Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Active Track Test
633 12 2017-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tested the Active Track feature from 60+ feet up on a person skating (longboard) yesterday. From top to bottom was a difference of about 100 ft and the Phantom tracked perfectly. I did take over height controls at one point so footage would be of a closer view of the subject, but the best footage was when the Phantom had full control. I can also say that the Phantom was tracking at 22.6+ MPH. I didn't check top speed after the flight, but I know at one point it was going at least the speed mentioned.

2017-8-13
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Wow that looks great, nice work
2017-8-13
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BagoDJIoperator Posted at 2017-8-13 11:30
Wow that looks great, nice work

Thanks. It was all the P4P doing the heavy lifting though. I simply pressed the record button.
2017-8-13
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-8-13 11:39
Thanks. It was all the P4P doing the heavy lifting though. I simply pressed the record button.

I hope to get some cool videos i just need to get the time, I been way too busy
2017-8-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great job thanks for sharing.
2017-8-13
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-13 14:46
Great job thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Sir Hallmark.
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The video looks great! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy it and happy flying!
2017-8-13
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Looked good, but I have to ask…
A few times the drone appeared to overtake the target and put them at the bottom of the frame or nearly out of frame.  Is that because of a particular setting you made, or just how the craft was performing the track?

In addition, were you aware ahead of time of the high power lines that you encountered near the end?  If so, did you calibrate the altitude in advance or is that where you were making real-time adjustments?  Where were you in relation to the flying of the drone, back at the start area or in a follow on vehicle or?
Thanks
2017-8-13
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-13 21:18
Looked good, but I have to ask…A few times the drone appeared to overtake the target and put them at the bottom of the frame or nearly out of frame.  Is that because of a particular setting you made, or just how the craft was performing the track?
In addition, were you aware ahead of time of the high power lines that you encountered near the end?  If so, did you calibrate the altitude in advance or is that where you were making real-time adjustments?  Where were you in relation to the flying of the drone, back at the start area or in a follow on vehicle or?Thanks

Once, the AC overtook the skater because I was manually controlling speed. The other times it was due to the AC itself. This was my first attempt with it, so I have not done any tuning aor set any specifics. I would assume the results will be better after I know better how to use Active Track. I could have manually decreased speed or manually adjusted camera angle too.

We had taken the run once before, so I was aware of the power lines. Also, because Active Track only auto-adjusts for height when following UPHILL, the AC was far higher than the power lines by the time the skater made it to the bottom of the run. I had manually decreased height some by then though. I was in the passenger seat of a vehicle following the skater. We were probably 50 meters or so behind him, but to follow him in a vehicle was not necessary at all.
2017-8-14
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-8-14 06:26
Once, the AC overtook the skater because I was manually controlling speed. The other times it was due to the AC itself. This was my first attempt with it, so I have not done any tuning are set any specifics. I would assume the results will be better after I know better how to use Active Track. I could have manually decreased speed or manually adjusted camera angle too.

We had taken the run once before, so I was aware of the power lines. Also, because Active Track only auto-adjusts for height when following UPHILL, the AC was far higher than the power lines by the time the skater made it to the bottom of the run. I had manually decreased height some by then though. I was in the passenger seat of a vehicle following the skater. We were probably 50 meters or so behind him, but to follow him in a vehicle was not necessary at all.

Thanks!
Appreciate the feedback, all good to know

Enjoy, Fly Safe
2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Glad to see someone else using DJI aircraft to film downhill skating. I've taken both the Mavic and P4P with me, but I always get distracted by actually skating and usually only film 2 runs or so.
2017-8-14
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-8-14 10:19
Glad to see someone else using DJI aircraft to film downhill skating. I've taken both the Mavic and P4P with me, but I always get distracted by actually skating and usually only film 2 runs or so.

Man! Skating/Longboarding is the single most important reason I started buying DJI. Since I am done with my studies finally, I can put more time on learning to shoot better. Expect more. You can see more of our old Phantom 3 footage on our Youtube channel (thegrindlab).
2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-8-14 10:50
Man! Skating/Longboarding is the single most important reason I started buying DJI. Since I am done with my studies finally, I can put more time on learning to shoot better. Expect more. You can see more of our old Phantom 3 footage on our Youtube channel (thegrindlab).

Keep posting here. You have my full support! Skate and fly safe.
2017-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules