POLL: Would you purchase a harness to fix TB-47/8 batteries??
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-9-13 06:02
Hi Rich, it seems that you are now in production. I am in Australia. What would the cost be getting this cable connection made? Want to get 5 sets.

DTK
I just received a few parts for another prototype unit. I have not gone into production quite yet. I see that you are interested and I really appreciate that. Hang in there and I will keep you posted soon
Rich
2017-9-13
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Since I have been inherited with a troublesome TB48 which has a few weak cells in it. I have individually balanced them a few times but the issue always recurring. It is a pain to open the cover and much more pain to individually balance them. So I have done the harness myself using a cable from another dead TB47. Once it is done, it can be balanced with my Venom Produo charger, very similar to Rich's icharger. Now with the balancing cable, the battery can be left alone and balance charged. Anyone who has these "intelligent" batteries should need one. Down the track, you would need one to do a "real" battery balancing charge. So it will be a good news when Rich is ready for production. At the moment, the advice is to run the battery down to 5% and the circuitry reset the cell charge information and "hope" that the following recharge will balance the cells. It does not work every time, it works probably when the cells with the battery are relatively in comparable strength. With one out of spec weak cell, the balance charging will be faulted.

Discharging to 5% or lower will also kill battery life. Lipo battery should be limited max discharge to around 20%. If you drain your battery down to below 10%, your battery capacity will roughly reduce by 100-120mah. So with a TB47 's capacity of 4500mah, it will not last very long. Even in normal use, every discharge and recharge will cost you about 20-30mah. DJI's claim of useful life about 200 charges is challenged here. After 200 counts, conservatively the capacity of the battery will be down to a couple hundred mah, the flight time is probably a couple of minutes.
charger.jpg
harness1.jpg
2017-9-26
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-9-26 13:49
Since I have been inherited with a troublesome TB48 which has a few weak cells in it. I have individually balanced them a few times but the issue always recurring. It is a pain to open the cover and much more pain to individually balance them. So I have done the harness myself using a cable from another dead TB47. Once it is done, it can be balanced with my Venom Produo charger, very similar to Rich's icharger. Now with the balancing cable, the battery can be left alone and balance charged. Anyone who has these "intelligent" batteries should need one. Down the track, you would need one to do a "real" battery balancing charge. So it will be a good news when Rich is ready for production. At the moment, the advice is to run the battery down to 5% and the circuitry reset the cell charge information and "hope" that the following recharge will balance the cells. It does not work every time, it works probably when the cells with the battery are relatively in comparable strength. With one out of spec weak cell, the balance charging will be faulted.

Discharging to 5% or lower will also kill battery life. Lipo battery should be limited max discharge to around 20%. If you drain your battery down to below 10%, your battery capacity will roughly reduce by 100-120mah. So with a TB47 's capacity of 4500mah, it will not last very long. Even in normal use, every discharge and recharge will cost you about 20-30mah. DJI's claim of useful life about 200 charges is challenged here. After 200 counts, conservatively the capacity of the battery will be down to a couple hundred mah, the flight time is probably a couple of minutes.

DTK

Nice work and yes this is a great way to access the battery for additional maintenance. I sent out a harness to Mark and he will be doing some similar testing. Yes, the batteries are a bit of work to take apart. If you use the right tools from IFixit it can be a lot easier.  My Youtube videos were taken with my iPhone and I am not very proud of the quality.  Should be posting this anyway just to help get the information out there

Doesn't seem to be much interest from many members.  My investment for the required minimum might not work out. Should know very soon

Rich

2017-9-26
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

I will help to bump up this thread. To be honest, I was surprised when you started this thread. How can your new battery become imbalance only with 1 charge count. A lot of people will understand that this is a bloody expensive hobby or work equipment. The users need to roll up their sleeves and acquire some basic maintenance skill.
2017-9-26
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-9-26 19:50
I will help to bump up this thread. To be honest, I was surprised when you started this thread. How can your new battery become imbalance only with 1 charge count. A lot of people will understand that this is a bloody expensive hobby or work equipment. The users need to roll up their sleeves and acquire some basic maintenance skill.

Unfortunately my supplier has told me the minimum quantity has gone beyond what I can manage for this project. I am looking for another solution again.

Rich
2017-10-9
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

What people can do is to get the cable from a spent TB47/TB48 and send to Rich. Recycle what can be savaged is always a good thing.
2017-10-9
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-10-9 20:00
What people can do is to get the cable from a spent TB47/TB48 and send to Rich. Recycle what can be savaged is always a good thing.

I believe you can make 2 harnesses from one old Inspire 1 battery.....The cable has a connector on both ends.. one socket can be trimmed down to fit, plus the original one for the battery connection.   I was hoping to have these made professionally to keep the costs down. Making them one at a time is pretty tedious but possible.

All the best
Rich
2017-10-9
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

One end of the cable has 2 more wires connected to it. It probably getting data from circuit board. Only the end connect to the Lipo cells would be useful. But still, we know that a lot of people have spent batteries especially coming out hybernation/from storage. Please send them to Rich.
2017-10-10
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-10-10 19:20
One end of the cable has 2 more wires connected to it. It probably getting data from circuit board. Only the end connect to the Lipo cells would be useful. But still, we know that a lot of people have spent batteries especially coming out hybernation/from storage. Please send them to Rich.

True Green, sent me some from his swelled up batteries. Thank you very much TG.

PS. yes the other side of this cable from the battery can be cut down (removing the 2 temp sensor contact wires) and it will work on a harness...    

It is nice to see the community friendship on this forum!  

Thanks DTK
Rich
2017-10-11
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

There's enough people out there with dead Phantom batteries too, maybe even more than the Inspires.  Maybe the idea needs to be universal for all these DJI things, but how?
2017-10-11
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-10-11 07:36
There's enough people out there with dead Phantom batteries too, maybe even more than the Inspires.  Maybe the idea needs to be universal for all these DJI things, but how?

Hi
Actually the Phantom battery would not be of any use in this case, because they are using a 3 or 4 cell type system. The Inspire uses a 6 cell battery and can be taken apart without breaking the pieces. The key component is the socket connector used to read the 6 cells that are soldered to the top circuit board.

But you are right, I am sure a lot of people have tossed out the Inspire 1 TB 47 or 48 batteries.  Sure would be nice to have all those socket connectors  

Rich

edit: add photo

IMG_9138.JPG
2017-10-12
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

Guys, please only send the cable and don't send the battery.
2017-10-12
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

I got mine, it works a treat, I couldn't be happier, thanks Rich. Unfortunately, I have run out of batteries that need balancing, so back in the draw til next time.
IMG_20171027_183135.jpg

Mark G.
2017-10-29
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-10-29 03:22
I got mine, it works a treat, I couldn't be happier, thanks Rich. Unfortunately, I have run out of batteries that need balancing, so back in the draw til next time.
[view_image]

Hi Mark,  great news and thanks for updating us on fixing your battery project. The nice thing is, when you need to fix a battery.... you can do it with the harness anytime you need to... You can cycle the batteries using the Li Po charger discharge program and then slowly charge them back up. Could add some life to your batteries.  

The sad thing for me is the proprietary socket connector is hard to come by. My supplier has dropped my request for small quantity production of 150 pieces     so that is killing my production ideas of the harness for other I1 owners.

Rich
2017-10-29
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Finally posting the video regarding this information and definitely not a great job, but something to watch on the subject.
Rich

2018-1-3
Use props
fansf9610274
lvl.1
United States

I have a tb48 with one charge on it and cell #5 is low. I took off the top and seen the mini 6s plug and cursed Dji lol.I have chargers but need that plug if anyone has a plug or a donor battery let me know.My other batteries are new or almost new so no donors there.
2018-2-5
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-10-29 19:36
Hi Mark,  great news and thanks for updating us on fixing your battery project. The nice thing is, when you need to fix a battery.... you can do it with the harness anytime you need to... You can cycle the batteries using the Li Po charger discharge program and then slowly charge them back up. Could add some life to your batteries.  

The sad thing for me is the proprietary socket connector is hard to come by. My supplier has dropped my request for small quantity production of 150 pieces     so that is killing my production ideas of the harness for other I1 owners.

i have two more plugs. purchased some used TB48 from a seller on Ebay. well i was sent two dead Tb47. filed a claim, got a full refund and was told to keep the batteries. well they do me no good and are also swelled slightly
2018-2-5
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TruGreen Posted at 2018-2-5 17:48
i have two more plugs. purchased some used TB48 from a seller on Ebay. well i was sent two dead Tb47. filed a claim, got a full refund and was told to keep the batteries. well they do me no good and are also swelled slightly

Hi TG,

Were you thinking about sending me the plugs? You have my information and just send the cheapest way snail mail.  

I have 2 of the JST-XH connectors on hand right now.     I see fansf96.... needs a harness  

Let me know what you are thinking.  

PS, I have not found any suppliers that would provide 100- 150 connectors and wiring pins for my harness idea. It has been really slow going.

Edit: I would be happy to send you some reimbursement for your help
Rich
2018-2-5
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansf9610274 Posted at 2018-2-5 17:31
I have a tb48 with one charge on it and cell #5 is low. I took off the top and seen the mini 6s plug and cursed Dji lol.I have chargers but need that plug if anyone has a plug or a donor battery let me know.My other batteries are new or almost new so no donors there.

TG posted he has a couple from bad batteries.  So I am not sure if you are looking for a completed harness... or want to do all this yourself?  

Let us know.  If TG sends me the battery jumper wires and will be able to assemble 2 harnesses.  PM me for details.

Rich
2018-2-5
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-2-5 20:44
Hi TG,

Were you thinking about sending me the plugs? You have my information and just send the cheapest way snail mail.  

yea ill drop em in the mail tomorrow
2018-2-6
Use props
djiuser_g6H44OFUYWIL
lvl.2

United States

Are you still making the harnesses, I am interested in one. I have 4 TB48’s with screwed up cell voltages
2018-2-6
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TruGreen Posted at 2018-2-6 16:57
yea ill drop em in the mail tomorrow

TG

Thank you sir!!   sounds like you have been busy picking up stuff from EBay  

All the best
Rich
2018-2-6
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_g6H44OFUYWIL Posted at 2018-2-6 17:38
Are you still making the harnesses, I am interested in one. I have 4 TB48’s with screwed up cell voltages

I have 2 guys ahead of you, but neither one has contacted yet.... So, you can send me your email by PM and I will see what I can do.  TG will be sending the sockets for 2 more harnesses.

These are hand made at this point waiting for some supplier to come through for me.

Rich
2018-2-6
Use props
djiuser_g6H44OFUYWIL
lvl.2

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-2-6 21:04
I have 2 guys ahead of you, but neither one has contacted yet.... So, you can send me your email by PM and I will see what I can do.  TG will be sending the sockets for 2 more harnesses.

Sent a PM

2018-2-6
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-2-6 21:00
TG

Thank you sir!!   sounds like you have been busy picking up stuff from EBay   

yea always searching ebay for good deals. sadly got screwed on the batts. should have been two good working TB48, but instead was sent to dead swollen TB47..... like really the add was pictured and described 48s, but got these in the mail.... ya i was not happy

2018-2-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TruGreen Posted at 2018-2-7 06:34
yea always searching ebay for good deals. sadly got screwed on the batts. should have been two good working TB48, but instead was sent to dead swollen TB47..... like really the add was pictured and described 48s, but got these in the mail.... ya i was not happy

[view_image]

I do not understand why people try this on EBay? Do they think that customers will not notice?  Glad you got this sorted out.

Thanks again
Rich
2018-2-7
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-2-7 17:59
I do not understand why people try this on EBay? Do they think that customers will not notice?  Glad you got this sorted out.

Thanks again

the plugs are on the way though should have them next couple of days
2018-2-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TruGreen Posted at 2018-2-7 18:06
the plugs are on the way though should have them next couple of days

Thank you  

PS I am still looking for a home for the new Inspire 1 V2 combo kit (backup unit)  FW is AC 1.8 RC 1.6  let me know if you hear anything
Rich
2018-2-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TruGreen Posted at 2018-2-7 18:06
the plugs are on the way though should have them next couple of days

TG
Received  Thank you again!
Rich
2018-2-13
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

If you voted that you would like one of these harnesses...  I have 2 sockets from TG

So send me a PM I will give you instructions,  first come first serve

Rich   
2018-2-13
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-2-13 17:29
TG
Received  Thank you again!
Rich

good to hear, and your welcome
2018-2-13
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-9-26 19:50

We have another Inspire 1 user that is trying to fix his battery using the harness. He purchased one of the Venom
Link to charger

but cannot get it to start the balance mode. I thought that you own a Venom charger you might have some ideas how to get the charger to read the cells or start up. I know that you can fool the charger by using another battery chemistry and disconnecting the port connector, but safety is first in my mind.

Thanks for helping
Rich

photo off set up
IMG_2117.jpg
2018-2-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-10-29 03:22
[view_image]

Hi Mark, do you have any ideas regarding post #72?  

Let me know what you think

Rich
2018-2-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_g6H44OFUYWIL Posted at 2018-2-6 17:38
Are you still making the harnesses, I am interested in one. I have 4 TB48’s with screwed up cell voltages

Do you have any updates regarding my post #72?

let us know if you need more help

Rich
2018-2-22
Use props
rg155
lvl.2

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-2-22 21:57
Do you have any updates regarding my post #72?

let us know if you need more help

Haven’t had time to try yet but still no dice with it.
2018-2-23
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

rg155 Posted at 2018-2-23 09:09

RG,
Sorry to hear this. We will figure it out together. As discussed, it is very possible the one cell is low enough that this charger kicks a safety message. Sorry I do not have first hand experience with your charger.

Safety first, but you can change the battery chemistry to  LIION disconnect the balance port (special harness) then select the voltage to 22-24V    This would be (2.4v x 10 cell LIION)  
Now because you do not have the cells being monitored with the balance port use a very low current level. (it will take more time)  use 0.2 amp . start the battery charge for about 10 - 15 min and stop. Go back to LiPo charge/balance with the harness connected again and see if the battery pack voltage is high enough to work.
Please be very careful and let us know
Rich
2018-2-23
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

rg155 Posted at 2018-2-23 09:09

RG
Per my email

please carefully try NiMH settings on your charger: I wanted to share this with others too

Can you please try using NiMH at 0.1 – 0.20 Amps  with the balance port removed and watch the pack voltage increase.  Do this about 5 – 10 minutes .  6 cells up to about 3.3v per cell minimum and 22.2 volts on the pack total. Then check to see if you can begin the normal charge or balance with the harness connected and selected to 6 cell LiPo

Remember to take care and be safe using these alternate methods of charging because the battery can start on fire if you do watch this very closely. All you are doing is topping up the battery just enough for the normal balance or charge mode will work.

remember that videos are only used for reference
Similar video

Similar video, but they are using NiCd

another example

2018-2-26
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Jersey

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-2-22 21:53
Hi Mark, do you have any ideas regarding post #72?  

Let me know what you think

I'm guessing you need to lose the crocodile clips and just use the harness.

Let me know how this works out

Mark G.
2018-3-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2018-3-7 11:23
I'm guessing you need to lose the crocodile clips and just use the harness.

Let me know how this works out

Hi Mark

I received the batteries for inspection. Inspire 1 TB48's  Unfortunately they have many if not all cells dead. I have not been able to get the dead cells to take any power (using special tools)

Looks like these are going to the garbage  

The first screenshot is a Inspire 2 battery that has three cells low and the other two showing the Inspire 1 TB 48's

Rich

IMG_9769.jpg IMG_9773.jpg IMG_9774.jpg

2018-3-7
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Jersey

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-3-7 21:00
Hi Mark

I received the batteries for inspection. Inspire 1 TB48's  Unfortunately they have many if not all cells dead. I have not been able to get the dead cells to take any power (using special tools)

Hiya Rich,

If the cells have been reading 0.0 V for any length of time, I would forget about them, maybe donor the good ones.

Mark G.
2018-3-8
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules