First questions for my first drone.
1103 17 2017-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zoutv1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 174738 ft

United States

Sorry if a re-post of a re-post, but can't find the answers after searching.

I'm getting a Mavic and the fly more option.  So I have 3 batteries and at the max possible time I could fly with these three is about 80 minutes.  If I shoot 4k max settings for this lenght of time, how big of a SD card so I need to fit this on?   (If a train leaves the station at 3:34PM going 63Km and another leaves at 3:40PM traveling 83.4MPH, when will.......)  First off I really plan to take full RAW/DNG photos at full resolution.  But will probably get into video at sometime thereafter and thus want to buy for the max possible space I will need.

Does the mavic come with any video editing software, even if very basic?  

I read reviews of the DJI Go 4 app I will need to use on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S7 phone, and they are pretty horrible.  Lots of disconnects or crashing.  Anyone having similar issues?  My phone uses OS 6.0.1.  I plan on upgrading the drone/controller firmware to the lastest version as soon as I get it.

Thanks to everyone for helping me get started.

2017-8-13
Use props
Otterlake_Mavic
New
United States

I am a new owner as well.  I looked on DJI page for compatibility with my phone (Samsung S6) before buying.  Well, after flying for brief periods I am completely unsatisfied with my phones ability to handle the job.  It constantly disconnects as well as app crashes at least once every flight.  After much reading I purchased a Apple Mini 4, it'll be here Monday.  It felt more like, if my Mavic crashes, but when.  Hopefully the S7 handles the job better.
2017-8-13
Use props
Tekameleon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1308291 ft
Canada

Welcome zoutv1!

I suspect that you will be alright to start with the 16GB SD that comes with the Mavic, though might want to pick up a couple of 32GB cards at some point. Many of us swap out the card each time we change batteries, or at least after each day of flying. That way you always have a card in your drone (nothing like forgetting to load a card and realizing it in-flight), plus it's easier to transfer files using a USB or SD adapter than using the cord to the Mavic all the time.

I think, though can be corrected, that the largest SD cards the Mavic will take is a 64GB - just be sure whatever you purchase has the write-speed necessary to keep up with 4k video.

If you're just taking photos, the 16BG should be more than enough to keep you satisfied for a while. ;)

No video editing software comes with the Mavic, though there are a few good programs available free online. Google will be your friend.

I can't be of any help with your Samsung/Android questions - all iOS over in my camp. ;)
2017-8-13
Use props
medicrx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 118455 ft
United States

Hi!  You need at least a U1 class card for recording 4k.  Most recommend a U3.  Also known as a UHS speed class.
There are a lot of factors regarding file size, but a very rough estimate is 350mb per minute.
The mavic will support up to a 64gb card.
I picked up a samsung U3 64gb card from amazon a few weeks ago and it was about $27.  Spend the extra couple of bucks and get the 64gb.
2017-8-13
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

DJI"s Go 4 app has some basic video editing features, including a nifty auto-generate function that can work surprisingly well, but it uses the lower quality downlink video that streams to and caches on your phone. Makes it easy to create short movies and even upload to social media from the field, but a serious video author would want a desktop app like Final Cut or Adobe Premiere. Cheers.
2017-8-13
Use props
zoutv1
lvl.1

United States

I was thinking of getting this Samsung card.  32GB x 2 of them.  Samsung 32GB card

Would 32GB be sufficient for 4k max settings @ 80 or so minutes flying time?  The max write speed from the mavic to a card is 7.5.mb.  So anything over this write speed on a card, it will never take advantage of.
2017-8-13
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

zoutv1 Posted at 2017-8-13 07:17
I was thinking of getting this Samsung card.  32GB x 2 of them.  Samsung 32GB card

Would 32GB be sufficient for 4k max settings @ 80 or so minutes flying time?  The max write speed from the mavic to a card is 7.5.mb.  So anything over this write speed on a card, it will never take advantage of.

Forget 80 minutes flight time with three batteries. 60 to 66 minutes flight time with 3 batteries is more realistic.
You have to count 375 MB per minute of 4K recording. If you can fly your Mavic for 22 minutes on one battery, this would add up to some 8.2 GB per battery.

Where did you find a write speed of 7.5 MB/s for the Mavic when writing to a memory card?
2017-8-13
Use props
johcos79
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170344 ft
Greece

Have in mind that although the flight time with 3 batteries will be around 60 to 70 minutes as MARSAN also suggests, not all of this time will be spent recording.

Try with the included 16GB for a few flights and then upgrade if needed.
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Here is the calculation about the hold time of an SD card for a 4K video:
1byte=8bit, 1Gbyte=1024Mbyte
60Mbit/s ÷ 8 × 60 = 450MByte / minute, 16GByte / 450MByte = 36 min
A 16GB Micro SD card can hold 36 minutes, and a 64GB Micro SD card can hold 145 minutes.
We don't have a certain software for video editing, you can edit the footage on DJI GO 4 app "Edit".
For the App crashing issue, Samsung Galaxy S7 edge is on the support device list, if it keeps crashing, could you please try to reinstall it again? Or please provide the info below and I'll transfer it to our engineers.
1. Operations before and when the Android device crashes
2. Aircraft model
3. Android version number
4. DJI GO app’s version number (shown under Settings of Me in the app)
5. Crash log, (connect the device to the computer to export it: /sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4 /LOG/CRASH)
6. Your DJI account
Thanks in advanced.

2017-8-14
Use props
fans16cdaea9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 311417 ft
United Kingdom

I use a 64GB Samsung Evo Micro SD card.
Space for 3 flights each 22 minutes long, recording at 4k/30fps.
Samsung 64GB Micro SD

I tried using my Android Sony Z5C and it was just constantly crashing. The DJI GO 4 app is really not optimized for Android. I didn't have any Apple devices, but was forced to by an iPad mini 2. Works great, had no issues except once flying in direct sunlight the iPad said the CPU was maxed out (I presume thermal throttling), but I was still receiving a video feed which was more than I would have got it I was using my Android!
2017-8-14
Use props
zoutv1
lvl.1

United States

fans16cdaea9 Posted at 2017-8-14 03:04
I use a 64GB Samsung Evo Micro SD card.
Space for 3 flights each 22 minutes long, recording at 4k/30fps.
Samsung 64GB Micro SD

What android OS was your phone running when it kept on crashing?
2017-8-16
Use props
Zorrr2
lvl.3
United States

Found this on Amazon through a recommendation . . 200 GIG on a high-speed card . . have had no problem with it at all . . lots of room for videos !!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-8-16
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use a SD 64 gb and it has plenty of space.
2017-8-16
Use props
Hym Kaar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4035174 ft
Switzerland

CAPACITY+FLY DURATION: I use 3 batteries (20min per fly without wind), a 32GB SD card, I shoot at 4K, the Mavic shows me approx 1h05 min. of video recording, and tons of pictures. In reality, you'll need to recharge your batteries before you run out of space on your SD card. Using iPhone, so far 23h of fly, zero crash.
2017-8-16
Use props
fans16cdaea9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 311417 ft
United Kingdom

zoutv1 Posted at 2017-8-16 08:52
What android OS was your phone running when it kept on crashing?

Hi, I've tried the app on Marshmallow (Android 6.something), and Nougat (7.1.1), but I think it's the way the app is written to use the phones architecture. The Sony Z5c uses Big.Little architecture (Snapdragon 810) with kind of 2 CPUs. The DJI Go App only utilizes the single slower CPU, hence the performance issues.

Also the Z5c is prone to overheating issues with high CPU utilization.
I never use my phone for drone flying now.
2017-9-4
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Welcome to Mavic’s world, dear zoutv1,

I use a 64g SD.
I use an iPhone and there is no way to be better.
You, probably, will not flight the 3 batteries all the time, so, don’t worry about space.

Cheers
2017-9-4
Use props
jerome42
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10617 ft
France

You can buy a 128Gb card it works even if DJI says 64Gb on the specs.
2017-9-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Usually it is better to have several smaller sd cards than 1 big.
That way, if one fails (they are going to fail someday) you still have the other footage safe.
2017-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules