Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Micro SD Memory Card.
5465 24 2017-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rigger73
Second Officer
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

My apologies if this thread has been covered before;

What kind/Brand of Micro SD card do you use in your Phantom, Mavic, Inspire etc?

Any reasons why?

Do you have a favourite brand, or do you go for the 'fit for purpose at minimum cost' theology?

I'll start.

I bought three Toshiba 64Gb Class 10, U3 cards for what I think is a bargain - less than £20 - not much more in Euros or US Dollars (with our crumby Pound-Sterling exchange rate ATM).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Exceria-M302-Micro-Memory/dp/B01EAKAW44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502670931&sr=8-1&keywords=toshiba+64Gb+micro+SD

I think they are a bargain - and they are performing for me, really well.  They give me jsut over 90 mins recording time, at 4K 48FPS.

Thought about the 128Gb cards - but didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket so to speak (and the 128Gb was more money per Gb anyway)

So I use two of these cards on a rotational basis, on my P4P, and the third sits in my Huawei M2 Mediapad.

Does anyone else use these cards - or do you have a better card for a better price?

I've always used Sandisk Pro Compact Flash, with my DSLR where possible - but these Toshibas are doing the trick nicely, without breaking the bank.  I'm not affiliated with Toshiba in any way, BTW.  Just one person's honest review, but wanting to hear others.
2017-8-14
Use props
Russ_Sylvia_jr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78074 ft
United States

i personal like the Sandisk, i used other cards over the years an trash them all.  I found all kinds of problems with other brands.  I had one that work and took pic, but the camera work 900% slower for basic function, to cards that would not save no mater what i try, to cards that just stop working.

But i have not had this problems with sandisks cards.  I have found the problem most people have with memory cards is that they do not do a good long reformatting of the card now and then.  I do this every time i do a big shoot or every 5 jobs.  Even when you hit the delete button the information is still there, and after a while of writing over and over it, problems pop up (think of it like a old VHS tap).  Doing a good long reformat helps clear the data completely off.

I uses these memory cards (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/p ... _an6ia_sandisk.html) for most of my work. (i really do not shoot in 4k a lot, almost never. not much of a need for it with every day stuff.  I like 1080 at 60 farms, some times 120).  these cards do the trick, i must have 6 of them i use.  then i have a 128gb (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sand ... 501.p?skuId=5110501) for when i want to do 4k.
2017-8-14
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

Russ_Sylvia_jr Posted at 2017-8-14 05:30
i personal like the Sandisk, i used other cards over the years an trash them all.  I found all kinds of problems with other brands.  I had one that work and took pic, but the camera work 900% slower for basic function, to cards that would not save no mater what i try, to cards that just stop working.

But i have not had this problems with sandisks cards.  I have found the problem most people have with memory cards is that they do not do a good long reformatting of the card now and then.  I do this every time i do a big shoot or every 5 jobs.  Even when you hit the delete button the information is still there, and after a while of writing over and over it, problems pop up (think of it like a old VHS tap).  Doing a good long reformat helps clear the data completely off.

Sandisk ULTRA PLUS is the only way for me.
And the reason why I highlighted the word ULTRA PLUS, is because it has a smoother capability to record higher speed and higher quality video and photos without lagging of "jumping".  
I recommend minimum 64GB at the least, or if you don't want to be constantly transferring to your computer save space, 128GB.
2017-8-14
Use props
Steve Slechta
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31276 ft
United States

I did the Extreme and it's worked great......      SanDisk 64GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I/U3 Class 10 Memory Card with Adapter, Speed Up to 90MB/s (SDSQXVF-064G-GN6MA )

Then there's this from the main DJI page:

2. Which Micro SD cards are supported?
    Currently supported Micro SD cards are:
    Sandisk Extreme 32GB UHS-3 V30 MicroSDHC;
    Sandisk Extreme 64GB UHS-3 V30 MicroSDXC;
    Panasonic 32GB UHS-3 MicroSDHC;
    Panasonic 64GB UHS-3 MicroSDXC;
    Samsung PRO 32GB UHS-1 MicroSDHC;
    Samsung PRO 64GB UHS-3 MicroSDXC;
    Samsung PRO 128GB UHS-3 MicroSDXC;

Steve
Flight distance : 5852
Flight distance + Litchi: 46671
2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We suggest using SD card with Class 10/UHS-1 and above and writing speed with 60Mbps. Please kindly choose original SD card from the SD card company, which can be sure about the full test of its stability and compatibility.

2017-8-14
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

Yup..as what stated.. I did bought a 32gb SanDisk from china at 6USD..Wat a good deal right but.. BUT .. Returning it for refund as after a speed test.. It don't come close to a class 4 at All.. Sad to say.pay peanut u got monkey..tats why buy from a well reputable dealers is the best choice.
2017-8-14
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I personally like the Sandisk cards, I purchased a Extreme Pro 32GB for my Mavic ( http://amzn.to/2uX9cIQ ) and have not had any problems, it Is the fastest card you can buy, It is overkill but what It helps with is transferring the recorded files over to the computer, it takes literally 5 mins for 20GB of content.
2017-8-14
Use props
Steve Slechta
lvl.3
United States

Fastest MicroSD Card Speed Tests

Scroll down to the Benchmark Speed Test Results table. The SanDisk Extreme cards lead the top of the list on write speed.
2017-8-14
Use props
Rigger73
Second Officer
United Kingdom

3 times the price over here, compared to the Toshiba.  Are they they 3 times better?
2017-8-15
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Steve Slechta Posted at 2017-8-14 23:20
Fastest MicroSD Card Speed Tests

Scroll down to the Benchmark Speed Test Results table. The SanDisk Extreme cards lead the top of the list on write speed.

I agree with you. I like the Scandisk. Class 10 or better. Why would you want to save a couple dollars on something that is questionable. I don't mind paying a bit more for a premium card that works for me. Just my opinion.
2017-8-15
Use props
Steve Slechta
lvl.3
United States

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-8-15 14:23
3 times the price over here, compared to the Toshiba.  Are they they 3 times better?

4 times the write speed of the Toshiba per that table link I posted above....
2017-8-15
Use props
Rigger73
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-8-15 14:30
I agree with you. I like the Scandisk. Class 10 or better. Why would you want to save a couple dollars on something that is questionable. I don't mind paying a bit more for a premium card that works for me. Just my opinion.

Fair point, if it was only a couple of dollars, or pounds (I'm in the UK).

The point is 3 or 4 times the write speed - they are 3 times more expensive over here.

When you are buying multiple cards - that soon adds up at a factor of three.

I do like SanDisk - and use their Pro range Compact Flash cards in my DSLR.

But when I'm looking at buying 3 64Gb cards at £20 or £60, cost does start coming into the fray.

Had the Sandisks been even £30 - then it would have been no contest - Sandisk every time - but at three times the price - for write speed only.  Nope - Can't justify it.  More so when the Toshiba cards are recording faithfully at 4K 48fps, with no faults at all.

Again - had the Sandisk been cheaper over here - no contest - but not when they are 3 times the price.  4 times slower write speed maybe - but they are still a capable card, with the same capacity - thats all I need.
2017-8-16
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-8-16 13:28
Fair point, if it was only a couple of dollars, or pounds (I'm in the UK).

The point is 3 or 4 times the write speed - they are 3 times more expensive over here.

Hey I totally understand! I don't fault you. If those are working for you, go for it.
2017-8-16
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I am going to try to post this here first.  I did a search and did not find any previous threads that answers the below questions.  I hope that I can get the info I’m looking for, please.

Puzzle…
If you have 1 - 128GB SD card, 1 - 64GB SD card, and 1 - 16GB SD card (comes with the P4P).  In conjunction with the cards, you have a P4P, DJI Goggles, and an Android Phone (for now) (upgrading to a Samsung Tab A later, which will be solely dedicated to the drone)

Where do you put them, the cards?

My thought:
16GB in the P4P – reason, if anything (God forbid) happens to the bird you won’t lose an expensive card with it
64GB in the Goggles – reason, holds enough video/photos to capture and view for several missions
128GB in the Phone/Tablet – reason, plenty of storage for downloaded video/photos, flight data, maps, and other app data requirements

Does this make sense?
If not, what is a better configuration?

I’m not sure how important it is to have onboard storage in the drone, during flight, and if it is necessary then what is the minimum size needed that can cover several missions before you have to download it to free it back up.
Thanks
2017-8-16
Use props
Rigger73
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I ended up buying two more cards from Amazon at a fairly good price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SanDis ... 2060353.m2749.l2649

Will try them out soon, and give a report of how they compare to the Toshiba cards.
2017-9-1
Use props
fans61699a75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

One of the best is sandisk extreme pro (16,32 or 64 gb) uhs3
2017-9-1
Use props
Steve Slechta
lvl.3
United States

fans61699a75 Posted at 2017-9-1 02:59
One of the best is sandisk extreme pro (16,32 or 64 gb) uhs3

Yes. 64 Gig one here and it works great!

Steve
Flight distance : 5852
Flight distance + Litchi: 59545
2017-9-1
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-16 22:45
I am going to try to post this here first.  I did a search and did not find any previous threads that answers the below questions.  I hope that I can get the info I’m looking for, please.  
Puzzle…If you have 1 - 128GB SD card, 1 - 64GB SD card, and 1 - 16GB SD card (comes with the P4P).  In conjunction with the cards, you have a P4P, DJI Goggles, and an Android Phone (for now) (upgrading to a Samsung Tab A later, which will be solely dedicated to the drone)

It makes perfect sense, just not sure about the size of your font
2017-12-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

First Choice: Sandisk
Second Choice: Sandisk
Third Choice: Sandisk.
Fourth...

2017-12-9
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

LOL, too many choices, Geebax.  Can't decide.
2017-12-9
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sandisk extreme all the way.
2017-12-9
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-16 22:45
Puzzle…If you have 1 - 128GB SD card, 1 - 64GB SD card, and 1 - 16GB SD card (comes with the P4P).  In conjunction with the cards, you have a P4P, DJI Goggles, and an Android Phone (for now) (upgrading to a Samsung Tab A later, which will be solely dedicated to the drone)

I'd put the 64gb size sd card in the AC, I think the maximum is 128gb for the P4P, you'll the need extra capacity for the 4k video over the 16gb. The 64gb I believe will give you 60 minutes of recording time at 4k 50fps, this equates to a coupe of flights.

You want the best sd card recording in the AC to make sure you get all the best movies and shots, the cached movies on the googles and controller are not good enough for quality work due to dropouts and interefence

2017-12-9
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-12-9 13:35
It makes perfect sense, just not sure about the size of your font

Thank you...this was answered months ago
New question what's a font...
2017-12-9
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-12-9 17:31
I'd put the 64gb size sd card in the AC, I think the maximum is 128gb for the P4P, you'll the need extra capacity for the 4k video over the 16gb. The 64gb I believe will give you 60 minutes of recording time at 4k 50fps, this equates to a coupe of flights.

You want the best sd card recording in the AC to make sure you get all the best movies and shots, the cached movies on the googles and controller are not good enough for quality work due to dropouts and interefence

Thanks that is exactly what I ended up doing!
2017-12-9
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Been using SanDisk Ultra/Ultra Extreme with minimal, mainly user initiated, problems.

I use one card exclusively for updates & that way I have latest build on tap AND that saves having to search for it if needed.. So suggest you get a few cards and keep them in your carry case.
2017-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules