Paddleboarding the Art Coast of Lake Michigan with Spark
719 7 2017-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rick bernotas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 194944 ft
United States

We took the Spark paddleboarding along the Art Coast of Lake Michigan.  Used ActiveTrack a lot, and it worked extremely well.  It's such a great way to capture memories from a whole new perspective.

2017-8-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It looks like great! You must have a great time. Thanks for sharing!
2017-8-11
Use props
rick bernotas
lvl.3
United States

Here's another one, this is of kayaking in the lake.  I love ActiveTrack circle...

2017-8-13
Use props
ix3lplix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 145846 ft
United States

rick bernotas Posted at 2017-8-13 14:53
Here's another one, this is of kayaking in the lake.  I love ActiveTrack circle...

https://youtu.be/7f7m9a7ptns

Awesome footage. How are you doing the active track circle? That's not the circle quickshot is it? Is it set to active track on you while someone is manually circling around you with the controls?
2017-8-13
Use props
rick bernotas
lvl.3
United States

ix3lplix Posted at 2017-8-13 17:05
Awesome footage. How are you doing the active track circle? That's not the circle quickshot is it? Is it set to active track on you while someone is manually circling around you with the controls?

No, it's not the circle quickshot, I find myself not really using quickshots too much (well I use rocket sometimes), I really prefer to just use activetrack continuously and adjust it to my liking with the RC controls.

In the kayak, I am holding the RC controller (you may see it sitting in my lap), and set the activetrack on myself.  Before I set activetrack I usually set the altitude and distance from myself.  Then after setting activetrack I use the slider on the display to adjust the speed of the circle in activetrack.  Activetrack circle is available in ActiveTrack trace mode.  It's by far my favorite mode.  You can set the speed of the drone in the circle very easily, as well as the direction of the circle (clockwise or counterclockwise).  Even after you set the circle going, you can still adjust the altitude with the RC, which is pretty cool.

For the paddleboard, that isn't me on the board, I don't think I would risk taking the RC and phone out on the paddleboard :-) , even out on the kayak in the waves it is pretty risky to get it immersed in water--my Galaxy S8+ has high water resistance but the RC doesn't (I'm guessing, lol).  The paddleboard shots I was piloting from the shore, and using Activetrack trace circle.

I have actually thought to mount my phone to the deck of my kayak with a RAM mount and just use it separately from the RC, and so it is heads up display.  I probably could have used just the phone for these shots but I like using the RC controls so much more.  If someone makes some kind of Otterbox for the RC where you can still use the controls in a marine environment, and it doesn't cripple the Wifi signal too badly, that would be super ideal...
2017-8-13
Use props
ix3lplix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 145846 ft
United States

rick bernotas Posted at 2017-8-13 17:50
No, it's not the circle quickshot, I find myself not really using quickshots too much (well I use rocket sometimes), I really prefer to just use activetrack continuously and adjust it to my liking with the RC controls.

In the kayak, I am holding the RC controller (you may see it sitting in my lap), and set the activetrack on myself.  Before I set activetrack I usually set the altitude and distance from myself.  Then after setting activetrack I use the slider on the display to adjust the speed of the circle in activetrack.  Activetrack circle is available in ActiveTrack trace mode.  It's by far my favorite mode.  You can set the speed of the drone in the circle very easily, as well as the direction of the circle (clockwise or counterclockwise).  Even after you set the circle going, you can still adjust the altitude with the RC, which is pretty cool.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I completely glanced over that feature in the manual. I'll have to try that next time I'm out.
2017-8-13
Use props
rick bernotas
lvl.3
United States

ix3lplix Posted at 2017-8-13 18:06
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I completely glanced over that feature in the manual. I'll have to try that next time I'm out.

You will love it, one thing to keep in mind that ActiveTrack circle is best used out in wide open areas; since the Spark is moving to the side around the circle and keeping focus on the subject in the middle, it can't see things behind or to the side of it with the obstacle avoidance.  It's especially important to keep in mind if your subject is moving and circle continues to track around the moving subject.
2017-8-13
Use props
CharlieZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Cool, Thanks for sharing!
2019-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules