Birds attacking mavic pro!
3631 22 2017-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Berserk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275814 ft
Norway

When i was flying, suddenly a pack of birds appeared out of nothing! They apparantly saw the drone as a threat, and started to attack.
They flew so close that the sensors on my mavic thought i was crashing, and everything shut down! I couldn't move anything, but after a while, finally the "return to home" button worked and it came back!
2017-8-12
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Birds can be scary, especially colonial birds during the nesting season. Best advice people gave before is to ascend as fast/high as you can.
My only encounter so far was a few swallows circling my Mavic, but not attacking. They seemed to be more curious than aggressive.
2017-8-12
Use props
Roy.
First Officer
Flight distance : 5435299 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oystercatchers, they probably had eggs/chicks nearby, I had a similar experience with my P4 recently.  I also had to change my jogging route due to oystercatchers swooping and dive bombing me, but now that the chicks are bigger the birds are more relaxed.
2017-8-12
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

as Roy and bumbler say - they probably were nesting or had chicks - otherwise birds seem mostly curious.
I think i have also noticed a bit of terratorial issues with some local seagulls.
When birds start coming for me/mavic then i like to get away from there just in case it clips my mavic and causes harm to itself and my mavic - a potential death sentence for both.
2017-8-12
Use props
RobDownUnder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103609 ft
Australia

I fly my MP over the farmland behind our home and have had Australian noisy minors  chase the drone, but after several flights, they have got use to it and ignore. Yours is a good video having captured the birds . In the summer months we have a colony of pelicans on the farm dam/stream. Hoping they tolerate the MP when they soar on the thermals. Then maybe I'll get some footage worth uploading.
2017-8-12
Use props
jsmith5253
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56841 ft
United States

wow this is terrible hope your drone is ok
2017-8-12
Use props
PROMOLOZO
lvl.1
United States

Happened to me yesterday! First 2 humming birds, then a bunch of crows!

As if that was bad enough, i decided to give it a break, went back out a few hours later, a gigantic 3" monter beetle was trying to land in my frkn head! I freaked out, thing was persistent and agressive. I totally forgot about my MP. I eventually watted the shyt out of it and brought the mavic back down. Cursed yesterday!
2017-8-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Is the drone alright? It might be the sensor worked and you could not control the drone, we recommend flying the drone with caution and choosing a more simple place to fly the drone.
2017-8-12
Use props
Berserk
Second Officer
Norway

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-12 19:33
Is the drone alright? It might be the sensor worked and you could not control the drone, we recommend flying the drone with caution and choosing a more simple place to fly the drone.

The drone is alrigt! It was the sensors, luckely  none of the birds came in contack with the drone,  so no harm to the drone or the birds.  
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Berserk Posted at 2017-8-13 00:13
The drone is alrigt! It was the sensors, luckely  none of the birds came in contack with the drone,  so no harm to the drone or the birds.

That's lucky! Thanks for the feedback, also hope you have a nice time with the drone.
2017-8-13
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Roy. Posted at 2017-8-12 11:53
Oystercatchers, they probably had eggs/chicks nearby, I had a similar experience with my P4 recently.  I also had to change my jogging route due to oystercatchers swooping and dive bombing me, but now that the chicks are bigger the birds are more relaxed.

Yes I've had the same with here even though the 'chick' was fully grown and flying with them.
Not content with intimidation when it was close by they pursued back to landing point 500m away
On the plus side they seem quite skillful and probably won't actually hit you
2017-8-13
Use props
Chrasher
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1145472 ft
Netherlands

Encountered the same bird attacks a time ago. Protecting their breeding grounds I think. Quickly switched to sports mode and hiked it.  
Made a slow-mo from the encounter:.

2017-8-14
Use props
Berserk
Second Officer
Norway

Chrasher Posted at 2017-8-14 10:44
Encountered the same bird attacks a time ago. Protecting their breeding grounds I think. Quickly switched to sports mode and hiked it.  

Nice vid! Almost same as mine;)
2017-8-15
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

Had the same issue with my inspire getting chased by Seagulls. I put a yellow vinyl skin over the white and no more angry birds.
2017-8-15
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

They don't like the MP a lot
2017-10-21
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

One good tip I saw on a different post:  Birds don't fly straight up very well.  Quads do.  So, that's your best escape if threatened.
2017-10-21
Use props
fansbfade136
lvl.1
Flight distance : 465810 ft
United States

https://forum33.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/My Mavic Pro was just attacked tonight  while taking off vertically and hovering over the building. I looked down to check the camera settings and and all of the sudden the screen went bizerk. I looked up and saw a .....believe it or not...a sparrow!  There must have been a nearby nest, I know they can be protective and do that "married for life: thing. Took off a prop and detached the gimbal. .It's war now! Not really But someone come up with some attachable deterrent!
2018-2-24
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

They probably thought you were invading their territory so they we're trying to scare you away.
2018-2-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good to see all ended OK - scary moment
2018-2-24
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

dji TO88 Posted at 2018-2-24 21:36
They probably thought you were invading their territory so they we're trying to scare you away.

Indeed, I've had an encounter with these oystercatchers aswell, and its definately territory driven reactions, they don't need to be breeding for them to intimate you out of their territory.
And watch out for them, because they will come after you in organised flocks, even if you come in at 200 ft. altitude. Fleeing will get them to gain confidence and spearing of into the heigt will just let them make a pass at you again half a minute later.

Best thing to do in my experience with these oyster cathers in my experience is just let your drone hover before leaving their territory, if they see that the 'intruder' isn't intimidated, they'll stop attacking.

2018-2-25
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

I get a lot of seagulls flying near my mavic pro and if they get too close I just go straight up and fly away. problem is when you are flying in the distance and you don't see them till the last minute
2018-2-25
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-25 01:08
Indeed, I've had an encounter with these oystercatchers aswell, and its definately territory driven reactions, they don't need to be breeding for them to intimate you out of their territory.
And watch out for them, because they will come after you in organised flocks, even if you come in at 200 ft. altitude. Fleeing will get them to gain confidence and spearing of into the heigt will just let them make a pass at you again half a minute later.

Thanks for your advice.
2018-2-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Chrasher Posted at 2017-8-14 10:44

Very cool!      
2018-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules