Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Should I update firmware from V01.02.0602?
1574 15 2017-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DezLoreen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47411 ft
Canada

Hi all, it has been a while since I have flown, so I figured it best to update my firmware and app, (first time using DJI Go 4)
I am flying a P4, haven't had it in the air since earlier this winter.

Should I stay with the firmware I have now?

thanks!

2017-8-18
Use props
Cinefilms
Second Officer
Flight distance : 118829 ft
Dominican Republic

Don't.

See through the forum all firmware issues.

Best,
2017-8-18
Use props
fansb885c69e
Second Officer
Flight distance : 349419 ft
Canada

It worked just fine for me. I like the new features and some problems were fixed. The number of people on the forum having problems seems to be small considering the number of P4's out there.
2017-8-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

I really wouldn't do any updates just now if I were you - particularly if your drone showed no symptoms of unreliability the last time you flew it. There are plenty of tales of woe on these forums to put you off.  I was lukcy enough to heed the warnings, and have not chanced an update. Consequently, I'm still flying around confidently with the earlier setup, and no hassles.
2017-8-18
Use props
DezLoreen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47411 ft
Canada

Thank you everyone!
2017-8-18
Use props
SRF44
lvl.1
Flight distance : 137211 ft
United States

According to current press releases, they should have a new update around September. If your Phantom is flying fine, you should probably wait.
DJI Press Release Reuters World News
2017-8-18
Use props
Gablopez
First Officer
Flight distance : 515679 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't update... unless you like gambling
2017-8-18
Use props
Wpgubaru
lvl.4
Flight distance : 254646 ft
Canada

Please download  at https://github.com/jezzab/. I can't find the instructions I used, I'll have to check my pc, but I remember when you downgrade the P4 back you must do it twice. The first time you turn off and on your phantom 4 it'll be slow and the second time it'll be normal fast turning off and on. I found this video on youtube. Hope it can help. PS do at your own risk of coarse.

2017-8-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend you to check the current performance first. If everything works well, there is no need to update as it is not mandatory.
2017-8-18
Use props
wangrincreation
First Officer
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

Nobody shouldn't upgrade if there is no way to downgrade. Simple!
2017-8-18
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

To upgrade or not is always a bit of a gamble.  I experienced no issues and the new features were welcome.  However many who post here did have problems.

What we dont know if what percentage of DJI users experienced problems.  Is it 10% or more, a few percent...or a tiny percentage.  We also dont know whether its random or related to some series of drone manufacture dates...or some other factor.  We have seen little activity here from DJI on the issue in the six weeks since the update.

Other companies, like Apple, sometimes have problems with updates.  When it affects a significant percentage it doesn't take long for company recognition of the issue.  That tends to be followed by pulls or fixes usually within days when when they do recognize it.  The lack of that here could be an indication of the percentage affected.
2017-8-19
Use props
gyrex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Maldives

If you'd like to turn your P4 into a flying missile which is seriously dangerous to the public, then yes, you should upgrade.
2017-8-20
Use props
Trump
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139295 ft
United States

No, No No, No, NO!
2017-8-20
Use props
Trump
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139295 ft
United States

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-8-19 02:15
To upgrade or not is always a bit of a gamble.  I experienced no issues and the new features were welcome.  However many who post here did have problems.

What we dont know if what percentage of DJI users experienced problems.  Is it 10% or more, a few percent...or a tiny percentage.  We also dont know whether its random or related to some series of drone manufacture dates...or some other factor.  We have seen little activity here from DJI on the issue in the six weeks since the update.

It is much more than 10%! Just in this forum it is much higher than 10%, I don't know where you are getting a "Tiny Percentage". I know three other people who are not on this forum that have these issues. Do you want to fly, or do you want features and restrictions. That is the question. People are sucked in by the visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads, of all those features that DJI puts out there, then they find out they can't fly here, they cant fly there, they cant fly unless they log in, etc,, and then when they can, it is a potential disaster waiting to happen because of dngerous firmware. If people were smart, they would never update for any reason. Sadly they will though, because they are compelled to, because of the need to have a better high, all those new cool things, just like someone addicted to drugs
2017-8-20
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

Trump Posted at 2017-8-20 05:37
It is much more than 10%! Just in this forum it is much higher than 10%, I don't know where you are getting a "Tiny Percentage". I know three other people who are not on this forum that have these issues. Do you want to fly, or do you want features and restrictions. That is the question. People are sucked in by the visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads, of all those features that DJI puts out there, then they find out they can't fly here, they cant fly there, they cant fly unless they log in, etc,, and then when they can, it is a potential disaster waiting to happen because of dngerous firmware. If people were smart, they would never update for any reason. Sadly they will though, because they are compelled to, because of the need to have a better high, all those new cool things, just like someone addicted to drugs

What I referred were the 3 possible ranges...with tiny being the last.  We dont know the actual value.

I deal with a lot of different gear and systems, most of which have updates from time to time.  Percentage wise, I see few problems across the board.  Issues tend to be more common with beta releases from vendors, which is expected.

Its clear that many who post here have seen issues with the most recent P4 update.  The downgrade info posted has helped some of those get back a working drone.  For many others, they updated, it worked, they continued.  

2017-8-21
Use props
veekman530
United States

i really wished i had come on here and asked your question before i upgraded my P4 firmware last week. now i have a really beautiful, $1000 paper weight! i'd highly recommend against upgrading.

2017-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules