Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
2017 Solar Eclipse
2518 10 2017-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
msoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460522 ft
United States

I am in line for the total solar eclipse on August 21st and was thinking of capturing a time lapse with my Osmo X3. Am I risking damage to the sensor or camera if I attempt the time lapse? I have a ND8 filter and was planning on using it. Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Mike

2017-8-12
Use props
ManualFocus
New
Flight distance : 1552 ft

United States

I was planning on this too, was about to ask the same question. I don't have a filter for the OSMO though. Would it still be ok?
2017-8-13
Use props
msoto
lvl.4
United States

ManualFocus Posted at 2017-8-13 10:31
I was planning on this too, was about to ask the same question. I don't have a filter for the OSMO though. Would it still be ok?

I am hoping someone from DJI or someone with some knowledge could answer my question.  
2017-8-13
Use props
geoffz
First Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

msoto Posted at 2017-8-13 14:30
I am hoping someone from DJI or someone with some knowledge could answer my question.

you need dedicated ND filters for the task...do some research.
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are verifying with our R&D engineers, I will come back to you once I hear from them, thanks for your patience.
2017-8-13
Use props
msoto
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-13 23:00
We are verifying with our R&D engineers, I will come back to you once I hear from them, thanks for your patience.

Thanks Mindy. Hope you hear back from them before the 21st.
2017-8-14
Use props
warebear
New
United States

I have a friend who burned out a camera from doing some solar flare viewing...so I take his precaution.  I'm planning on using at least a UV lens to film it, and possibly even some solar film just in case so I don't burn out the sensor since I am going to try and film the entire thing with my Osmo.  I'll be using the plugin battery replacement, and a 128GB SD (that I normally use) and try and catch as much of it as I can.  I know I will have a bunch of 4GB files to patch together, but I'm hoping for some amazing footage in 4k  

I would say as a precaution to use more than just your casual filter on this, just because you are pointing it directly at the sun....with a focal lens...and don't want to melt/burn out your camera.
2017-8-14
Use props
ManualFocus
New
Flight distance : 1552 ft

United States

Good point, I guess I have some shopping to do. Any suggestions for filters to use?
2017-8-14
Use props
Upthedowns
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288353 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ManualFocus Posted at 2017-8-14 12:05
Good point, I guess I have some shopping to do. Any suggestions for filters to use?

Get onto an astronomy retailer.  They will sell a sheet of film that can be cut to fit.  You will want at least a 45mm lens otherwise the sun is going to look tiny.
2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

The ND filter must be used to protect the lens if you insist to shoot Solar Eclipse, but please be cautious, it is still very dangerous.
2017-8-15
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-15 00:41
The ND filter must be used to protect the lens if you insist to shoot Solar Eclipse, but please be cautious, it is still very dangerous.

I am going to film it using my Nikon B700 with 60x zoom, I will be using a ND 2-400 variabable filter, photography / videography  today sites a minimum of ND 300
2017-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules