Quick release props - install notes
3320 17 2015-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wolftj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

Got props and locks installed. Using the instructions under "downloads" there are some error and omissions, of course...

1. According to the instructions one of the two props in each package will have a white dot on the hub, to match the lighter colored stud and white dot on the plastic part of the new locking collar. There is no white dot on any of the props.

tip: Take one of the original props with the colored hub caps and match the profile up so you can tell whether it goes on the light or dark side.

2. The instructions don't specify the tool needed for the new locks.

3. The fasteners included look like hex drive, but they are T8 torx heads.

4. Omission: there is no torque setting for the screws. This is pretty important I think. Guarantee someone will overtorque and strip the threads or deform the motor housing.

Pretty good setup once done, very quick to remove props now. Nice.

Instructions say release hubs only good for 200 flights. That BS.

Tim
2015-3-28
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Tim,

When you say release hubs  I presume you mean the parts you screw onto the motor.  Is there any parts inside the rotor blade that may wear out  in a similar fashion ?
2015-3-29
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tim,

When you say release hubs  I presume you mean the parts you screw onto the motor.  Is there any parts inside the rotor blade that may wear out  in a similar fashion ?
2015-3-29
Use props
wolftj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

GB44 - DJI says the hubs, or the securing spring and mounting plate, on top of the motor have a 200 flight recommended life.

From the install guide:
"The propellers, securing springs, and mounting plates have an approximate lifespan of 200 flights. Inspect them regularly to determine if they should be replaced sooner."

I assume that is from concern that the spring steel pieces may lose some of their spring after that many install / removal cycles. This is just supposition though as they don't explain any further.
2015-3-29
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

wolftj@mindspri Posted at 2015-3-29 19:56
GB44 - DJI says the hubs, or the securing spring and mounting plate, on top of the motor have a 200  ...
I assume that is from concern that the spring steel pieces may lose some of their spring after that many install / removal cycles. This is just supposition though as they don't explain any further.

As I understand, It is not the securing spring steel componant that will wear, but rather the plastic mating pieces on the adaptor and rotors.  This would make sense, as they must rub against each other in order to mate successfully.

cheers

Jason
2015-3-29
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ph02on Posted at 2015-3-29 20:59
As I understand, It is not the securing spring steel componant that will wear, but rather the pl ...

So that would also indicate that props should also be replaced after 200flights.  Something to remember when changing out the securing clips.
2015-3-29
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

And why don't they screw down on the posts?
2015-4-2
Use props
MJDMike
lvl.3

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-29 21:39
So that would also indicate that props should also be replaced after 200flights.  Something to rem ...

I would think so, as they will likely wear at the same rate as the plastic hubs.  I doubt the steel clips will lose much of their spring.

My guess is all of the components will last a long time.

I plan to just inspect them as change props and hubs all at the same time, as needed.  Not a huge expense.
2015-4-2
Use props
drklion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2712825 ft
  • >>>
United States

You are right, no white dots on the props which makes no sense.  What I did was take a black sharpie and colored in the I in the DJI logo.  This tells me this prop is the black when I need to know on my next flight.
2015-4-2
Use props
dm.booth.hotmai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tim have you seen a You Tube video yet for the correct fixing, that would be great if you fancy doing one?
2015-4-2
Use props
janton9736
New

United States

Just got my new Inspire. Would someone please post a pic of the new props? I'd like to make sure I got the correct ones...don't want to lose the bird
2015-4-23
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1045558 ft
United States

My T8 seems a little small for these screws. When I try to tighten the screws, it slips. Is anyone else using anything different?  
2015-4-23
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

I also read on anther thread that the metal piece was super loose after flight, can some one shed some light on this. I was thinking that he may had tighten the quick release too tight!
2015-4-23
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Although the props don't have a white dot, if you look on the top of the prop above the leading edge, about an inch out from the hub, you can see the model number of the prop: "1345S".  On the CLOCKWISE prop, it's "1345S CW."  That's how you can tell them apart.  (Remember that the CW prop will spin CW in operation, but that means when you install it, it's the one that TWISTS CCW, not CW).
2015-4-23
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

Geez. Starting to think the original prop locks might be more reliable. This thread is making me have second thoughts about replacing my current props.

Even though the prop locks are a PITA it sounds like in the long run they might actually be safer. Thoughts?
2015-4-23
Use props
greg7140
lvl.2

United States

bostonlines@gma Posted at 2015-4-24 10:03
My T8 seems a little small for these screws. When I try to tighten the screws, it slips. Is anyone e ...

The bolts, at least that were with my adapters use a standard metric 2.0mm hex driver...not a torx drive.

Also as described by instructions, two adapter and two props had the "white" dot, I guess it was more "off white" but still was a "dot" to indicate the CCW Prop and adapter.

2015-4-24
Use props
dentin11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155646 ft
United States

these new props and locks look better on the bird, but I too wonder if the original prop locks were more reliable?  Hope DJI has done extensive testing before releasing these newer style!  Only advantage with these newer ones they are " quick release",  hopefully not during flight.
2015-4-24
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Actually I think these new props are very reliable.  There was one instance of one of the spring assemblies being misthreaded from the factory - that was the one that ended up loose.  The majority of our flights here have been with the new quick release props after we installed the assemblies here.  The screws come pretreated with locktite.  Haven't had a single problem, nor have we had to retighten anything.  They just work.  As to "quick releasing" in flight - you have to press down on the prop and counter-rotate it to remove it.  There's no way for that to happen in flight.  Also, the props themselves seem better made - more durable and better balanced from the factory.  Overall we've been pretty darned happy with them.
2015-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules