flying near other Phantom pilots
2323 37 2015-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kneegrinder2002
lvl.1

United States

Hello everyone, I will be a new pilot of a phantom 2 V.2 H4-3D today. and i have a question about one thing.i have done a substantial amount of research for the preparation of my drone as it should arrive today.
but i need to know;
Whats the rules about flying near other pilots?
is there an interferance issue i need to know about?
what if i see from my FPV another quadcopter in my airspace?

any suggestions & advicce would be appreciated.
2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

1, Don't crash into them
2. There is no interference between machines.
3.  The only airspace you own is the space your machine occupies.
2015-3-27
Use props
kneegrinder2002
lvl.1

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-27 20:36
1, Don't crash into them
3.  The only airspace you own ...

Thank you Gerry. appreciate your advice. see you in the skies.
2015-3-27
Use props
Swerve
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-27 20:36
1, Don't crash into them
3.  The only airspace you own ...

I think you've been infected with the gerryomg virus. It's the one where you won't get a straight answer as it treats everything as a joke.
2015-3-27
Use props
Tweety P2V2H33D
lvl.4

Australia

Not sure where you live but in Australia the Law is not within 30m of another person.

Regards

Guy
2015-3-27
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

We RC airplane guys each have a spotter if several airplanes are in the air at the same time.
2015-3-27
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

Tweety P2V2H33D Posted at 2015-3-27 21:30
Not sure where you live but in Australia the Law is not within 30m of another person.

Regards

Seriously?!  That's 100 feet!  So it has to be you... all alone... with your copter.  I'm sorry to doubt you, but are you sure about that law?  If I couldn't go fly with my family and friends right next to me I wouldn't even bother.  Or... what... You're supposed to set it down on the ground, run a hundred feet away, and then take off?  And then land it at least 100 feet away and run over and grab it?  That's ridiculous. (Not you, the law.)
2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-3-27 22:22
Seriously?!  That's 100 feet!  So it has to be you... all alone... with your copter.  I'm sorry to ...

Another persons airplane.
2015-3-27
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-27 22:24
Another persons airplane.

Again, I go flying with friends and family all the time.  In my house we've 4 quadcopters.  If my brother comes out with us that's a total of 5 quads and 1 heli.  We're always within 100' of each other.  If we couldn't have our relay races that'd sure cut down on the fun.  Ridiculous law, indeed.
2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-3-27 23:10
Again, I go flying with friends and family all the time.  In my house we've 4 quadcopters.  If my  ...

The law also says not to fly out of eyesight or more than 400 feet either.  I'm sure you have not violated them either or flying over people.
2015-3-27
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-27 23:12
The law also says not to fly out of eyesight or more than 400 feet either.  I'm sure you have not  ...

Doesn't really matter to me.  I'm not in Australia.  Just my opinion on their law.
2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-3-27 23:13
Doesn't really matter to me.  I'm not in Australia.  Just my opinion on their law.

That law is here in the US also.
2015-3-27
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

What Law are you people talking about?? There are no Law. just guilines to follow... At least for now tho...
2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

ronnydsosa@gmai Posted at 2015-3-27 23:22
What Law are you people talking about?? There are no Law. just guilines to follow... At least for no ...

Guideline recommendations,  they can still prosecute.
2015-3-27
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-27 23:18
That law is here in the US also.

There is no such law.
2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-3-27 23:50
There is no such law.

This has been hashed over at least a dozen times so far in other threads.  They can still fine you if you violate the recommendations and they catch you.  Ask the guy flying over the people at the college.  All I'm going to say on this fluffy.
2015-3-27
Use props
Swerve
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-3-27 23:50
There is no such law.

I think the 30m guideline (50m in the UK) refers to people not under your control. Of course you can fly it with family and friends but they have to be aware of what you are doing which I am sure they would be. That's how it works here in the UK.
2015-3-27
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-27 23:54
This has been hashed over at least a dozen times so far in other threads.  They can still fine you ...

It's been hashed over so many times and you still don't seem to quite get it.  There is no law.  Saying there is can confuse people who don't know better.
By "they" I'm guessing you're talking about the FAA.
And by recommendations I'm guessing you're talking about this.
But I see nowhere in there where it says not to fly less than 100' from other people (or their aircraft).

We're all after the same thing here...  Facts.
2015-3-27
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

Swerve Posted at 2015-3-27 23:59
I think the 30m guideline (50m in the UK) refers to people not under your control. Of course you c ...

So, and I'm only asking to try and apply this to the real world...  Not looking to debate you on the issue or anything.  As has happened many times as we've flown, passersby are often excited and curious to see us flying so they come over and talk to us.  Am I to yell "No!  Stay away from me!"  I mean, I can't use RTH at that point or else I'd be breaking the law.  And if I land it elsewhere I may not be able to see it very clearly and risk damaging it.  So what are my choices, really?  It really seems unrealistic to even try to follow such a guideline.  It seems an awfully silly guideline.
2015-3-27
Use props
Swerve
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-3-28 00:40
So, and I'm only asking to try and apply this to the real world...  Not looking to debate you on t ...

I know what you mean. I think human instinct would be for you to make them aware, somehow, of the fact you are flying your aircraft in their vicinity. Maybe not by doing a low pass over their heads though .
2015-3-27
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

Swerve Posted at 2015-3-28 00:48
I know what you mean. I think human instinct would be for you to make them aware, somehow, of the f ...

I guess I'm also imagining in the places where I tend to fly.  Picture a big rectangular field.  I'm on the side where the cars park.  But I fly, basically, in the center of the field.  So anybody coming up to me is also coming from the parking area.  It's not like people really come from all angles where I fly.  So I guess in other situations, like a neighborhood, or populated area or something, those guidelines could possibly make more sense.  For me, I don't need the distraction of a lot of people around.  Somehow we're always really lucky and it's just us.  So we usually pretty much have the entire field to ourselves.
2015-3-27
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i agree friffy.  i think of this as less of an absolute and more of a rule in place to account for clearly bad behavior just to have something to point to in that instance.  for example, if you were to go into a parking lot and take off and notice, hey, check out over there 1000ft away, there is a group of kids playing soccer.  i have an idea, ill fly over there and hover around there soccer game.  what great footage ill get.  sounds fun.  what if they dont like that, what if it risks injury to people, what if just the sound of the blades detracts away from their experiences.  for jackholes that dont care about those things, rules like this give someone recourse.  for others like you or me, who are very VERY respectful when we fly, the rule is sort of unnecessary.  at least that is how i view it.

unfortunately there is the other side, i can be respectful and not really bothersome and someone who just loves to hate drones could try and point out HEY THAT DUDE IS CLOSER THAN 30m TO ME just to be a jackhole too.  so it cuts both ways.  unfortunate but true.  

i think ill keep doing what i do and not worry too much about this because the people that come up to me and ask politely what im doing and are truly interested in my phantom are very likely not going to call the police on my 30m violation while we talk.  LOL
2015-3-27
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-28 01:15
i agree friffy.  i think of this as less of an absolute and more of a rule in place to account for c ...

First of all...  "Jackhole."  LOL!
Second of all, fact is though...  Rules are only there for people who are already normal, careful people.  Which is silly since they don't need the rules.  Jackholes will always be jackholes, regardless of the rules.
2015-3-27
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Seems to be confusion on the term law.
Law can not only be set  in the constitution but also the principles and regulations established in a community by some authority and applicable to its people, whether in the form of legislation or of custom and policies recognized and enforced by judicial decision. In summary a code of practice can be recognised as law. A court can draw on this code of practice even if not in the constitution.  Example: Highway code is a code of practice, but not in the constitution, but it's still against the law to speed.
2015-3-27
Use props
MAD In NC
lvl.2

United States

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-3-28 02:27
First of all...  "Jackhole."  LOL!
Second of all, fact is though...  Rules are only there for peop ...

why is it there are more jackholes than jacks?  

2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2015-3-28 03:03
Law can not only be set  in the constitution but also the pri ...

Well said Tony!
2015-3-27
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

When we fly RC airplanes everyone is in front of you. If you had several Phantom pilots close together flying close in, you could have problems with one coming up behind you.
2015-3-27
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2015-3-28 03:03
Law can not only be set  in the constitution but also the pri ...

Not quite true.  When you get a driver's license, you specifically agree to obey those rules or accept the penalties for not doing so.  That is your CHOICE to be bound to those rules.  Otherwise, under the Writ Of A Free Man, you do not NEED a Driver's License to drive a car on public roadways and you do not NEED to obey those rules.  And, under the LAW, you cannot be punished for breaking them.  (However, in reality you'll definitely get harassed for it.  But nothing will actually come of it.)
2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-3-28 04:37
Not quite true.  When you get a driver's license, you specifically agree to obey those rules or ac ...

Here is another example:  Public intoxication laws.  You can be arrested, put in jail and fined, yet you didn't agree with any of that to drink.  That is not in the Constitution.
2015-3-27
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-28 04:44
Here is another example:  Public intoxication laws.  You can be arrested, put in jail and fined, y ...

There's no federal law.  However most localities DO have LAWS against public drunkenness.  I'm not even sure what your point is with that one.  You clearly state that it's a LAW.
2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-3-28 05:05
There's no federal law.  However most localities DO have LAWS against public drunkenness.  I'm not ...

If the FAA cannot make regulations, then go ahead and fly into a controlled airspace.  See how far you get.
2015-3-27
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

MAD In NC Posted at 2015-3-28 03:06
why is it there are more jackholes than jacks?

this is a fantastic question.  one which I will ponder a great deal on.  thanks for sharing.
2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-28 05:12
this is a fantastic question.  one which I will ponder a great deal on.  thanks for sharing.

I don't think you will lose much sleep over it.  Most are either jealous, envious of others, want to be made part of the team, trying to impress others or something else.  I know I won't lose any sleep over the jackholes.
BTW, since you're all healed up, did you have any residual effects of the props?  All back to normal now?
2015-3-27
Use props
Tweety P2V2H33D
lvl.4

Australia

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-3-27 22:22
Seriously?!  That's 100 feet!  So it has to be you... all alone... with your copter.  I'm sorry to ...

Especially for you Mrs Doubtfire

CASA Rules

CASA Rules
2015-3-27
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-28 05:33
I don't think you will lose much sleep over it.  Most are either jealous, envious of others, want  ...

all back to normal, thanks.  going to the beach this weekend for my first ever over the ocean flight.  cant wait.
2015-3-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-28 05:53
all back to normal, thanks.  going to the beach this weekend for my first ever over the ocean flig ...

Great, that's good to hear, if  I went to the beach this weekend, I would have to share the hole in the ice with Guy's penguin.   Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2015-3-27
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

I believe we all need to consider common sense. We just need to remember... we are responsible for our Quad and any damage it does to private property, people or animals. In addition their are flight restriction that you can be arrested and taken to court for. I.E if you fly high into commercial airspace. As a fact a drone can take out a jet engine the same as a large bird can. I don't think you would want that bill or arrest on your record. Common sense is necessary when flying. Think before you act. Enjoy your flight !
2015-3-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gentlemen I am closing this thread.  The personal animas has gotten out of hand the the OP's question has been answered.
2015-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules