Iffy Service
610 3 2017-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bearhugger70
New
United Kingdom

So, I ordered my DJI Spark Fly More Combo back in June, and it was delivered on July 1st. Great. I also purchased the DJI Refresh warranty thing as I figured something could go wrong during a flight and it was best to have some kind of cover.

All was good until it came time to charge the controller. It took a couple of attempts to get the cable in the right way because the port wasn't a tapered and shaped one lilke most other micro usb connections seem to be. It was a squared corner one and there's nothing on the controller or the cable supplied that indicates the safe way to put the cable in.

So, that first time all seemed ok. A couple of weeks and a few flights later, it's time to charge the controller again, ready for a trip to Scotland where I was hoping to fly a few times, but this time the controller wouldn't charge at all. After trying 3 different cables I contacted DJI online and was told to update the firmware of both drone and controller which I did, but nothing changed, so they gave me the details to send the controller back and have it looked at.

As I was sorting this out I looked again over the controller and noticed that the little flat pin thing in the connector port was out of line and looked broken. And, lo and behold when DJI's engineer checked over the piece they ascertained that it was indeed broken. Damage that is apparently not covered in the warranty.

I queried this because to my mind, this is a design fault on the controller. There's nothing to tell you which way the cable should go into the hole, and the connector pin is so small it is very hard to see with the naked eye whether the flat part of the connector should be up or down.

DJI's european service rep refused to accept my assertion that whilst, yes, there was an error on my part, the design of the controller was poor and this compounded the issue, and they stuck by their quote of £142.50 to make the repair and return the controller.

Now, I can get hold of a brand new controller for anywhere between £116 and £150. The item was brand new, barely used and broke quicker than a pink wafer biscuit dunked in hot tea, but apparenlty the whole thing is my fault and DJI refuse to replace or repair the controller under the warranty, or even consider that under the Consumer Rights Act the supplied good should be as described and of a satisfactory quality and fit for purpose - something that it very obviously isn't when you consider how easy it seems to be to break with almost no effort or pressure on the part of the customer.

Their last communication finished with the words "This will be final" and so far they have ignored my communications asking to escalate this to a more senior representative or to provide me with the name/contact details of who to contact in order to take this further.

For a global company that apparently makes billions of pounds a year this whole standpoint is a little worrying, and on further investigation it would appear that very few people who have had to deal with DJI's customer service and repair facilities have anything good to report.

Why is the customer experience such a low priority for a company of this size? When you have a 70% market share I guess you can ignore the little guys and laugh yourselves to sleep at night whilst admiring the bank balance.

The whole experience has put me off buying from DJI again, and I was seriously considering purchasing a Phantom 4 or Mavic Pro in the future.

2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We apologize that you’re experiencing difficulties, your case has been escalated to appropriate department to look into. And we will have someone to contact you after review. Sorry for the trouble caused, your patience will be appreciated.
2017-8-17
Use props
Bearhugger70
New
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-17 04:12
We apologize that you’re experiencing difficulties, your case has been escalated to appropriate department to look into. And we will have someone to contact you after review. Sorry for the trouble caused, your patience will be appreciated.

Thank you Mindy.
2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

You are welcome, appreciate your patience and hope it will get solved soon.
2017-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules