Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
All videos missing from SD card
10141 23 2017-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mgable
New
United States

We took the Phantom 4 Pro out for the second time, our first time recording any video. We purchased a larger, 64 gb SD card, which we put in before flight. We came home and put the SD card in a reader and hooked it up to our Mac. All of the videos showed up...we watched a few without issue, and then when we went back to the folder to select another, all were gone. The folder was just empty. There is no way that we could have accidentally deleted them, as our Mac makes us confirm deletion and it didn't happen. The videos are still stored on the flight controller. First, has anyone had this happen and second, is there any other way for us to get the videos? We've tried putting the SD card back into the drone and into the controller, and neither show that our videos are there. The only way we've been able to view them is by selecting "Album" on the controller.
Any advice is appreciated. Also, we're forum newbies so if this is in the wrong thread, feel free to move it accordingly. Thanks!
2017-8-12
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The cached files on your controller are low quality copies of what you say on screen during the flight.
They are not the full resolution videos you recorded to the card.

Files don't just disappear after you view them.
Your missing video files are either on the card or they aren't.
If you have accidentally deleted them, you might find them in the recycle bin or be able to use recovery software to undelete them if you haven't over-written them already.
2017-8-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sorry to read about this, very frustrating.

You may have to refly and record anew.  ;-)

Not the end of the world, but no fun either, losing those precious recorded moments.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-12
Use props
I am the E
Second Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

I suggest changing the SD CARD and try again!
2017-8-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

As 2# mentioned, the files will not disappear after you view them. Check your recycle bin might be helpful.  Also, I would recommend you to use the original SD card to check the performance.
2017-8-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

'We came home and put the SD card in a reader and hooked it up to our Mac. '

The suspicious thing here is the Mac. It is not the first time this has been reported with Macs.
2017-8-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-12 18:57
'We came home and put the SD card in a reader and hooked it up to our Mac. '

The suspicious thing here is the Mac. It is not the first time this has been reported with Macs.

Geoff, when did this occur on a MAC in the past?  I may have missed this instability.

Using an hp desktop here. I put the micro SD card in a reader and place it in the appropriate slot to download.
I created a folder first, and once I highlight the videos and pics I want to store, drag and drop, or copy and paste them into the folder.

RedHotPoker

2017-8-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-12 19:19
Geoff, when did this occur on a MAC in the past?  I may have missed this instability.

Using an hp desktop her, I put the micro SD card in a reader and place it in the appropriate slot to download.I created a folder first, and once I highlight the videos and pics I want to store, drag and drop, or copy and paste them into the folder.

I don't recall, but I have seen this scenario on at least two previous occasions. I do seem recall that in the end, the files are actually there.
2017-8-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Hopefully the video files will be discovered and stored appropriately after.

No, I hadn't recalled this happening before, but I'm not on here every day, as I was during our Canadian winter months. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-8-12
Use props
edwardcatflap
New

Ukraine

if your data haven't been overwritten, then there is a great chance to recover your lost data with data recovery software, to my knowledge, pandora recovery software is powerful, highly recommend
2017-9-4
Use props
edwardcatflap
New

Ukraine

The sooner you do something about it, the better your chances https://www.pandorarecovery.com/sd-recovery.html
2017-9-4
Use props
tedrosenberger
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23665 ft
United States

I've now twice run into this same issue.  If I put a fresh card into a MACbook pro, all the DJI files just recorded seem to be erased.  Pandora recovery does indeed find them and I've been able to recover most files this way.  But why does a MAC seem to erase DJI files from an SD card when you first insert it?
2017-10-4
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Could this be related to an Anti Virus program of some kind?  Obviously one exclusive to Macs...just a thought
2017-10-4
Use props
Krzyniu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5607 ft
Denmark

I would suggest You to check again this sd card, I recently have problem that when You start shooting after few seconds it stops - there is some problem with the card.
I am trying to figure out what is going on. Try again to record something on this card and watch if it doesn't stop recording due to some card fault.

I am also using mac pro and so far haven't experienced missing files from sd card.

If Any of You had similar experience, please let me know.
I am using Sandisk Extreme 64GB UHS-I U3
2017-10-6
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

So, just to be clear. It sounds like you are using your mac to view the files on your sd-card via a card reader, correct? Is there any chance  you are "cutting" these images off the card and placing them on your computer? That is instead of "copying" them. Just asking. I can't imagine why your MAC would just automatically erase a file after viewing it. It just doesn't add up to me. I understand that is your confusion too. Is there a chance they are in another location. Search your computer for .mp4, .mov or whatever file format you are recording in.
2017-10-6
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

You forgot to give an important detail: Which OS is running on your Mac.
I'm asking because I see two different behaviours in different versions of Mac OS and OS X

I run these versions -from different hard discs on a Mac Book Pro from 2009:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) -Internal HD)
OS X Yosemite (10.10) -External FireWire HD
OS X El Capitan (10.11)  -External FireWire HD

Now, with 10.6 when I insert the Micro SD card from the P4P, I see all the content of the card, in two main directories DCIM and MISC.  Main DCIM contains 100MEDIA and MISC, while Main MISC contains a lot of subdirectories, with THM holding the Low Res video files

same happens with 10.10.

Things change with 10.11 El Capitan. The Main DCIM still shows, but the Main MISC seems to have disappeared. . But when I switch to an older OS, it reappears.
There is something definitely going on with how the newer versions of OS X deal with some directories and/or files in cards formatted externally. I suspect -but can't be sure as of now- that somehow the Main MISC directory might be invisible also on Windows computers. Can somebody verify this?
Files in pink are not read by El Capitan and possibly invisible to Windows
Screen shot 2017-09-16 at 7.54.12 PM.png
2017-10-7
Use props
JasonWilli
lvl.3

United States

I too agree with edwardcatflap words, also I do understand how precious are those videos for you.

Since, I am assuming they are still available on the SD card, but invisible to view on drive. The best option at this point for you is to use a professional SD Card recovery software like Stellar Phoenix or Diskdrill
2017-11-9
Use props
selvi
New

India

Hi
You can recover deleted photos, audios and videos from SD card easily by using any third party tool. As I have used Sysinfo tools Photo Recovery Software and found it the complete solution to recover the related thinks. You can also try the same. Link shared in my last thread also can check out the software from here:-  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid1135060

Hope this will work for you
Thanks
2018-1-16
Use props
selvi
New

India

Hi
You can recover deleted photos, audios and videos from SD card easily by using any third party tool. As I have used Sysinfo tools Photo Recovery Software and found it the complete solution to recover the related thinks. You can also try the same. Link shared in my last thread also can check out the software from here:-  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid1135060

Hope this will work for you
Thanks
2018-1-16
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-10-7 04:40
You forgot to give an important detail: Which OS is running on your Mac.
I'm asking because I see two different behaviours in different versions of Mac OS and OS X

A little late but yes on Win10 the whole structure is shown also the pink part of your picture.
the IDX files what ever they are, are created as soon as AC is started with the card inserted also during a format.

My thought of this problem would be that some Photo SW import the files from the card and delete them, but what do i know.
2018-1-17
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

KedDK Posted at 2018-1-17 00:09
A little late but yes on Win10 the whole structure is shown also the pink part of your picture.
the IDX files what ever they are, are created as soon as AC is started with the card inserted also during a format.

You may be on the spot. I remember once using some software and it had an option to delete the originals after import, or to leave them on the cards.
2018-1-20
Use props
fans22489f76
lvl.1

India

Just check out this thread may be this can help you: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid1196444
2018-2-26
Use props
djiuser_xNzaAd9sVjfo
lvl.1

India

Hi there…
Nothing to worry about, you can recover deleted videos, photos and other media files from memory card with ease via Backup option. But, if you don’t have backup then you can go with the Command prompt way to easily perform SD card recovery without any trouble.

To know more: http://www.rescuedigitalmedia.com/sd-card-recovery-4
2020-4-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_xNzaAd9sVjfo Posted at 4-2 23:38
Hi there…
Nothing to worry about, you can recover deleted videos, photos and other media files from memory card with ease via Backup option. But, if you don’t have backup then you can go with the Command prompt way to easily perform SD card recovery without any trouble.

Great. First we have China distributing deadly viruses all over the world, now India is doing the same with SPAM. Both of them bad citizens of the world.
2020-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules