... I don't hear any knocking sounds or grinding from the motor. Just a whistle sound. Which the 3 other motor's do the same thing. Hmmm.... How much would it cost to get a new bearing installed if I gotta do that down the road.

You might be okay, the whistle sound is pretty normal. Loctite does not need to dry it will cure only on the threads. So what you are seeing is the extra material weeping out of the hub assemblies.  

I hope one of the other guys in our forum has some experience with the bearing question. I really have not done this to any of my drones. I have replaced bearings on other models and with the right tools, it's not to hard

Rich
2017-8-9
Use props
Cabralkev
Second Officer
Canada

Here is the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rb129d ... 809_231032.mp4?dl=0
2017-8-9
Use props
Cabralkev
Second Officer
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-9 19:30
You might be okay, the whistle sound is pretty normal. Loctite does not need to dry it will cure only on the threads. So what you are seeing is the extra material weeping out of the hub assemblies.  

I hope one of the other guys in our forum has some experience with the bearing question. I really have not done this to any of my drones. I have replaced bearings on other models and with the right tools, it's not to hard

I hope it's okay. In the video you can hear the whistle sound even on the motor that is acting strange. I don't feel any grit or sandy feeling when turning the motor slowly or even quick. If you put your ear to the motor and turn it fast... there is a very very slight knock sound. Not sure what that's about. If you don't put your ear to the motor and spin it fast, you won't hear that very subtle knocking sound. Only the whistling sound you'd hear which I believe is a good sign. All this stuff is new to me so I'm not sure what is fine and what is not fine. Thank you for your input though
2017-8-9
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-8-9 19:49
I hope it's okay. In the video you can hear the whistle sound even on the motor that is acting strange. I don't feel any grit or sandy feeling when turning the motor slowly or even quick. If you put your ear to the motor and turn it fast... there is a very very slight knock sound. Not sure what that's about. If you don't put your ear to the motor and spin it fast, you won't hear that very subtle knocking sound. Only the whistling sound you'd hear which I believe is a good sign. All this stuff is new to me so I'm not sure what is fine and what is not fine. Thank you for your input though

Hi Cab
I watched your video and IMO it looks and sounds normal to me. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just keep a eye on the motor that is rougher feeling for awhile.

The bearings used on the Inspire 1 motors are shielded and it would be hard for Loctite residue to get inside the bearing. However excess Loctite could find a way into a bearing but with the oil / grease would prevent it from sticking.

I don't think you have a problem  (hope I helped)

Rich
2017-8-9
Use props
Cabralkev
Second Officer
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-9 19:55
Hi Cab
I watched your video and IMO it looks and sounds normal to me. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just keep a eye on the motor that is rougher feeling for awhile.

Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to watch the video and helping me out. It's greatly appreciated!

I'll keep an eye out on the motor. The inspire flew fine earlier today as if there wasn't any issues. I even used a air can, those ones you get from a computer shop to blow whatever was inside the motor in hopes to clear any threadlock residue. It blew out the old threadlock residue, that's for sure
2017-8-9
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-8-9 20:07
Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to watch the video and helping me out. It's greatly appreciated!

I'll keep an eye out on the motor. The inspire flew fine earlier today as if there wasn't any issues. I even used a air can, those ones you get from a computer shop to blow whatever was inside the motor in hopes to clear any threadlock residue. It blew out the old threadlock residue, that's for sure

No problem, I understand when you have questions .... needing others to provide some feedback.
You might get some of the others to comment tomorrow too.
Glad you are all set to go flying

Rich
2017-8-9
Use props
Cabralkev
Second Officer
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-9 20:19
No problem, I understand when you have questions .... needing others to provide some feedback.
You might get some of the others to comment tomorrow too.
Glad you are all set to go flying

Everyday I learn something and I'm thankful for all of you helping me out.

I spoke to DJI about it, and they gave me the typical response... "It's a hardware issue, please send it in to our service center." Not going to bother with that lol. I'd rather go to a local shop and have it done within a day lol. DJI will have me waiting for a few weeks if there is an issue with the bearing.
2017-8-9
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-8-9 20:19
Everyday I learn something and I'm thankful for all of you helping me out.

I spoke to DJI about it, and they gave me the typical response... "It's a hardware issue, please send it in to our service center." Not going to bother with that lol. I'd rather go to a local shop and have it done within a day lol. DJI will have me waiting for a few weeks if there is an issue with the bearing.

DJI does not want to take any risk, because they cannot see your drone. Yes, it is always better to send it into the experts when you have major problems to get it fixed correctly. So I get where they are coming from and respect that view. Not everyone agrees with send it to the shop for minor repairs.

Keep us posted
Rich

2017-8-9
Use props
Cabralkev
Second Officer
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-9 21:20
DJI does not want to take any risk, because they cannot see your drone. Yes, it is always better to send it into the experts when you have major problems to get it fixed correctly. So I get where they are coming from and respect that view. Not everyone agrees with send it to the shop for minor repairs.

Keep us posted

I'll keep you posted if the motor acts up and I need to send it in. *Crosses fingers* I won't need to send it in.

Thanks again
2017-8-9
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-8-9 23:04
I'll keep you posted if the motor acts up and I need to send it in. *Crosses fingers* I won't need to send it in.

Thanks again

Hi Kev,

Part of your post flight check list should include checking the motors IMMEDIATELY after you shut them down, one motor getting hotter than the rest will be a sign that you have an issue. Two motors on the same side could be due to how the AC has been handling the wind. If one motor frequently gets hotter than the rest, it could be on the way out.

Mark G.
2017-8-10
Use props
Henry M.Y.
First Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-8-9 19:30
Here is the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rb129de9x8hjz8d/20170809_231032.mp4?dl=0

It appears absolutely normal to me.

Like Mark suggested, monitoring the motor temperature by comparing it with the others immediately after the post-flight shutting down can help you ascertaining whether the motor is functioning normally.

Henry
2017-8-10
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Just don't get Loctite that's not approved for plastic onto plastic.  It cracks plastic over time.

Motorcycle windshields had issues with that matter decades ago, and most learned the hard way.  Mine snapped in half from the wind and I found out from the shield maker himself I made an error and used the generic blue stuff.  It had crazed the area around the mounting hole and small cracks formed from there and led to the bigger one.

There is a Loctite made for plastic and metal parts, but it is expensive stuff (Loctite #425) here: Loctite 425 for plastic and metal.

2017-8-10
Use props
Cabralkev
Second Officer
Canada

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-8-10 00:40
Hi Kev,

Part of your post flight check list should include checking the motors IMMEDIATELY after you shut them down, one motor getting hotter than the rest will be a sign that you have an issue. Two motors on the same side could be due to how the AC has been handling the wind. If one motor frequently gets hotter than the rest, it could be on the way out.

Hey Mark,

After I did kill the motor's, that's the first thing I did was touch each motor. Each motor felt the same. It was slightly warm. Was nothing serious that would give me an indicator something is wrong. I assume if that motor had an issue, wouldn't the motor get real hot?

Thanks again Mark
2017-8-10
Use props
Cabralkev
Second Officer
Canada

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-8-10 08:26
Just don't get Loctite that's not approved for plastic onto plastic.  It cracks plastic over time.

Motorcycle windshields had issues with that matter decades ago, and most learned the hard way.  Mine snapped in half from the wind and I found out from the shield maker himself I made an error and used the generic blue stuff.  It had crazed the area around the mounting hole and small cracks formed from there and led to the bigger one.

I used the blue threadlock. Not sure if it's a problem or not, used it before and had no issues. I heard it doesn't do good on plastic. DJI even recommends blue threadlock (Medium) strength to be applied to the threads before installing the prop quick release mounts. So I assume it's safe to use. My issue is I applied too much. So when I ran the Inspire the excess found it's way out lol. It's been sitting for 24 hours. I hope it's dried by now.
2017-8-10
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-8-10 11:39
I used the blue threadlock. Not sure if it's a problem or not, used it before and had no issues. I heard it doesn't do good on plastic. DJI even recommends blue threadlock (Medium) strength to be applied to the threads before installing the prop quick release mounts. So I assume it's safe to use. My issue is I applied too much. So when I ran the Inspire the excess found it's way out lol. It's been sitting for 24 hours. I hope it's dried by now.

Hopefully not the Loctite Blue #242.  See the "Not Recommended For" part near the bottom of the Loctite website link with regards to plastics and thermoplastics.

Loctite Blue #242 Not recommended for plastics.

What DJI recommends is often in error, like software and firmware (ahem!).  I've often wondered about all these stress cracks around mounting holes in the Phantom series with the blue stuff on the motor screws.  Could be they are not using the expensive "Safe for Plastics" Loctite and using the cheap stuff that leads to plastic crazing and cracking over time.

Good luck anyhoo.
2017-8-10
Use props
Cabralkev
Second Officer
Canada

Well let's see what happens. I just removed all the prop mounts and did a clean up. This time I put very very little on the screws and wiped the threadlock off the threads with my finger. So this time, it's very little on. Screwed them all back in. After I was done everything, I checked 2 screws and tighten it down a bit more. Those 2 screws has been sitting for 30 minutes. Blue threadlock doesn't dry in 30 minutes right? I know it cures fully in 24 hours.
2017-8-10
Use props
Cabralkev
Second Officer
Canada

Ran 2 batteries earlier today again. Paid very close attention to that 1 motor (Back Left) while hovering low. Did not see any vibrations to the arm the motor sits on. Very strange. Even after each flight, I touched all motors. It was rather cool. All same temp. I'll keep an eye out on that 1 motor anyways, just to be safe. It flies perfectly fine though. Btw, I love the new prop mounts though
2017-8-11
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2017-8-11 20:56
Ran 2 batteries earlier today again. Paid very close attention to that 1 motor (Back Left) while hovering low. Did not see any vibrations to the arm the motor sits on. Very strange. Even after each flight, I touched all motors. It was rather cool. All same temp. I'll keep an eye out on that 1 motor anyways, just to be safe. It flies perfectly fine though. Btw, I love the new prop mounts though

Sounds like you are good to go!

Nice work and happy flights
Rich
2017-8-12
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-8-10 07:33
It appears absolutely normal to me.

Like Mark suggested, monitoring the motor temperature by comparing it with the others immediately after the post-flight shutting down can help you ascertaining whether the motor is functioning normally.

Henry, pls see this thread:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D216%26typeid%3D216

PM me if you're interested.

Matthew.
2018-8-31
Use props
Henry M.Y.
First Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-8-31 09:44
Henry, pls see this thread:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=164390&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D216%26typeid%3D216

Hi Matthew,

Nice works! I have been following your referred thread of posts since you posted it up on 30 Aug. You nailed it on the head - the 0.006" stainless steel shim will exactly cure the famous "Red-Prop Issue".

Your shimming method and material are much better and far more durable than what I suggested in 2017:-

The vinyl tape shims

I was done by subsequent replacements of the vinyl tape shims, and had later opted for having cyanoacrylate on the base of red props as shims - it worked great and I never had any "Red-Prop Issue" with me since then.

Thank you for inviting me for your brilliant stainless steel shim nevertheless.

Henry
2018-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules