POLL: Would you purchase a harness to fix TB-47/8 batteries??
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2018-3-8 11:10
Hiya Rich,

If the cells have been reading 0.0 V for any length of time, I would forget about them, maybe donor the good ones.

agree with you Mark, it appears that all of the batteries have been sitting around with 0.0v on the cells. The internal resistance would be very high if you could get power into them.
Not able to jumpstart them and thinking about safety, its best to cut and run  
The harness is intended for a battery that is out of balance but not completely dead.

Rich
2018-3-8
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-3-8 14:03
agree with you Mark, it appears that all of the batteries have been sitting around with 0.0v on the cells. The internal resistance would be very high if you could get power into them.
Not able to jumpstart them and thinking about safety, its best to cut and run   
The harness is intended for a battery that is out of balance but not completely dead.

Take out the good cells and send them to me if you like Rich?
2018-3-9
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2018-3-9 09:46
Take out the good cells and send them to me if you like Rich?

Hi Mark

I do not think I would trust any of these cells. Some are over charged and beginning to gas, while others are completely dead.
They do not belong to me and will wait and see what the owner wants to do.

All the best
Rich

2018-3-9
Use props
Kokok
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1802159 ft
Philippines

Hi,

Im very interested in this. I have 2 TB48 batteries with a cell that registers a lower voltage than the rest. I am however located in the Philippines and ordering a couple of harness and shipping them here will surely cost a lot in terms of shipping, if it is even possible at all.

Perhaps you can tell me the name and/or brand of the harness plug so that i can try and source them out locally or in nearby countries?

Thanks!
2018-3-26
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kokok Posted at 2018-3-26 17:53
Hi,

Im very interested in this. I have 2 TB48 batteries with a cell that registers a lower voltage than the rest. I am however located in the Philippines and ordering a couple of harness and shipping them here will surely cost a lot in terms of shipping, if it is even possible at all.

Hi Kokok

Yes, you are pretty far away, but maybe we can work this out. Send me a PM to discus this further. Recently, I tried to fix 4 TB 48 batteries for one of the other members, that had mostly dead cells. I do not know how long the batteries sat around but the dead cells would not jump start. So if you have a battery with dead cells, it most likely will not be able to be corrected...  

All the best
Rich
2018-3-26
Use props
Kokok
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1802159 ft
Philippines

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-3-26 19:17
Hi Kokok

Yes, you are pretty far away, but maybe we can work this out. Send me a PM to discus this further. Recently, I tried to fix 4 TB 48 batteries for one of the other members, that had mostly dead cells. I do not know how long the batteries sat around but the dead cells would not jump start. So if you have a battery with dead cells, it most likely will not be able to be corrected...  

Pm sent sir, Thanks!
2018-3-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kokok Posted at 2018-3-28 04:32
Pm sent sir, Thanks!

Information provided by PM

Rich
2018-3-28
Use props
fanseae057bb
New
Flight distance : 161168 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Rich, are you still doing these?
2019-1-14
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fanseae057bb Posted at 1-14 12:42
Hi Rich, are you still doing these?

Hi

Yes, I can still make one up for you. Just PM me your email address for details.  

Rich
2019-1-14
Use props
fanseae057bb
New
Flight distance : 161168 ft
United Kingdom

Can you make me one please
2019-1-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fanseae057bb Posted at 1-17 06:51
Can you make me one please

Hi

I answered you in post #89. Just send me a PM  (Private Message) for details

All the best
Rich
2019-1-17
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ohhhhh RICHIE...... PM sent  

Randy
2019-1-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 1-17 18:23
Ohhhhh RICHIE...... PM sent  

Randy

Hi Randy
I received your information and will follow up very soon

Thanks for your interest

Rich
2019-1-17
Use props
fans1bbe585c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 436033 ft
United Kingdom

Hi do you still have any of these available? I would like one if possible thanks
2019-2-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans1bbe585c Posted at 2-7 03:20
Hi do you still have any of these available? I would like one if possible thanks

Hi

Yes, I can still make one up for you. Just PM me your email address for details.  

Rich
2019-2-7
Use props
fans1bbe585c
lvl.1
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2-7 07:53
Hi

How do I do that I can’t see an option to pm you.
2019-2-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans1bbe585c Posted at 2-7 08:41

I sent you a PM

hope that helps you
Rich
2019-2-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans1bbe585c Posted at 2-7 08:41

Sorry, I have not received anything from you yet

Rich
2019-2-9
Use props
James80
lvl.1
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2-9 08:57
Sorry, I have not received anything from you yet

Rich

Hi I have sent you a pm
2019-2-10
Use props
James80
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I have sent you a pm
2019-2-10
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

James80 Posted at 2-10 12:59
I have sent you a pm

Received.....

Thank you and will send info shortly

Rich
2019-2-10
Use props
SierraSarPilot
lvl.2

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2-10 16:34
Received.....

Thank you and will send info shortly

Rich,
Looking for one of your cables. Sent a PM. Thanks.
2019-4-6
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

SierraSarPilot Posted at 4-6 05:55
Rich,
Looking for one of your cables. Sent a PM. Thanks.

Hi,
I have sent you a PM

Rich
2019-4-9
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

SierraSarPilot Posted at 4-6 05:55
Rich,
Looking for one of your cables. Sent a PM. Thanks.

Like I said, I sent you information by PM and I have not been on the forum much these days. Please let me know if you are interested... either way.

thanks
Rich
2019-4-15
Use props
fans21d92728
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Mark Guille Posted at 2018-3-8 11:10
Hiya Rich,

If the cells have been reading 0.0 V for any length of time, I would forget about them, maybe donor the good ones.

Am I correct that the socket on top of the battery is;

Mini/Micro JSTH1.0 7 way Connector

Available on e-bay:

10 Sets JST SH 1.0MM 7-Pin Connector plug male female with Wire 100MM

Just need to splice onto:

6S 1P RC lipo battery balance charger plug Cable 22 AWG Silicon Wire XB

To fit my charger balance board.
2019-8-20
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans21d92728 Posted at 8-20 05:23
Am I correct that the socket on top of the battery is;

Mini/Micro JSTH1.0 7 way Connector

The photos are not very clear. This could work on the battery top socket but will not work on the balance side. I made these using custom parts.

You can try it.... looks like a cheap possible attempt

Rich
2019-8-20
Use props
keithatrochdaleUK
lvl.1

United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 8-20 16:14
The photos are not very clear. This could work on the battery top socket but will not work on the balance side. I made these using custom parts.

You can try it.... looks like a cheap possible attempt

Hi Rich

Well as far as my research shows the first one should fit the DJI battery end and the others are the same as lipo battery packs have, so should just plug in as you would to charge/balance a normal pack.

Both plugs have tails, so should be a simple job to join together.

kind regards

keith

2019-8-21
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

keithatrochdaleUK Posted at 8-21 05:25
Hi Rich

Well as far as my research shows the first one should fit the DJI battery end and the others are the same as lipo battery packs have, so should just plug in as you would to charge/balance a normal pack.

Okay, awesome...  I just could not confirm based on the photos.  As you already know the DJI battery socket connections uses a micro plug with small low amp wire ribbon cables. This is used to provide data information to the  intelligent circuit. This also provides feedback during charging. It is not intended for balance charging using third party LiPo chargers. Doing the bypass method, you need to be very careful not to push much current. I have a youtube video showing balancing the TB 47 battery and then slowly charging it back to 4.2v per cell. using the DJI stock charger to finish the charge to 4.3v per cell. Safety first, because harm to you or the hardware can happen due to high voltage. Using this procedure could save some DJI batteries, but use great care.  For others reading this post, if you do not have the tools or knowledge to do this work, I would suggest not to attempt repairs.

Hope this works out and all the best

Rich

Video Link:

2019-8-21
Use props
fans9ac59807
lvl.1

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 8-21 10:03
Okay, awesome...  I just could not confirm based on the photos.  As you already know the DJI battery socket connections uses a micro plug with small low amp wire ribbon cables. This is used to provide data information to the  intelligent circuit. This also provides feedback during charging. It is not intended for balance charging using third party LiPo chargers. Doing the bypass method, you need to be very careful not to push much current. I have a youtube video showing balancing the TB 47 battery and then slowly charging it back to 4.2v per cell. using the DJI stock charger to finish the charge to 4.3v per cell. Safety first, because harm to you or the hardware can happen due to high voltage. Using this procedure could save some DJI batteries, but use great care.  For others reading this post, if you do not have the tools or knowledge to do this work, I would suggest not to attempt repairs.

Hello Rich,

I am interested in a balance connector set.  Please PM me.

Thank you
2019-8-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans9ac59807 Posted at 8-22 00:18
Hello Rich,

I am interested in a balance connector set.  Please PM me.

PM sent
Rich
2019-8-23
Use props
keithatrochdaleUK
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi
Update to my previous post the connector on top of the DJI battery is;

Micro JST 1.25 7 Pin Female Connector with Wires CablesMicro JST 1.25 7 Pin Female Connector with Wires Cables

Just need to work out the correct connections,  will read the other posts now more carefully.

2019-8-29
Use props
WilsonFlyer
lvl.1
  • >>>

I know this is now a very old thread, but I would love to purchase a couple of these harnesses if they are still (ever really became) available.

I intend to fly my Inspire 1 for many years to come and am already working on my own adapted batteries, but I'd really like to be able to keep my 48s going for as long as I can and this would really help. Even if the harness is no longer available, if anyone has links to sourcing the proper plugs with rattails, that would really be great.

Thanks in advance.
2019-9-18
Use props
WilsonFlyer
lvl.1
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 8-21 10:03
Okay, awesome...  I just could not confirm based on the photos.  As you already know the DJI battery socket connections uses a micro plug with small low amp wire ribbon cables. This is used to provide data information to the  intelligent circuit. This also provides feedback during charging. It is not intended for balance charging using third party LiPo chargers. Doing the bypass method, you need to be very careful not to push much current. I have a youtube video showing balancing the TB 47 battery and then slowly charging it back to 4.2v per cell. using the DJI stock charger to finish the charge to 4.3v per cell. Safety first, because harm to you or the hardware can happen due to high voltage. Using this procedure could save some DJI batteries, but use great care.  For others reading this post, if you do not have the tools or knowledge to do this work, I would suggest not to attempt repairs.

PM Sent. Thanks!
2019-9-18
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>

Hi
I have been away from the forum this past year and sorry for the late response. I sent you a PM back and yes, I have some of the special DJI connectors left to make up these custom harnesses. Really only need one, as this can be a slow process and you should monitor the battery as you are working with this set up.

As noted above, you can buy third party connectors, but my experience is they do not fit very well.  Its not rocket science but takes time to solder all the connections and supply the best parts for the job.  
Rich
2019-9-19
Use props
WilsonFlyer
lvl.1
  • >>>

Has anyone done any realtime monitoring of the communications and pin streams going between the battery and the RC while under power? what we really need to know is what those pins are and what they carry in realtime and if there's some sort of handshake that we need to replicate in order to fool the Inspire.

I'm surprised somebody hasn't been down this road. This seems to be to be a much better long-term solutions where we could eliminate part and parcel of the TBxx's to begin with. Unless there's some sort of handshake, it ought to be fairly straight forward to provide every other piece of data the controller in the Inspire needs from the balance lead on any standard LiPo or LiHD on the market.

I applaud all the efforts here, and I fully intend on trying some of these experiments, but there's got to be a better long-term solution. Are we overcomplicating the problem here folks?

Anybody?
2019-9-20
Use props
eric.perry169gmail.com
lvl.1

United States

WilsonFlyer Posted at 2019-9-20 15:14
Has anyone done any realtime monitoring of the communications and pin streams going between the battery and the RC while under power? what we really need to know is what those pins are and what they carry in realtime and if there's some sort of handshake that we need to replicate in order to fool the Inspire.

I'm surprised somebody hasn't been down this road. This seems to be to be a much better long-term solutions where we could eliminate part and parcel of the TBxx's to begin with. Unless there's some sort of handshake, it ought to be fairly straight forward to provide every other piece of data the controller in the Inspire needs from the balance lead on any standard LiPo or LiHD on the market.

So I attempted to do this same thing my self, soldering all the cables together to find that the connector I used was very similar, but the size of the prong holes is too small... Ugh an hour waisted making this harness, and fail ....

Anyway, I put everything back together again, and now I'm running into an interesting/weird scenario.  The smart board on there now thinks a 70% charged battery is not charged, and when I look in the inspire 1, it says one of the cells is like 3.2Volts (which I've proven to be wrong with a multimeter checking each and every cell.  Not only that, the cell that reads 3.2 volts is the wrong cell that "went bad."  Oh and get this, the read out also showed all the cells rising in voltage... Very weird.

Anyone run into this issue?  It's very strange that this would be happening... Perhaps a bad pin?
2020-8-13
Use props
eric.perry169gmail.com
lvl.1

United States

eric.perry169gmail.com Posted at 8-13 18:57
So I attempted to do this same thing my self, soldering all the cables together to find that the connector I used was very similar, but the size of the prong holes is too small... Ugh an hour waisted making this harness, and fail ....

Anyway, I put everything back together again, and now I'm running into an interesting/weird scenario.  The smart board on there now thinks a 70% charged battery is not charged, and when I look in the inspire 1, it says one of the cells is like 3.2Volts (which I've proven to be wrong with a multimeter checking each and every cell.  Not only that, the cell that reads 3.2 volts is the wrong cell that "went bad."  Oh and get this, the read out also showed all the cells rising in voltage... Very weird.

I'v conlcuded that it is a bad pin on my batteries power board.... The smart board is operating correctly.  I have a bad pin that isn't reading correct voltage, so the smart board believes it's reading a really low voltage...  I also smell ozone, so I don't know if something got shorted in my testing...

Here's how I discovered I have a bad pin:

I tested each cell back to the black pin, each reading got progressively larger by roughly 4 volts, then I went a check each individual cell with the adjacent cell, all reading around 4.1 the lowest reading 3.9.  I then did the same process back to the black lead, but with each prong in the connector on the power board, they all added up except one.  Then I did each pin with the adjacent, and I've concluded that something has happened between this single pin and the associated battery pack.  

Unfortunately, I think this is as far as I'll go.  I'm still new to this, and I've never worked with building Lipo packs or anything, so tracking down the actual problem, and fixing it is not in my wheel house.

If anyone knows how, please let me know.  As of right now I have a perfectly good battery, but with a bad pin on the power board.  I also have a perfectly good smart board which a good harness.  Good cells, gosh, literally a pin is what's keeping me from getting this thing up and running.

That's unfortunate.  
2020-8-13
Use props
eric.perry169gmail.com
lvl.1

United States

Follow up on screwing up my DJI Inspire 1 TB-47 battery:

To lead off, I had a bad cell reporting about .2 below the rest of the cells.  I was going to attempt using a 798-DF13-7S-1.25C connector from Mouser's Website.  I was unsucessful... The connector is almost right, but the pins on the battery board are rectangular and not square like on the connector.  In my efforts to identify the ports on the battery board, i some how arced and fried something in the connector.  This resulted in that specific pin reading 2volts below the actual reading for that cell... This also resulted in the smart board believing the cell was failing even more, and the battery was at like 5% based on the voltage reading.

At this point I had a full battery charged to 4.2Volts on each cell except for on, which read 4.0 volts.  I'm Still figuring out how I can hardwire all the cells to the smart board connector (more on this later).  At the moment, i need to discharge the cell to a safe storage level so that I can work on it at a later date, and not damage the cells.  I've just gotten in FPV quad building, so I just so happen to have other LiPo packs around, and a balance charger, so I moved forward to mod the TB-47 battery to work with the charger.  

With the entire pack stripped of all wires, I was left with only the cells and the battery board which links all the cells together in series (well a 6s2p orientation, or 6 groups of 2 packs in parallel, and those 6 groups are in series)

First I need to Identify the cells.  Start with negative lead and identify which cell is which in searies (you'll see about a 4volt increase on the volt meter.  I used the solder points on top of the battery board to accomplish this.  

Second I need to order the right connectors for this.  I chose to go with an XT-60 female connector and a JST 7 pin male connector.  I took the XT-60 and solders black to negative and Red to Positive.  Easy enough.  Then I took the JST 7 pin connector. Mine had a red lead, which after checking the orientation in which it would go into my charger, was the correct lead to pair with the positive (red) side of the battery.  I then matched each cell with a black lead, making sure that the last black lead (which lined up with my charger's negative pin) soldered to the negative (black) side of the battery.

With all my soldering, I wanted to verify that my solders were good, and the correct information was present.  I took and multimeter, and I checked each pin on my balanced JST 7 pin connector to make sure it showed the 4.0-4.2 volts I was expecting.  I also checked for continuity on the black lead to ensure I was all connected...

With this all connected, I went ahead and added some cheap electrical tape insurance over top of it all.  I then plugge in my XT-60 on the charger, and followed that up with the JST 7 pin.  And Perfecto!  I got all my info.  Each cell read out in the same order as the DJI app, and I'm now able to set the charger to discharge to a storage charge capacity.

My charger is discharging at 0.3A, so it's goign to take a while, but it's keeping the battery cool, and it's actually letting me do something about this....

Here's what I propose as a fix:
Leave the JST connector on it, perhaps shorten it up.  Take the 7 pin connector that would have connected to the battery board (remember I have a bad connector on the board now) and cut it off.  I'll take all the leads and solder them to a JST-7 femaile connector.  Hoping I have enough room, I'll connect the two, cram them in the case, and put it all back together (removing the XT-60 and resoldering the battery terminal leads).  This would allow me to service this battery again if the same issue happens.

The other solution if this fails, direct colder the 7 pin, and if that fails, I make a really expensive 6S2p, 2x3S2p , 2x6s, or 3x4S batteries for my new found quad hobby.  

2020-8-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

been there done that without the confusion and extra soldering work.   The DJI socket was just enough different from the offerings on eBay.   sounds like you finally got it going. you can disregard my PM

To be clear, my special harness will not take all of this work and I figured all this out many years ago gained from lots of experience. Just plug into the top battery socket then clip on the alligator clips to the power leads and follow some simple instructions.  
for safety this should be done very carefully.

Sorry I have not been in the forum much anymore.
Rich  
2020-8-20
Use props
eric.perry169gmail.com
lvl.1

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 8-20 08:15
been there done that without the confusion and extra soldering work.   The DJI socket was just enough different from the offerings on eBay.   sounds like you finally got it going. you can disregard my PM

To be clear, my special harness will not take all of this work and I figured all this out many years ago gained from lots of experience. Just plug into the top battery socket then clip on the alligator clips to the power leads and follow some simple instructions.  

Rich, thanks.... I didn't mean to hijack your post, I just wanted to share in case someone makes the stupid mistake that I did.  Currently I'm in the process of (Crossing my fingers) relearning my smart controller.  I drained the battery to 3.3 Volts on the lowest cell, and I'm now charging it with the DJI charger.  We'll see in an hour.

To note, I would have much rather had your charging cable, this would have saved me a lot of grief....

So anyone out there who's having issues with unbalanced cells, try to get one of Rich's harnesses, it will be a life saver.
2020-8-21
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules