Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OTG Cable
3798 22 2017-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SharkDiving2017
lvl.1
United States

After many tries and many cables I finally got this OTG to work. Not sure if this will help anyone.

I have a Samsung tablet. Latest software/firmware for the Spark

Tried this OTG https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 not very secure. Kinda loose
This one worked for me https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also when I hooked everything up nothing worked. I checked my USB options and was given 2. One was Media and the other was Camera. Switched to Camera nothing. Switched back to Media and was given a message saying that the next time I hook this cable to my tablet do I want it associated with the DJI GO App? I said YEAH! always remember.

Everythime I hook it up and start the app, it goes right to "Go Fly"

Psych!!
2017-8-14
Use props
RGSinSC
lvl.1
United States

This video was great describing the process and I have a samsung phone and it worked great.
2017-8-14
Use props
RGSinSC
lvl.1
United States

I was having issues, as well......there is a set procedure and this video describes it best and it worked with my samsung phone the first try.......it also demonstrates that the "video" latency between  camera and controller/phone wifi, controller/phone otg and phone only mode is negligible!!!

2017-8-14
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have used a different order, and it's been successful for me.  I've started the app, started the RC (wait for blinking to stop), then connect the cable to phone first and then the RC.  All before I start the spark.  I then start the spark and wait for "GO FLY".  The reason I prefer this order is because the battery is a very limited resource, so I preserve as much drone battery as possible.  I've not had difficulties using this order.
2017-8-14
Use props
Bradders
Second Officer
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

This cable works : http://amzn.to/2wZRQfQ
2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

As always, I do not suggest to use this feature for now as officially test has not been done.
2017-8-19
Use props
Madwand
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73018 ft
United States

How does DJI say the range is 1.2 miles with the remote if they do not support the use of OTG? Without OTG and only using the phone's Wi-Fi, you can only fly the thing 100 feet before you no longer have video to see where you're going.
2017-8-19
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-19 02:11
As always, I do not suggest to use this feature for now as officially test has not been done.

Are the "officials" looking into this and hopefully make it into a permanent feature?
2017-8-19
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 228891 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

Madwand Posted at 2017-8-19 05:39
How does DJI say the range is 1.2 miles with the remote if they do not support the use of OTG? Without OTG and only using the phone's Wi-Fi, you can only fly the thing 100 feet before you no longer have video to see where you're going.

well just to let you know i can go 2000 ft with no problems by my house and more out in country, on 5.8 and wifi
2017-8-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-19 02:11

Seems to me, the crowd, eh, cloud is testing a very wanted and needed feature! ;-)
2017-8-19
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

When using the RC, isn't the phone's wifi connecting to the RC, while the RC connects to the AC.
It doesn't seem logical to have an issue with range in this mode which is all about the  RC to AC connection,  not having OTG shouldn't be a problem unless  you are having image latency issues between the phone and RC. Am I missing something here ?

If your using wifi direct from the phone to control the AC (phone and AC paired) without the using the RC at all, I can understand the range limitations
2017-8-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

TMUSVI Posted at 2017-8-19 09:27
well just to let you know i can go 2000 ft with no problems by my house and more out in country, on 5.8 and wifi

Yep, my max distance via wifi was 845m, connection on/offs
But on otg  1260m, with "only" batterie warning set the point of return
And: It was at the same starting point, the same flight direction.

I would really like to have the otg-connection officially approved as feature
It also helps, it seems, with the video-feed
2017-8-19
Use props
Bradders
Second Officer
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

The cable does not seem to work for me now, it must be something with the latest controller update. This still works http://amzn.to/2wkg888
2017-8-19
Use props
fansdd190fdf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 858993 ft
United Kingdom

No it works like this. Your phone connects to the transmitter in wifi mode. Then the transmitter creates another wifi link to the drone. The transmitter signal from itself to your phone is low power as it is always close to your phone. The signal from transmitter to drone is boosted so further range.
But as it acts like a relay of the video signal it has to pass the video and telemetry data back to your phone and this creates delay.  

If you connect by OTG the transmitter doesnt need the low power wifi connection to your phone as it is hard wired like a network cable. This should make the connection between phone and transmitter much more reliable in theory.

So end of day it will be a faster connection not further as transmitter long range wifi is separate from phone wifi anyway so it will not effect range in any way.
2017-8-19
Use props
Madwand
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73018 ft
United States

Ok, nobody actually answered what I asked, you just explained what I already know, that the phone is connected to the RC by wifi and the RC is connected to the AC with it's own wifi.  But the REASON people are using OTG is because the phone to RC wifi sucks and you get no range (you lose your video).  If that is the case and you get no range, then you cannot possibly get 1.2 miles with just the crappy phone to RC wifi as they claim.  Therefore, where do they come up with that distance?
2017-8-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Update: 2030m in plain sight
And I returned, b/c of lag in live-video feed
5200+m total distance, 14% battery, 13 minutes time
And in 368 m distance, a couple of trees, no sight to the drone, RTH!
It climbed from 50m to 90m and I could take control again.
So RTH is working, the second one this week. ;-)

2031.jpg RTH.jpg
I like the Spark!
2017-8-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-8-19 07:06
Are the "officials" looking into this and hopefully make it into a permanent feature?

I'm not sure, and we will release as soon as there is any update.
2017-8-21
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-21 02:46
I'm not sure, and we will release as soon as there is any update.

Thanks Susan!
2017-8-21
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-8-20 06:09

Awesome flight was that on 2.4ghz  or 5.8ghz
2017-8-21
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.4
U.S. Virgin Islands

lannes Posted at 2017-8-19 10:14
When using the RC, isn't the phone's wifi connecting to the RC, while the RC connects to the AC.
It doesn't seem logical to have an issue with range in this mode which is all about the  RC to AC connection,  not having OTG shouldn't be a problem unless  you are having image latency issues between the phone and RC. Am I missing something here ?

i say my friend yep agree
2017-8-21
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.4
U.S. Virgin Islands

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-8-20 06:09

nice have fun
2017-8-21
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

I did use the OTG, but did not switch the wifi band.
Unlucky, I did not try without OTG.
But I think I will go to that place soon again.

2017-8-21
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

I went to another place, today.
Mainly to find out, if there is still connection trouble or not, with LG G4 and OP5.
And I give up on the LG, now!
But the OP5 did well.
Connected via OTG I did hit 2500m in 5.8 Ghz band.
But again, I was on high ground, the Spark even a bit higher!

2500.jpg

If only the highspeed would be still about 50 km/h, right now.
My Spark is just making 38km/h !
2017-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules