How to find my drone
11817 19 2017-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans785292ac
lvl.1

United States

Hello, I recently purchased a Phantom 3 for my son. He was using it succuessfully when something went wrong and it went down. Is there a way to physically track and locate the drone? We eventually located it in some bushes. The remote shows the location of "home" and location of the remote. How can we track the actual drone, especially if a malfunction occurs?
2017-8-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Could you upload the flight LOG of the errant flight, then share the link back here. Thanks.

www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload

RedHotPoker
2017-8-15
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

double post
2017-8-15
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

You cant really track the drone unless it stays connected to the remote and DJI go APP, If you lose the drone after a disconnect it will only record the last confirmed location in the DJI GO APP map. You would think a device with GPS and GLONASS would be able to be located if lost but apparently not. Many users have turned to products like "trackimo" or "marco polo tracker" that they can attatch to the drone and track it via gps if its ever lost.

Glad you were able to locate it!

2017-8-15
Use props
fans785292ac
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-15 10:22
Could you upload the flight LOG of the errant flight, then share the link back here. Thanks.

www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload

Thanks so much for the response RedHotPoker. However, as per my post, we did find it in a neighbor's yard. However, my question pertained to real-time tracking. I was disappointed to learn a device with a GPS cannot be located if disconnected from the remote.  I will now have to pursue some type of stick on tracker.

Thanks again.
2017-8-15
Use props
fans785292ac
lvl.1

United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-8-15 10:24
You cant really track the drone unless it stays connected to the remote and DJI go APP, If you lose the drone after a disconnect it will only record the last confirmed location in the DJI GO APP map. You would think a device with GPS and GLONASS would be able to be located if lost but apparently not. Many users have turned to products like "trackimo" or "marco polo tracker" that they can attatch to the drone and track it via gps if its ever lost.

Glad you were able to locate it!

Thanks for the suggestions of products. I saw two bluetooth ones like Tiles and TrackR but they are not what I really need.

I was disappointed to say the least regarding the inability to locate a drone, which should be standard.
2017-8-15
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

fans785292ac Posted at 2017-8-15 10:39
Thanks for the suggestions of products. I saw two bluetooth ones like Tiles and TrackR but they are not what I really need.

I was disappointed to say the least regarding the inability to locate a drone, which should be standard.

Yeah you wont get much range out of those. I currently use the Marco Polo device, its a bit more cumbersome than trackimo but also doesn't need any type of cell or gps signal
2017-8-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fans785292ac Posted at 2017-8-15 10:41
Thanks so much for the response RedHotPoker. However, as per my post, we did find it in a neighbor's yard. However, my question pertained to real-time tracking. I was disappointed to learn a device with a GPS cannot be located if disconnected from the remote.  I will now have to pursue some type of stick on tracker.

Thanks again.

Post the LOG so we can figure out what happened. ;-)

You will need this next time anyway, may as well learn how to use it...

RedHotPoker
2017-8-15
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-15 11:21

This is the easy way, works anywhere in the world by SMS access

Trackimo
2017-8-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

QuadKid Posted at 2017-8-15 11:26

Trackimo

We want to know what the battery was doing, and other aspects of the flight, ok?

Even RC stick input, can be seen here...

RedHotPoker
2017-8-15
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

If your phantom goes down, don't turn off the app! The app will show you the location. Especially if it is still powered on. I found mine that way once. The app shows your homepoint, location of your RC and also the aircraft. It is the familiar arrow icon on your screen. In Litchi, you also have a "find my aircraft" feature. I should say although you may have lost your connection, you can see the last location. Take your remote with you and start traveling towards where you think it was last, good chance if it still has power, it will update on your app when it picks up the signal again. You can't turn off the app and then turn it on later, it has to be left on for this to work.
2017-8-15
Use props
sSunSetter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

hmmmm ... Good Stuff, Thanks
2017-8-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

We're sorry to hear about your accident. I would recommend you to send an email to our Support Team via support.us@dji.com to report the issue, our colleagues will take care of it.
2017-8-15
Use props
fans785292ac
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-15 11:21

OH OK. I'll read on how to do that. Its his drone and I've had minimal exposure to it.
2017-8-16
Use props
rickmo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23901 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-8-15 11:26

Trackimo

Will the Trackimo work on a Spark? Is it small enough and light enough?
2017-9-17
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

rickmo Posted at 2017-9-17 09:32
Will the Trackimo work on a Spark? Is it small enough and light enough?

Can't see why it wouldn't, just remember you need to sign up for the service to locate via cell tower triangulation/GPS for it to work properly.
2017-9-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fans785292ac Posted at 2017-8-16 06:39
OH OK. I'll read on how to do that. Its his drone and I've had minimal exposure to it.

Still waiting for that link. Just to take a look.

Hope all is well with you and your son.   

RedHotPoker
2017-9-17
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I once lost a P3S and luckily it was on the ground  still transmitting.  Struck out walking with the rc and was able to go straight to it.
2017-9-17
Use props
djiuser_kK8T3igqpOV7
New

United States

Help I lost my drone the GPS was clutching and return to home canceled after lost sight trying to re do the landing but it kept clutching the camera here's the video please help lost now for 18 hours text me 8157100390 or Facebook Cameron David herme
2018-2-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Upload your flight log here, and it may show you a map with a location of where your Phantom was last seen...

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules