motor assembly prone to failure because of tubes material?
2805 22 2017-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf7f1ef8e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3228383 ft
Argentina

Hi:
I have seen crash reports in at least a couple of inspire 2 groups. There are photos showing what seems to be the complete motor assembly "unglued" from the main leg tube. No bolts holding the piece in place and the tube seems to be not a full carbon fiber tube, but a tube (plastic? another composite?) with a carbon fiber wrap. And there is where the issue seems to lye. The motor assembly is hold glued only to the carbon fiber wrap, and this seems to get separated pretty easy from main the tube.
Do this generate a potential danger? It´s not clear when this could be and issue (some say that high temperatures could make the glue melt).
Shouldn´t DJI make an investigation an possible recall before we have more i2 falling from the sky? Or Am I just too paranoic?
Testing this assembly could one more item in the check list...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ ... id=1503029910991622

i2 arm

i2 arm

i2 arm II

i2 arm II
2017-8-17
Use props
fansf7f1ef8e
lvl.4
Argentina

2017-8-17
Use props
fansf7f1ef8e
lvl.4
Argentina

I meant "where the issue seems to lie"I´m sorry about my english, but I seem I was clear.
2017-8-17
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394291 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow , I think you really recorded the cause of some crashes , maybe set screws tapped into the tubes .
2017-8-18
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Seems like the inner tube wasn't fully glued to the outer wrap.  Any air in between them can cause a failure and separation.  One photo looks like a minimal amount of glue was present in the assembly, or possibly just air was there and the outer carbon fiber wrap's joint to the motor had no secure mount to the entire composite structure.

Here is an informative video on the composite tube assembly and maybe why it failed:  

Could be heat related too as it mentioned heat in excess of 130 degrees being an issue with the wrong glues.  I wouldn't rule out vibration from maybe a prop imbalance either (Glad I balanced my props in the DIY prop balancer mentioned elsewhere on here.).  There have been posted videos of these things violently shaking while hovering.
2017-8-18
Use props
Ale Reynoso
lvl.4
Argentina

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-8-18 05:37
Seems like the inner tube wasn't fully glued to the outer wrap.  Any air in between them can cause a failure and separation.  One photo looks like a minimal amount of glue was present in the assembly, or possibly just air was there and the outer carbon fiber wrap's joint to the motor had no secure mount to the entire composite structure.

Here is an informative video on the composite tube assembly and maybe why it failed:  Composite tube assembly.

And can the loose red propeller be causing this because of too much vibration?
2017-8-18
Use props
Ale Reynoso
lvl.4
Argentina

Ale Reynoso Posted at 2017-8-18 06:30
And can the loose red propeller be causing this because of too much vibration?

And I think for sure this assembly needs a failure proof fix (adding a sccrew?)
DJI Mindy?
2017-8-18
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

Ale Reynoso Posted at 2017-8-18 06:31
And I think for sure this assembly needs a failure proof fix (adding a sccrew?)
DJI Mindy?

Adding screw would risk cables in the tube and also could cause fracture to the tube. Drilling CF tube isn't the easiest task in general and furthermore by knowing that hole is drilled "blind" and cables inside.

We have seen rattling props causing vibration which perhaps was not included in design  What If -
scenarios. One good way to stress motor arms and motor arm gluing is to lay copter to ground a little sideways which causes rotational moment for motor assembly. All sideway force causes moment to arm motor assembly gluing area and in combination of excessive long term vibration we see them failing.

Furthermore motor assembly seems to be plastic and plastic is never easy to glue. Some plastic types are even "greasy/oily" like common molded Polyethylene and it releases glue seams over time.

This is really challenging issue for DJI. Hopefully they find a solution. Repairing rattling props would be first task to do.
2017-8-18
Use props
Ale Reynoso
lvl.4
Argentina

Kopteristi Posted at 2017-8-18 06:46
Adding screw would risk cables in the tube and also could cause fracture to the tube. Drilling CF tube isn't the easiest task in general and furthermore by knowing that hole is drilled "blind" and cables inside.

We have seen rattling props causing vibration which perhaps was not included in design  What If -

Thanks
And I meant not to drill the tube by myself. Just that DJI could ad a security fix for the motor assembly. Kind of well designed inner nut or something
2017-8-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

There are screws under the tube to fix the motor. And the material of arm is carbon fiber.
Did your drone get crashed? fansf7f1ef8e.
We suggest to send in the drone and make data analysis case by case. The tube and the motor are very firm and barely cause the crash accident.
Besides, we don't suggest to repair by yourself which may avoid the warranty.
2017-8-20
Use props
Ale Reynoso
lvl.4
Argentina

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-20 19:58
There are screws under the tube to fix the motor. And the material of arm is carbon fiber.
Did your drone get crashed? fansf7f1ef8e.
We suggest to send in the drone and make data analysis case by case. The tube and the motor are very firm and barely cause the crash accident.

It is not my drone, but really worried that this could happen to mine
Really curious how  this could happened to at least two drones (Follow the FACEBOOK thread. You can see in the youtube video the motor separated mid flight. And the photos of the popped off motor show two layers of material)
I suggested the autor of the posts (in a Facebook i2 group page) to contact DJI ASAP of course
Haven´t you received any of this cases?
Do you know for sure what was cause?
2017-8-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Ale Reynoso Posted at 2017-8-22 20:57
It is not my drone, but really worried that this could happen to mine
Really curious how  this could happened to at least two drones (Follow the FACEBOOK thread. You can see in the youtube video the motor separated mid flight. And the photos of the popped off motor show two layers of material)
I suggested the autor of the posts (in a Facebook i2 group page) to contact DJI ASAP of course

It is not possible the tube got broken for unknown reason in open area during mid-flight unless the drone was crashed something.
I would suggest to do not worry about it, it is solid enough to flight.
2017-8-25
Use props
Ale Reynoso
lvl.4
Argentina

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-25 01:37
It is not possible the tube got broken for unknown reason in open area during mid-flight unless the drone was crashed something.
I would suggest to do not worry about it, it is solid enough to flight.

Nice to hear that!
BTW, we were contacted by our dealer saying he received a message directly from DJI and we need to send back our i2 for replacement. He hasn´t give us any details: why? how fast is the turnaround?
And we were complaining for a couple of issuse:
constant loss of connection between master and slave even at 10-15m
Poor video signal range: freezing, stuttering, cuts even at 100-150m in 2.4 and 5.8 in every channel
red props loose and "rattling" sound when spinning them by hand (even a white "tight" prop makes this sound)
Left side of frame in X5S camera out of focus
"vertical scan" artifact in lightbridge downlink video (we have no updates on this. You said the engineers are working on this
Will all this issues be revised in the new unit?
this would be a brand new or refurbished unit?
Are you in a program of i2 recall or is something related this particular dealer or area? (Buenos Aires? Argentina? South America?)
I can give you the dealer details if you want
Thanks!
2017-8-27
Use props
skypal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 560256 ft
Germany

Well, this happens when you let some Chinese slaves with a salary of 5 bugs a day do the job.
2017-8-27
Use props
Ale Reynoso
lvl.4
Argentina

skypal Posted at 2017-8-27 10:11
Well, this happens when you let some Chinese slaves with a salary of 5 bugs a day do the job.

I´m sorry but I cannot get what you mean
Are you saying that DJI factory uses cheap hand labour workers and that reflects in DJI products quality?
2017-8-27
Use props
skypal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 560256 ft
Germany

yes and further on we (the customers) are the ones who have to find out which item is badly assembled.
2017-8-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Ale Reynoso Posted at 2017-8-27 09:49
Nice to hear that!
BTW, we were contacted by our dealer saying he received a message directly from DJI and we need to send back our i2 for replacement. He hasn´t give us any details: why? how fast is the turnaround?
And we were complaining for a couple of issuse:

Ales, if your dealer means the drone must be sent back to official repair center for replacement, which means it will need to be sent to the United States. And there should be a case number. The turnaround may be months since you locate in Argentina.
For your questions, I would like to verify something:
1. Have you transferred Master RC and Slave RC?
2.What mobile device are you using? Please close other problems in your mobile device during flight.
3. Is there foam in your propeller?
4. If there are vertical lines in all original pictures and videos, I also suggest to send in for evaluation.
2017-8-27
Use props
Ale Reynoso
lvl.4
Argentina

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-27 23:23
Ales, if your dealer means the drone must be sent back to official repair center for replacement, which means it will need to be sent to the United States. And there should be a case number. The turnaround may be months since you locate in Argentina.

We do not have a case number. The dealer didn´t gave one. They ony said that there is an "RMA" with limited expiring time.
We don´t want to send the Inspire back without knowing:
why should we send it?
Exactly how much time we are going to be without our drone?
The dealer said: it´s a recall. They are going to give you a new one.
How much truth is there in that?
2017-8-27
Use props
Ale Reynoso
lvl.4
Argentina

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-27 23:23

Don´t you know why is there a recall from DJI?
The dealer can´t or doesn´t want to answer this:
Why is the recall?
Are we getting a brand new i2?
All the issues solved in the new unit ? (red props included)
Exactly ow much it´s going to take? (they said minimum four days... maximum four months?... LOL?)

DJI Mindy:
Can you answer this?
2017-8-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Ale Reynoso Posted at 2017-8-28 23:09
Don´t you know why is there a recall from DJI?
The dealer can´t or doesn´t want to answer this:
Why is the recall?

Ales, we never recall the aircraft officially. I think what your dealer means is the drone will need to be sent in for evaluation and repair.
For propellers, as the propeller and propeller mounting plate are plastic parts made through injection molding, there might be an engineering tolerance with them. The shipped Inspire 2 aircraft have been tested and quality assessment has been conducted. The tolerances are within a standard range. This issue does not affect the normal use and flight safety.
If the drone is sent back from Argentina, the turn around may be longer, but we cannot provide the precise time frame since we have no idea when the package will arrive.
I suggest to double confirm with your dealer about the process they provided, or please contact our online chat directly, who will guide you to send in. I think it will be more efficient.
Support: http://www.dji.com/support
2017-8-29
Use props
Ale Reynoso
lvl.4
Argentina

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-29 01:22
Ales, we never recall the aircraft officially. I think what your dealer means is the drone will need to be sent in for evaluation and repair.
For propellers, as the propeller and propeller mounting plate are plastic parts made through injection molding, there might be an engineering tolerance with them. The shipped Inspire 2 aircraft have been tested and quality assessment has been conducted. The tolerances are within a standard range. This issue does not affect the normal use and flight safety.
If the drone is sent back from Argentina, the turn around may be longer, but we cannot provide the precise time frame since we have no idea when the package will arrive.

OK
Thanks.
We do not want to send our i2 unless it is totally necessary (because of the long turnaround mainly). We would only send it if there is a hidden danger in flying it as it is, but this is not the case, isn´t it?
I was worried about the leg tubes sepparating midflight, but if you say this must be only after a big stress in the part (like a crash or a big hit), I think we can fly with confidence. I´m taking your words. Den´t let us down DJI Mindy!
2017-8-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Ale Reynoso Posted at 2017-8-30 04:17
OK
Thanks.
We do not want to send our i2 unless it is totally necessary (because of the long turnaround mainly). We would only send it if there is a hidden danger in flying it as it is, but this in not the case, isn´t it?

We will be responsible for the non-pilot error, no worries, Ale.
2017-9-1
Use props
lolders
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Its interesting for sure.. One thing I noticed since day one was how grippy the landing gear pads are..  And how much stress that would cause when people go in and out of transport mode on difference surfaces.. could cause this to weaken on all 4 points from skipping across the table.. I always hold my drone in hand when using the landing gear to avoid any stress.
2017-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules