POLL: DO YOU FOLLOW ALL THE RULES ALL THE TIME?
1234Next >
6296 129 2017-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone2621
lvl.3
Flight distance : 225292 ft
United Kingdom

DO YOU NEED TO TYPE IN CAPS ??????????????    Three threads \Polls in past few days "DO YOU FOLLOW THE RULES "  another called "HOW FAR DO YOU FLY " and the other is "DO YOU FLY OUTSIDE OF VLOS ".

Making a video that's open to interpretation of the rules is one thing. But for the largest community of drone owners to openly discuss how they break the rules in a time where laws are been drafted to restrict there use flight distance and height.   Is a whole new level of DUMB  especially when you have little tags next to your name showing your flight miles . Verified surveys that certain lobby groups would be happy to use as evidence in a argument for tougher restrictions .

Its not paranoia its a community of drone owners  openly discussing how they break the law. No one is going to knock at your door but the kind of retards that start polls  like this are helping towards laws that will force dji to update all systems to go no further than VLOS and no refunds offered . Melons wont be happy until the hobby is a group of men standing in barren field like vegetables flying there drones like yoyos

Anyway answer to your question is its none of your business if my self are other people break rules
2017-12-20
Use props
Silver Surfer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 46283 ft
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-8-17 18:49
I don't always fly according to the rule book, but I always fly using common sense.  If that makes sense.

The problem is that what is common sense for some may not be common sense for others.  Then there are those that don't have common sense at all but think they are using common sense.  That brings us to the question, What is common sense?  Is it written somewhere?  Is there a list of common sense things to do and a list of common sense things not to do?  Also who came up with common sense?  Did a bulb light up and they realized they have common sense?   Is it common sense to obey the law when the popo is in sight and is it common sense not to obey the law when there are no popo around.  Also why do they call it common sense.  If it is so common than why is it that not everyone has it.  Which brings me to the second question.  So what is sense.  Some have sense and some have no sense at all, and some are full of nonsense.  Which is what this is all about a total nonsense.

My take on this is that, it is common sense to obey the law and follow the rules. That is if one has any sense at all.
2017-12-20
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Drone2621 Posted at 2017-12-20 08:12
DO YOU NEED TO TYPE IN CAPS ??????????????    Three threads \Polls in past few days "DO YOU FOLLOW THE RULES "  another called "HOW FAR DO YOU FLY " and the other is "DO YOU FLY OUTSIDE OF VLOS ".

Making a video that's open to interpretation of the rules is one thing. But for the largest community of drone owners to openly discuss how they break the rules in a time where laws are been drafted to restrict there use flight distance and height.   Is a whole new level of DUMB  especially when you have little tags next to your name showing your flight miles . Verified surveys that certain lobby groups would be happy to use as evidence in a argument for tougher restrictions .

YES I NEED TO TYPE IN CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  TOO MUCH ANGRY LEADS YOU TO NOT USE YOUR COMMON SENSE OR FORUM RULES (NOBODY SEEMS TO OFEND YOU CALLING POLL CREATORS "RETARDS" SO PELASE BE NICE, BE POLITE, BE RESPECTFUL AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!
BTW, THANKS FOR THE ANSWER YOU GAVE TO MY QUESTION, "THAT IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS"...
2017-12-24
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-16 17:38
It was an autonomous programmed flight created with the Litchi app.

https://youtu.be/9OQugUKxl3E

Some beautiful footage there - catching the sunlight on the water in the turn and the coincident speed boat bow wave at just after the dry docks. Nice!
2017-12-27
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190259 ft
Australia

I generally try and adhere to CASA regulations to ensure that the fledgling drone community gets a chance to thrive rather than being legislated out of existence, and I think all drone pilots should fly responsibly and safely in order to not give this community a bad name. Having said that, drones 'out of the box' are capable of breaching most regulations and nearly every newbie pilot wants to test the limits of their new toys - range, height, etc. - so I suspect many non-malicious infractions occur all the time. One interesting aspect is current legislation doesn't account for fully autonomous flight modes (way point or RTH for example), and with advanced telemetry and FPV, the VLOS rule is limiting.... not to mention that my Alpine White Mavic Pro simply disappears in a bright sky ...
2017-12-28
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

Everybody knows what rules are made for right?

To be broken..............
2018-1-23
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

What rules. Problem with common sense it’s not so common anymore.
2018-1-23
Use props
Samoth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95640 ft
Belgium

I don't follow them in my country. I'm allowed to fly in my garden up to 8 meters high... If I want more, I need a license that costs much more than my Mavic Pro.

But I follow the rules when I visit another country: I got an authorization to fly in Croatia lately
2018-1-23
Use props
Ram-UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

I try and follow the rules as it’s not worth getting into trouble unnecessarily. I am too old for that and can’t be bothered. It’s not hard to do and I can’t afford to loose my drone. Most of the public spaces and parks have banned drones and only a few places left where we can legally fly.

It will be very hard to fly our drones if more and more people break the rules and ignore the law. I think rules are not that bad in the UK compared to rest of the Europe.

So fly responsibly. Good luck to all.
2018-1-23
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm curious... Let's say I'm flying my Spark - within VLOS and not over people and under the altitude limit  (I just chose that UAV because of some of the reports that I've read) and it just decides to disconnect and fly off on its own and.... I don't know, hits someone right in their head (thinking worse case here).   Who is at fault?  I was the one who was at the controls, but it went out of control. So, even though I was doing all the 'right' things, something very bad happened anyway.  What happens in that case?

By the way, I do own the Spark and have never let it more that a 100 feet away from me.  It's fun to fly, but I'm afraid to fly it as I do my other UAVs. I have the utmost faith in those (P$P and P3-4K), but not the spark.  

I'd rather not answer the question....... <.<      Ya know?
2018-1-23
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I follow the rules as strictly as I can.  There are a couple of situations where I violate the rules momentarily, such as when I have my drone fairly close and my LOS is interrupted by a Tree or small stand of trees for a few seconds and I am at an altitude just higher than the highest tree or obstruction in the area I am flying (> 90 feet).  For those that say they fly out of sight and think that is common sense, truly don't have a clue.  For example, I have been flying at a construction site with permission of the Project Manager and provide him gratis the pictures and video I have taken.  Several times a day helicopters or single engine aircraft have flown in the area under 400 feet, the helicopters in particular come by as low as 200 feet.  If I was flying from my house just 2200 ft away, It would be impossible for me to judge what to do as there is no depth perception at that range to know how to maneuver and descending would not be an option.   I see posts often where someone flies far away and then blames their aircraft loss on DJI.  I follow the "60 Minutes" rule -- if you go on a national TV to explain why your drone hit a plane, helicopter, crashed into a bus etc. and you are trying to explain how your common sense was so much better than FAA rules.  21 Years in the AF, flying F-4s for 11 of those and being briefed on accident reports where your first thought was "how stupid".  By the way,  I did one of those how stupid and lucked out.  Now I fly a drone and don't have to worry about killing myself, but I do worry about everyone else I could potentially hurt.  
2018-1-23
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

I think what is more interesting is the difference between 107 rules and hobbyist rules.  And, what the FAA considers a commercial flight can be tricky as well. The flight could be for hobby reasons and unpaid. But the second I put the footage on youtube (If I am running ads) it's now a commercial flight. Even If I don't make any money on it.  That said, I fly with common sense and personally treat every flight as a commercial flight. I think that's the best thing to do.
2018-1-24
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

I pulled the tags off of my pillows.
2018-1-24
Use props
duke123
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78930 ft
United States

I do the best I can when I can if I can and then I use common sense
2018-1-24
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Drone2621 Posted at 2017-12-20 08:12

Making a video that's open to interpretation of the rules is one thing. But for the largest community of drone owners to openly discuss how they break the rules in a time where laws are been drafted to restrict there use flight distance and height.   Is a whole new level of DUMB  especially when you have little tags next to your name showing your flight miles . Verified surveys that certain lobby groups would be happy to use as evidence in a argument for tougher restrictions .

I am with you on that. He is a no clue whatsoever, nothing between the ears he just want to get more points in here and on YT with no regards to consequences and how it affect everyone else.

Because of these kinds of idiots that we are getting more restrictions and more laws and DJI keeps limiting, tracking, everything their AC do.

We should NOT encourage and just ignore these kind of posts.

2018-1-25
Use props
Greg Glasson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284843 ft
Australia

From reading all of the replies to the OP it seems I have two choices.
1. Say I follow the rules and be ridiculed, called a liar, and idiot who has no idea how to have fun, a dronepolice, etc
2. Say I break the rules and be praised for agreeing with the OP.

2018-1-25
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-8-19 09:17
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM THE "YES ALL THE TIME" GUYS...

They only fly in the desert?

The pilot in command doesn't also need to be the visual observer. So yes you can stay within the rules as a pilot looking at a screen or goggles and have a visual observer with eyes on the drone.
2018-1-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

DroneDriver Posted at 2018-1-24 13:18
I pulled the tags off of my pillows.

Not to worry.  Thus far there is only the Mattress Police checking for tags.
2018-3-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Flying Wolf_NOL Posted at 2018-1-23 14:06
I'm curious... Let's say I'm flying my Spark - within VLOS and not over people and under the altitude limit  (I just chose that UAV because of some of the reports that I've read) and it just decides to disconnect and fly off on its own and.... I don't know, hits someone right in their head (thinking worse case here).   Who is at fault?  I was the one who was at the controls, but it went out of control. So, even though I was doing all the 'right' things, something very bad happened anyway.  What happens in that case?

By the way, I do own the Spark and have never let it more that a 100 feet away from me.  It's fun to fly, but I'm afraid to fly it as I do my other UAVs. I have the utmost faith in those (P$P and P3-4K), but not the spark.  

"So, even though I was doing all the 'right' things, something very bad happened anyway.  What happens in that case?"

It would depend upon your net worth.   
They are called Vultures and Ambulance chasers for good reason.
2018-3-26
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

Loved the credit roll!
2018-3-26
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

i live in a county that has 23 municipalities in which the most populated has only one traffic light, I reside in a municipality where i am about 5 miles away from the village,  all we have around here is bush and lakes, our municipality here consists of 800 people which are sparsely located, a lot of people here live off grid.
2018-3-26
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-3-26 08:41
i live in a county that has 23 municipalities in which the most populated has only one traffic light, I reside in a municipality where i am about 5 miles away from the village,  all we have around here is bush and lakes, our municipality here consists of 800 people which are sparsely located, a lot of people here live off grid.

there is only one other person who has a drone and that's my neighbor and he's the one who introduce me to the drone flying,  as far as I know we are the only two flying drones in an area that is probably 1000  or so square miles,  and most of it is like I say bush and lakes. so yes I break some rules.
2018-3-26
Use props
djiuser_0Y6oNJ4Y5KZm

You mean the Federal government imposed rules? If that's what you're talking about then I definitely do follow them?
2018-3-26
Use props
djiuser_0Y6oNJ4Y5KZm

Yeah in some countries the penalty would be death for breaking the drone rules. I'll guess there aren't too many drone hobbyist in places like that. On the upside, it's untapped market share for DJI if things improve in a civilized direction.
2018-3-26
Use props
BlackHawkDrone35
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41434 ft
United States

yup
2018-3-26
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

This is why all personal Hobby Drone Flying will eventually be totally banned.
2018-3-26
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

I recently decided to make sure all my flights are legal. So I called my local airport air traffic controller and found out how I could fly within their restricted air space, and I can. I just needed to know what their issues were, because they are not published online. I also contacted my local National Park Service folks to find out what's legal and what's not, and I found a local National Park where I can fly my Mavic Air. Their latest published regulations are not accurate, so I  could only find out what's really allowed by contacting them. What I can report, is that contacting your local resources to find out what's allowed and what's not makes a world of difference, and you definitely can not rely on what you read on the internet. Actually knowing that my flights are legal removes a whole bunch of subtle trauma or fear from the whole process, because I know I'm good. And talking with your local resources helps them evolve their own drone policies. I guess I'm suggesting communicating with your local resources.
2018-3-26
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-8-21 15:46
There are some guys who claim not to break any... would like to know where, how, or why the fly their quads... and if they have any fun doing it...

Having too much fun here in San Francisco! I'm about to go out to Fort Funston and shoot some Mavic Air video of the Pacific Coast, having contacted my local National Park Service resource to make sure I'm cool.

I am that guy that is trying to follow all the rules. I even called my local air traffic control center to fly within their airspace, and got permission.
2018-3-26
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

I am the E Posted at 2018-1-25 15:01
I am with you on that. He is a  no clue whatsoever, nothing between the ears he just want to get more points in here and on YT with no regards to consequences and how it affect everyone else.

Because of these kinds of idiots that we are getting more restrictions and more laws and DJI keeps limiting, tracking, everything their AC do.

SO YOU COMPLETELY FAILED IN IGNORING IT!!!
2018-3-27
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

Greg Glasson Posted at 2018-1-25 17:48
From reading all of the replies to the OP it seems I have two choices.
1. Say I follow the rules and be ridiculed, called a liar, and idiot who has no idea how to have fun, a dronepolice, etc
2. Say I break the rules and be praised for agreeing with the OP.

You also can say you break some rules, and not be an hypocritical...
2018-3-27
Use props
integer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 113355784 ft
Greece

i never flying over populated area
2018-3-27
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Yes, officer, I always follow all the rules.
2018-3-27
Use props
Thoarax
lvl.3
Flight distance : 488484 ft
United States

In the end it really will not matter the way you fly it. The actions of a few will effect the freedom of the masses. Laws will not  stop a dill hole from being a dill hole. Mandatory safety courses, Faa registration and any other fees or taxes they are constantly trying to impose on us will not stop an asshat from being an asshat.

The state of Maine enacted a law to prevent its citizens from smoking cigarettes in public parks because it offended a politician who saw an elderly man enjoying a cup of coffee and a smoke. It had nothing to do with the heath and well being of fellow park users, the man was not walking up to people blowing smoke in their faces. He was minding his own business. This was brought forth and enacted into law because one man did not like seeing another smoke. When freedoms like that can be taken they can take whatever they want.

I do not smoke, nor do I care if people smoke outside in a public park. That park is as much theirs as it is mine.

So what does it boil down to? You have no control over what is coming....You can fly around like a good little Boy Scout, following all the rules and regulations and it does not matter one bit because everyone is punished.
2018-3-27
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Generally I am a stickler for observing the rules, but have to admit I broke them last flight out. I wanted to test my MP and see if I had any transmission issues at distances, damn that sucker just kept going, off into the far distance into the Irish sea, skipping 50 feet above the waves before I lost the bottle/balls and hit RTH. The positive it flew farther than I would ever need to or ever want to fly and the RTH functioned wonderfully.  Would I do it again, probably not, but it gave me confidence with the drone so a positive result for me.
2018-4-1
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108550 ft
  • >>>
Canada

It’s kind of like driving a car.  There is nothing stopping you from driving without a licence and insurance or following the rules, but if you ever get caught...
2018-4-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

More I think about it, what's the big deal?  Why are drone pilots being held to such high standards.  I mean common folks!
How many times have we heard of large commercial jets being flown by drunk Pilots?  

Want scary?  Think of number of sober pilots - flying with hangovers.  
2018-4-6
Use props
Brendan1
lvl.2

United States

R&amp;L Aerial  Posted at 2017-8-18 07:49
Common sense doesn't exist anymore  in anyone younger than 50 years of age. I know this from my own personal observations...

So I am good flying with common sense as I am 53, and at such an age my eyesight is not what it used to be, so I fly out of LOS, and I fly in the evenings.
2018-4-6
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

I follow most of the rules most of the time. Or at least some of the rules some of the time

But this definitely wasn’t me!
www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?objectid=12029246&ref=twitter

As more and more of this stuff gets press coverage, I think it’s a matter of time before the rules get tightened up, here in NZ anyway. Either that, or the authorities get serious and prosecute more people who flout the laws. I know which one I’d prefer! Like the Chilean tourist who flew his drone by a scrub fire, which caused 7 helicopters (which were using monsoon buckets to drop water) to be stood down for some time while the fire raged across dozens more acres of land - he had his drone confiscated. That was it. Should have banged him up for a few months, then deported him - sent a strong message that if you’re caught, you get strongly penalised, so just don’t do it in the first place.

But nah, they will probably just let the reckless minority ruin it for the vast law-abiding majority!
2018-4-10
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

With age comes common sense and at 59 I fly with a lot of common sense.
I got to much to loose mainly my family plus my wife would kill me.
I hate to have that knock on the door is this drone yours and it hurt someone.
2018-4-12
Use props
ISAWHIM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 167 ft

Everyone speeds...

Everyone...

That places more people in danger than any drone operation.

People killed by civilian drones... (1, suspected)
People killed by U.S. military drones... (About 5,000 on record, ever.)

People killed by speeding vehicles, in the U.S. ... (~10,000 each year. That is about 100,000 each decade.)
People killed by NOT speeding vehicles, in the U.S. ... (~35,000 each year. Oddly more than speeding. We should all speed, it kills less people! Science and numbers are never wrong!)
2018-6-1
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules