RC Controller battery no longer charges, where to buy a replacement?
3439 10 2017-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
windgate
lvl.3
United States

I have a P3A which has worked flawlessly now for over a year. However, just recently my RC Controller battery will no longer charge. Can I purchase and replace the battery myself? And if so, where is the best source for buying the replacement battery? Help is much appreciated as I was hoping to fly my drone next week during the solar eclipse.
(See my later reply added below as it turns out the battery was fine -- it was an internal cable)
2017-8-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You would think the battery in rc would last longer than a year, since it's not charged near the frequency of the aircraft.
2017-8-16
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

so after opening up the RC the battery is a lipo 7.4v 6000mAh battery. I found such via Goodle -- however, the issue if finding on with correct connector.
2017-8-16
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

After opening up the RC (controller), and as having found typical in much of my industrial applications work, I took a shot at re-seating the internal connectors. The battery now operates just fine. If I had to suspect one of the cables in particular, it would likely be the micro-ribbon cable that is labelled on one end as main connector and connects to the RC assembly bottom side.
This is not a fun cable to reconnect after separating the two halves as it's (likely and intentionally) very short. I don't believe DJI wants anyone getting into their products. However, I could not help doing so as I'm an electrical engineer with 30 years of experience.
I can only imagine what the cost would have been if I had sent the RC into one of their service centers.
Hope this might help someone else who may experienced the same issues.
2017-8-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Good thing for all of us to remember.  Thanks for posting the fix
2017-8-16
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

Yes thank you I will remember this one.
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It's nice to hear that you have figured it out so quickly. Also, I would recommend you to contact our support team if there is any further questions in the future.
2017-8-16
Use props
chuckb0001
lvl.1
United States

windgate Posted at 2017-8-16 06:09
so after opening up the RC the battery is a lipo 7.4v 6000mAh battery. I found such via Goodle -- however, the issue if finding on with correct connector.

Goodle? What's goodle? I need a battery for my phantom 4 controller.
2018-6-28
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

chuckb0001 Posted at 2018-6-28 04:41
Goodle? What's goodle? I need a battery for my phantom 4 controller.

My advice would be this, google "Goodle" and see what comes up?

2018-6-28
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Glad fault found and fixed.

For anyone who really has dead battery : (DJI do not want you inside the controller of course) ..

Plenty videos on YT about this ... and the strange dual wiring it has ...

Many people when outside of warranty actually substitute a standard LiPo instead and charge it direct.

As to what LiPo is OEM .... actually the label on the back of Controller in VERY TINY numbers says it !!  I need a mag glass to read it ... but its there.

Nigel
2018-6-28
Use props
fans4333905e
lvl.1

United States

Use the repair facilities that DJI has. In my opinion they have treated me awesome
2018-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules