Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark vs. Mavic
8440 21 2017-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Virgil Quick
First Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

A question fro those of you who have both a Spark and a Mavic Pro.

I love flying my Spark and have really been bitten by the drone bug.  After flying the Spark enough to get confident with my abilities, I have begun taking it out to some extended distances.  One thing I have noticed is that the Spark responds well as long as there is a clear line of sight between the RC and the drone but if a tree comes between them then control of the drone becomes squirrelly and the video begins to freeze.

I was just wondering if the same is true for the Mavic?  I realize the Mavic uses a different type of communication which enables it to fly farther from the RC than the Spark but to fully control the Mavic must it also be a clear line of site?  

(I am having such a good time with the Spark that I am thinking about a Mavic at some point in the future.)

2017-8-15
Use props
JoeCec
First Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic and the Spark use the same type of communication when you bake it all down a bit, that being said, if you love the Spark, you will go crazy over the Mavic Pro. I cannot express enough pleasure out of this little drone. I tell everyone I can that the Mavic is hands down the best drone DJI has made to date. Happy flying. Oh, and I own the Spark, Mavic Pro and Inspire 2! All great in their own ways.
2017-8-15
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just got my Mavic, words fail me.  I adore this bird.
2017-8-15
Use props
dojoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 64865 ft
United States

I'll probably get Mavic 2 if it comes out this year. I know there's a lot of room for improvement in camera and compression bitrate.
2017-8-15
Use props
Virgil Quick
First Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

How difficult is it to transition from the Spark to the Mavic?
2017-8-15
Use props
TheFlyingDutchm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 717336 ft
Norway

They are very similar to operate.
2017-8-15
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
First Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Virgil Quick Posted at 2017-8-15 13:55
How difficult is it to transition from the Spark to the Mavic?

Just add money.

You cant beat the Mavic's Occusync Transmission. Its chalk and cheese. The occusync is much more reliable and penetrable than the old congested 2.4ghz wifi found on the spark.
2017-8-15
Use props
Rawsome
First Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

waiting on the fall release of M2
2017-8-15
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe...  ^^^
2017-8-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

occusync and wifi are fairly similar.. .. very similar, hard to imagine given how far away you can push the mavic pro.   if you are asking if signal will propgate better in dense foilage or behind buildings, the answer is..its convoluted and has more to do with RF theory..   short answer is no, if it blocks wifi it likely block occusync, but the mavic pro has a much higher wattage for RF output, so it will likely pick up reflected secondary signals.. but if you are flying behind and around areas that will block wifi or other signals, becareful even with mavic pro, and use one of the other features like waypoint or POI to get around gaps in signal..  

battery life, range and camera(currently)... just miles beyond the spark.. i imagine the camera on spark will likely get updated for better metering and stuff.. but here and now... ya... mavic pro

my word of advice... $300 difference between fly more combo spark and base Mavic pro , get the mavic pro if you can..  which includes controller, 1 battery and handful of extras..  i know mavic pro and spark are targeted at different audiences and built differently, but DJi priced it out wrong given spark's features vs mavic's features..   i think DJi should have launched spark base at $300 for drone and a battery only.. and $500 for current fly more combo...  

2017-8-15
Use props
gezzer300
Captain
Flight distance : 697851 ft
United States

Rawsome Posted at 2017-8-15 18:26
waiting on the fall release of M2

I'm thinking a Mavic something in the future
2017-8-15
Use props
Sime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

own both, the Mavic destroys the Spark.
2017-8-16
Use props
Y2JDMBFAN
lvl.1
United States

Sime Posted at 2017-8-16 00:04

Can you elaborate?
2017-8-16
Use props
Thor1
First Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

i honestly don't believe they are comparable. the mavic is a whole different beast and they are better in different ways.

as ImHereToCrash said, the signal and response will still be spotty if you are flying behind things that block the signal although i believe it would be better than the spark in that way.

If i were you i would wait until DJI comes out with a new version of the mavic as it will probably be amazing, thats what i am doing
2017-8-16
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-16 04:56
i honestly don't believe they are comparable. the mavic is a whole different beast and they are better in different ways.

as ImHereToCrash said, the signal and response will still be spotty if you are flying behind things that block the signal although i believe it would be better than the spark in that way.

that was my original plan as well.. waiting for mavic pro 2 but i guess early bday present for me... returning my spark and getting my refund and taking it to mavic pro....  

, sadly today, lil sparky passed away booted her up all normal, started flying ..got a slew of errors all at once, like spammed with them.. couldn't even keep up with all popups..lost RC signal..  thought worst had happened, lil spark finally fell.. but no, silently returned home... landed at my feet.. i rebooted everything to check but she refused to boot up, battery booted fine, but spark was offline..  somehow it returned home basically dead.... landed turned off and never turned on again...  i have no idea what happened, and i dont care, im getting a mavic pro because its more mature platform and less likely to just fail...
2017-8-16
Use props
Thor1
First Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-16 06:05
that was my original plan as well.. waiting for mavic pro 2 but i guess early bday present for me... returning my spark and getting my refund and taking it to mavic pro....  

, sadly today, lil sparky passed away  booted her up all normal, started flying ..got a slew of errors all at once, like spammed with them.. couldn't even keep up with all popups..lost RC signal..  thought worst had happened, lil spark finally fell.. but no, silently returned home... landed at my feet.. i rebooted everything to check but she refused to boot up, battery booted fine, but spark was offline..  somehow it returned home basically dead.... landed turned off and never turned on again...  i have no idea what happened, and i dont care, im getting a mavic pro because its more mature platform and less likely to just fail...

thats a good plan, its too late for me to get a refund so ill wait until it dies. maybe get a mavic pro then. hopefully a mavic pro 2
2017-8-16
Use props
alan1206
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119934 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Sime Posted at 2017-8-16 00:04

i am just regret to get spark. my first drone is P4 and then Mavic. spark can't fly any further....
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend you to select a place without interference. As for the Mavic Pro 2, I have not received any notification of this for now. Appreciate your attention and we will release on our website if there is any updated news.
2017-8-19
Use props
PascalG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

I used somebody's Mavic a number of times a few months ago and it is indeed impressive. I went back n forth between spark and Mavic back in June when I decided to get a drone and picked the spark.  Lost It  a few days ago when it either shutdown or went bananas while flying 1900' away.  I am most likely going to get a Mavic this time mostly for th better reliability and range of ocusync

That said since I don't need or use 4K there is very little difference in the footage between both. The other thing which makes want to go with Mavic is that th gimbal remains stabilized in sports mode instead of switching to FPV   In FPV mode the footage I see pretty much useless and sports mode is a must for shooting action stuff like watersports
2017-8-19
Use props
SebastianShaw
lvl.1

Georgia

Mavic Pro wins in DJI Mavic Pro vs Spark comparison. There is no question about that. They operate on same system and yes Mavic Pro can go farther from its RC. OcuSync is better than Enhanced Wi-Fi. All in all Mavic Pro has some advantages over Spark, but if you're looking for the drone from Mavic Series, which has more advanced flight system - it's gonna be Mavic Air and if you're planning to review the differences between DJI Mavic Air vs Mavic Pro here you go.
2018-5-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic for sure   
2018-5-9
Use props
KurtVD
Second Officer
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

If you, like me, are ready to upgrade, you might wanna read this discussion in the Mavic forum (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 8&page=1#pid1348244). I asked the Mavic owners if they would rather recommend the Mavic Air or the Mavic Pro. Where I live, both are priced about the same. Interestingly enough, one or two still recommended the Mavic Air, and one of these guys owns both the Air and the Pro. And another guy made a very informative video comparing the two.
Personally, I will go with the Mavic Pro. For the same price, I want the longer flying times and the better, and especially more stable transmission range. But, since there are persistent rumours about a new Mavic Pro coming out, I will wait until the end of this summer before buying anything. If there's something new coming out, I will either get the new version or a discounted Mavic Pro 1, but I don't wanna pay the full price for a Mavic Pro if it's soon going to be the "old model".
Edit: Plus there's the version of the Pro with the quieter propellers (Mavic Pro Titanium? Or Platinum?), less noise is a big plus for me.
2018-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules