Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I get the same range with OTG and with WiFi
1396 17 2017-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RonMargan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 160896 ft
Israel

very annoying, i can't go pass the 80-100M
it says 1.2m, so i expect atlist 500M range in an open space.

using iPhone 7+
all is updated to the latest firmware.
2017-8-15
Use props
dojoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 64865 ft
United States

Maybe you set maximum distance in DJI Go app? Or in beginner mode?
2017-8-15
Use props
Bradders
Second Officer
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

Exactly the same, completely stuck past 100M, the range seems to have got worse. Some people reported these work well http://amzn.to/2w7JpTg I'm going to just try and return the spark and get a different one as I'm having some problems
2017-8-15
Use props
Adomolis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 219219 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bradders Posted at 2017-8-15 10:22
Exactly the same, completely stuck past 100M, the range seems to have got worse. Some people reported these work well http://amzn.to/2w7JpTg I'm going to just try and return the spark and get a different one as I'm having some problems

I heard the opposite and that they sometimes even worsen the range
2017-8-15
Use props
Doobry
lvl.3
Flight distance : 394800 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Adomolis Posted at 2017-8-15 11:12
I heard the opposite and that they sometimes even worsen the range

I can confirm they improve it! by around  factor of 4 or 5

2017-8-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Are you using the RC to control the aircraft? I would recommend you to place the antennas properly and change to another location without interference to check.
2017-8-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i get noticeably better range with OTG on my iPad mini vs using wifi..but its slightly interesting results at times..

i repeated tested one after another, swapping batteries out.. i tried it in 3 locations...  

1 was at my farm, and i was intentionally in an area flying that has a lot of green foliage around..brush and trees and bushes  cant even see the spark within seconds unless watching it on the screen..  wifi to RC  .. range was 640~ish feet before signal chops but still usable..then RC lost signal around 1000 feet.. (like 1050 or something) did same test in same location using OTG and airplane mode on ipad to disable all wireless, and more then doubled the range on same path.. 2400 feet.. signal started to chop around 800 feet..  

same test methodology on the valley overlook we have down the road where clear shot for endless miles basically..  wifi to RC 4100 feet, impressive but unusablly laggy after 2500 feet, like 2 seconds of lag, im hoping nothing i need to suddenly dodge coming up on me....  OTG with airplane mode, 7200 feet, no lag until very fridges of that distance..  

last test, same method again,  i did was in my small town, this is where wifi vs OTG actually broke down more for me.. and became less clear with both performing nearly  identically in 2 passes around 4000 feet.... wasn't until 3rd pass when OTG allowed me to get over a mile out, 5600 feet.., and wifi was still stuck at same 4000~ish feet..   im not sure why or wat happens..

one thing remains constant with OTG vs wifi for me atleast is less laggy via OTG and it remains less laggy much further out not until very edges of range that it starts falls apart.. wifi its all over the place and gets laggy sometimes even a few feet from my iPad mini 2..  this could just be my iPad mini 2 takes longer to decode via wifi which while possible, iPad pro 9.7 we have acted very much the same.. wifi was better closer but just few hundred feet out it was all over the place with lag.. OTG cured it..
2017-8-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I would assume that the suroundings, meaning interferences from RC to Drone, are limiting your distance.
Not the cabel or no cabel, which in my understanding will create a real difference in response time and probably in better video, but rise the distance only, in case the mode  RC to Drone get changed from 5.8 to 2.4 Ghz.
Or do I missunderstand something here?
2017-8-15
Use props
milksteak
lvl.1
Flight distance : 137369 ft
United States

I was frustrated partway through my recent vacation because I  only get 600m max with the remote.  After reviewing the manual pdf I saved on my phone and realized the broadside of the antenna needs to be facing the drone.  I was pointing the antenna at the drone, which is wrong.   I tried it again the correct way and went out to 1300m over the ocean before video feed cut out (controls still worked as backing up a few meters brought the video back).   

Besides interference I'd guess the biggest reason why people get low range is incorrect antenna positioning.

2017-8-16
Use props
Bradbury
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13671 ft
France

What actually happens when you exceed the range? I guess it activates Return To Home, but do you quickly regain connection so you can cancel RTH and fly it back manually?

I haven't been able to try it myself. My maiden journey yesterday lasted literally 5-10 seconds before it started raining.
2017-8-16
Use props
milksteak
lvl.1
Flight distance : 137369 ft
United States

Bradbury Posted at 2017-8-16 00:33
What actually happens when you exceed the range? I guess it activates Return To Home, but do you quickly regain connection so you can cancel RTH and fly it back manually?

I haven't been able to try it myself. My maiden journey yesterday lasted literally 5-10 seconds before it started raining.

I usually get interruption in the video feed first, before actually getting any actual confirmed loss of connection.  Just because the signal isn't strong enough for video bandwidth, doesn't mean joystick controls aren't reaching through to it.  Usually I just backpedal blindly until the video comes back, then make a mental note this is my "max range" given the location i'm at.  So I've yet to send it out far enough and "lose" it long enough to activate auto RTH.   I'd hope you can cancel RTH and take manual control once in range.  You can cancel manual RTH or low battery RTH, at least.
2017-8-16
Use props
Adomolis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 219219 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

milksteak Posted at 2017-8-16 00:04
I was frustrated partway through my recent vacation because I  only get 600m max with the remote.  After reviewing the manual pdf I saved on my phone and realized the broadside of the antenna needs to be facing the drone.  I was pointing the antenna at the drone, which is wrong.   I tried it again the correct way and went out to 1300m over the ocean before video feed cut out (controls still worked as backing up a few meters brought the video back).   

Besides interference I'd guess the biggest reason why people get low range is incorrect antenna positioning.

my maximum range was 400 meters with perfectly positioned antennas as per manual
2017-8-16
Use props
Lian82
Second Officer
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

Max  standard Antenna CE 1km (2.4ghz OTG)
Max standard Antenna CE 150-200mt(5.8ghz OTG )

Max modded Antenna CE 1.4-1.8km (2.4ghz OTG)
Max modded Antenna CE 650mt (5.8ghz OTG)

But i use Mod FCC and 5.8ghz is 900+mt standard Antenna.

Test not complete...
2017-8-16
Use props
RonMargan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 160896 ft
Israel

I got max of 150 with OTG and 80 with wifi 2.4
no even neer 1.2M
2017-8-16
Use props
alan1206
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119934 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Cant change to 2.4 using rc. Distance it totally unacceptable. Can DJI let us lock it to 2.4?
Screenshot_2017-08-16-22-27-46.png
2017-8-16
Use props
alan1206
lvl.1
  • >>>
Hong Kong

alan1206 Posted at 2017-8-16 06:40
Cant change to 2.4 using rc. Distance it totally unacceptable. Can DJI let us lock it to 2.4?

i think spark would be selfie drone... can't fly further...
2017-8-16
Use props
alan1206
lvl.1
  • >>>
Hong Kong

alan1206 Posted at 2017-8-16 07:01
i think spark would be selfie drone... can't fly further...

It didnt show distance. It is 2m away from me. Lost signal in 74m up
Screenshot_2017-08-17-01-53-36.png
2017-8-16
Use props
alan1206
lvl.1
  • >>>
Hong Kong

i got my spark since last saturday.. been searching all issue and stuff happen to it.. I think i give up spark for now until DJI fixed the issue. i hope i can use it a month or so later.. if they can fix all issue
2017-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules