Gimbal strange after firmware update
2278 35 2017-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaneWithADrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 649524 ft
Denmark

Updated the Phantom 4 a week ago to the latest version.

Now the gimbal acts strange:
Here is what I do at startup.
1. Turn on everything. All is connected ok and I have visual from the camera.
2. Take off...no problem.
3. Start recording...hmm. Here te wonky things start. The recording takes 20-30 seconds to start wheraafter the gimbal suddenly banks completely to the right. I can see the landing gear.
4. Gets an "aircraft disconnected" and then reconnect.
6. Camera and gimbal starts to return very slowly to center position, but horizon is off.

I have calibrated gimbal, IMU...you name it. I have even tried to re-apply the firmware.

NOTE: The max speed in Sports-mode is now limited to around 70 kph even with tail wind. Before the update I was able to get it to around 90 kph.
The copter seems more unstable in te air than before.

Conclusion:
I can live with the speed limitation (its not a race drone), but the "start recording" and gimbal problem is very annoying. Especially for important photo/video shots.

Come on DJI. Fix these bugs. Otherwise a great product.

BR
DaneWithADrone

2017-8-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Dane, could you please provide us with the videos from the drone and use your mobile to record the drone's reaction of this case for a better confirmation? Appreciate it.
2017-8-19
Use props
DaneWithADrone
lvl.1
Denmark

I Will Record One asap
2017-8-19
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 170988 ft
New Zealand

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-19 00:03
Hi Dane, could you please provide us with the videos from the drone and use your mobile to record the drone's reaction of this case for a better confirmation? Appreciate it.

I think this covers issue #3 to #6...quite a few users have this issue. It has been mentioned a bit throughout the forums already.
Local NZ distributor recommends waiting for a new firmware from DJI.

2017-8-19
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Yeah, what he^^^^^^ said.
2017-8-19
Use props
DaneWithADrone
lvl.1
Denmark

Here is my short video of the problem.

2017-8-20
Use props
Gablopez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 515679 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same behavior a lot of us are experiencing:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D368%26typeid%3D368
2017-8-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Thor

This looks like the same issue first noticed after last update:- http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D368%26typeid%3D368
2017-8-20
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.3
New Zealand

Come on, Thor! Do us all a favour and get this addressed by the engineers.

While we unable to record in 4K our hardware is no better than a cheap 1080 drone purchased off AliExpress.

DJI's reputation is taking a serious battering all over the Globe!
2017-8-20
Use props
Dmitry Kolotil
New
Belarus

Updated the Phantom 4  two week  ago to the latest version.
There was a shaking after the last firmware
What to do?
2017-8-20
Use props
DaneWithADrone
lvl.1
Denmark

Dmitry Kolotil Posted at 2017-8-20 22:51
What to do?

Yep. I see the same instability of the copter - even in zero wind conditions.
2017-8-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

DaneWithADrone Posted at 2017-8-20 07:08
Here is my short video of the problem.
Youtube clip of gimbal problem/camera reset

Thanks for the video. Had you tried another SD card? If you have tried, could you please name the card you have tested? I am collecting the data and feedback to our engineers. Thank you so much.
2017-8-20
Use props
DaneWithADrone
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-20 23:25
Thanks for the video. Had you tried another SD card? If you have tried, could you please name the card you have tested? I am collecting the data and feedback to our engineers. Thank you so much.

I will check the brand and model of the SD card asap. But it is a very fast one and a known brand.
2017-8-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

What to do?

For the gimbal shake issue, our engineers are working on it. Thanks again for the feedback, hope we address it quickly.
2017-8-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-20 09:26
Hi Thor

This looks like the same issue first noticed after last update:- http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=104560&extra=page%3D2%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D368%26typeid%3D368

Thanks for bringing us the attention, I noticed that DJI Diana had forward your case to our engineers they had replied to your thread, since they got the attention, I will also inform the engineers your situation and help to find a solution quickly. Please wait patiently.
2017-8-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-20 23:39
Thanks for bringing us the attention, I noticed that DJI Diana had forward your case to our engineers they had replied to your thread, since they got the attention, I will also inform the engineers your situation and help to find a solution quickly. Please wait patiently.

Thank you for your prompt response Thor, hopefully this will be resolved shortly.
2017-8-21
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.3
New Zealand

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-20 23:25

The issue happens with both SD cards shown here.

The blue Lexar 16 GB card came with the drone from new...the gold Adata card is U3 32GB.
20170821_212058.jpg
2017-8-21
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft
United States

What to do?

There is what is called a ground effect, if you are to close to the ground the air current caused by the blades will push the copter around. Mine does the same thing.
2017-8-21
Use props
DaneWithADrone
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-20 23:39

My sd card is a Sandisk Extreme 64 gb v30 u3
2017-8-21
Use props
DaneWithADrone
lvl.1
Denmark

ATJ Posted at 2017-8-21 03:53
There is what is called a ground effect, if you are to close to the ground the air current caused by the blades will push the copter around. Mine does the same thing.

Yes I know, but I have seen this shaking at an altitude of 2 to 3m and above
2017-8-21
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft
United States

DaneWithADrone Posted at 2017-8-21 08:01

Believe it or not 2 or 3 meters will do it.
2017-8-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

CentralOtagoKiw Posted at 2017-8-21 01:23
The issue happens with both SD cards shown here.

The blue Lexar 16 GB card came with the drone from new...the gold Adata card is U3 32GB.

Thanks for the feedback, I had forwarded this to our engineers, I'll reply you once I heard from them. Thanks for your patience.
2017-8-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

DaneWithADrone Posted at 2017-8-21 07:58
My sd card is a Sandisk Extreme 64 gb v30 u3

Thanks for the feedback, I had also forwarded this to our engineers, I'll reply you once I heard from them. Thanks for your patience.
2017-8-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

DaneWithADrone Posted at 2017-8-21 08:01

Hi Dane, our engineers are aware of this case and working on it. We will have this case optimized via firmware upgrading. Sincerely sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
2017-8-22
Use props
Wpgubaru
lvl.3
Flight distance : 254646 ft
Canada

Just roll back the firmware and it'll be fine. I wouldn't trust dji and their so called "updates" anymore. My drone fly's fine since rolling back. Why ruin a good thing.
2017-8-22
Use props
MadJacko
New
Netherlands

Same problems here!!!!! And shaking on 20 meter height. Yesterday i had the same problem.

Greetz Jacko
Netherlands
2017-8-22
Use props
AVDB
lvl.1

Belgium

The gimbal of my P3S also tilts without any reason, couldn't record it yet. Gimbal goes crazy and turns shaky in all possible directions. IMU and gimbal calibration couldn't help on this. Is this also known by the engineers Thor?
2017-8-22
Use props
jburkett
lvl.2

Hong Kong

sorry for that... we have notice this problem last week and finally found out the reason yesterday , we will release the firmware as soon as possible TAT
2017-8-24
Use props
pwr406
lvl.2
Flight distance : 344600 ft
United States

Just throwing in that I also experience the "bucking" when flying. Doesn't matter if I'm 3 ft off the ground or 50ft. Please rush the update....I haven't been able to fly my P4 with confidence since I upgraded the firmware a month ago...
2017-8-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hi, Dane, for the Phantom 4 recording issue, we have a beta for you to test. If you would like to be the tester, PM me your DJI email account and reply this thread to let me know you had provided your address. Thank you very much.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

I had received your account and the beta should be available now. Please check. Let me know if you haven't got it. Thank you.
2017-9-27
Use props
DaneWithADrone
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-27 21:21
I had received your account and the beta should be available now. Please check. Let me know if you haven't got it. Thank you.

Got it and installed it. But I still have issues with the gimbal. Usually the horizon is very difficult to get straight. I have to land and do a gimbal calibration. The quirky/strange behaviour I posted earlier has gone though.
2017-10-10
Use props
Streetmagus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1398376 ft
United States

I am having this same problem. How can we roll back firmwares? My drone flew fine. Now I am under the latest firmware and having that camera/gimbal reset issue while recording...
I've reinstalled the firmware via DJI Assistant 2 and also with the iPad, re-calibrated gimbal/IMU/compass many times and still happens. I have a wedding shoot coming in less than a month...
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

DaneWithADrone Posted at 2017-10-10 08:04
Got it and installed it. But I still have issues with the gimbal. Usually the horizon is very difficult to get straight. I have to land and do a gimbal calibration. The quirky/strange behaviour I posted earlier has gone though.

So it means you always need to do the gimbal calibration even if you had done so very lately, right? Or is it the gimbal tilts every time you restart the drone? If it tilts slightly, you can adjust the gimbal Roll during a flight
2017-10-11
Use props
bernardren07
Second Officer
Flight distance : 48504 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Look like same as me. When used video and happen pop up show "No signal" and video become hanged and turned into gray. After few second then back to normal and video already stopped. Old android app v4.1.9 problem. Now change to new v4.1.10 app. Tested stable. I have not try yet 15 to 19 min flight if have issue or not. Today a bad weather. Heavy rain lol. U can try change to latest app and test.
2017-10-11
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

The shaking appears to be the effect of an incorrectly calibrated gyroscope or missinformation from the gyroscope constantly trying to correct itself.
This has been noted many times since last update.
But im only an electronics technician so what would i know.
2017-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules