RC - Inspire 1 Comms Issues - Problem Solved
894 4 2017-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Guild
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33120 ft
United States

Below I outline my recent communication issue between my RC and my Inspire 1, and what I did to resolved it.   Maybe this story will help someone avoid this issue.

I've got nearly 100 flights, over a two year period, with my Inspire 1 and have had no issues.  One week ago I found I had a comms problem; the DJI app indicated 'disconnect'.  After resolving this issue I now strongly suspected it was a electo-mag inference problem.   However, it took me several frustrating days to figure it out    Here is my story.  

I'm an artist with a studio packed with computer equipment and multiple large screen monitors.  Before flying my Inspire 1, my usual routine is to do a few preliminary checks in my studio then move to the field to do final checks and fly.  I've been doing this over a  two year period without an issue.  After not flying my drone for a month I decided last week I would fly it.  I attempted to complete my usual preliminary checks in my studio but I kept getting a 'Disconnect' reading; I could not get the RC to communicate with the Inspire 1.   I researched various forums on this issue and struggled to establish comms but had no success.    Finally, after reading a fourm on electro-mag interference, I performed the preliminary checks outdoors.   And guess what, it passed my checks; there was good comms between the RC and the Inspire 1.

So what changed?  Several weeks ago I equipped my studio with a surround sound audio system - wires and speakers all around, high power big bulky amps, pre amp,  etc., etc.  I believe this audio system, plus my PC equipment, just simply overwhelmed the RC/Inspire 1 in terms of electo-mag interference.  As soon as I moved the RC/Inspire 1 out of this environment I had comms.   Wow, what a pain in the a$$;  but;  I learned a lesson - preliminary checks will be done way from electronic equipment.  What a dummy I am, I should have gone through the Inspire 1 manual more closely.  )

2017-8-16
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Mine has disconnected and has been difficult to connect at different areas, often 5 miles apart in a vacant field.  I think there are other things going on, but I suspect the way DJI moves the frequencies around is causing a disconnect at times.

I've learned to not think "Hey, I solved it!" as it usually surfaces again later on and bites me.  My Air 2 is now acting up where it used to be good.  And my Android that never connected now always connects.  Dunno.
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi, John, we are glad to hear you got the problem solved by yourself. Hope you have a good time on flying.
2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-8-16 08:55
Mine has disconnected and has been difficult to connect at different areas, often 5 miles apart in a vacant field.  I think there are other things going on, but I suspect the way DJI moves the frequencies around is causing a disconnect at times.

I've learned to not think "Hey, I solved it!" as it usually surfaces again later on and bites me.  My Air 2 is now acting up where it used to be good.  And my Android that never connected now always connects.  Dunno.

What is the model of your aircraft? Have you tried other mobile device and different cable?
2017-8-17
Use props
Donnie - Apple
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Do you happen to remember if it was "Aircraft Disconnected " and not just "Disconnected "  The AD would indicate that there was no communication between the Aircraft and the RC transmitter where as the "disconnected " would be no communication between the RC transmitter and the Go app.

This was a while ago an you may not remember, just want to see if heavy interference could cause the "disconnected'  waring to come up .... I think you just meant "aircraft disconnected" but just want to double check .

Like I say its been while so if you forgot no big deal .

donnie

thanks by the way !
2018-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules