Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Filming Solar Eclipse
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michael Starley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Hey guys .

Will the solar eclipse damage the sensor of the hero 4+ Black gopro ?

Have not checked with gopro yet .

I know that there is not a lot of real world  data , due to the fact that this type of event does not happen often .
Just hoping that someone on here has had experience filming a welding arc in progress .

I have not .
Do I need to fasion a filter from the lens of a pair of NASA Approved Solar Eclipse Viewing Glasses ?

2017-8-18
Use props
Kuya Kano
First Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

This may sound like a cheap way of filtering it, but I do see people buying cheap, cardboard cutout glasses with eclipse filters to watch the solar eclipse.  The lenses are thin plastic and could be cut to shape and tape over the P4P camera.  The other option I was thinking about was merely keeping the camera pointed away from the sun (just like we're told to with our eyes) until the very moment of the eclipse, but be ready to adjust the iris on the remote.
2017-8-18
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

You can point a Hero 4 at the sun, many people do at sunset with no problems.  

However during the eclipse the sun will be overhead and much brighter than at sunset, it will probably be OK for 10 seconds but if you put the camera on a tripod and leave it pointing at the sun for a 30 seconds then the sensor is quite likely to overheat depending on how clear the sky is.  If it overheats then it will take a few minutes to cool back down, and then will probably work OK again.

So use eclipse glasses as a filter during the partial eclipse, remove the filter when you get to the diamond ring stage and then replace it again when the sun returns.

If you mount a cut out piece of eclipse glasses filter using a plastic bottle top that will fit over the lens barrel then it is easy to pop it on and off almost instantly.

You may have a problem if the Hero 4 is mounted on a phantom - it wont be able to look up to see the sun!
2017-8-18
Use props
DustMan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 973373 ft
United States

I was wanting to do the same thing and I'm guessing everyone on this site would like to also but well, this post does put the reality out there. The sun is going to be up above!!! LOL dangit man.
2017-8-18
Use props
Michael Starley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Yep . Too High In The Sky For Me .

Thanx for the input .

I opted for a zero gravity lawn chair and a 6 pack .

Enjoyed every minute of it .
2017-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules