Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Request support for Laowa 7.5mm lens.
2053 9 2017-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

This is may be the widest non-fisheye lens out there, and they made an excellent lightweight model for aerial work but it is not computerized with internal fimrware to talk to the X5S camera.  No contacts at all on the back of it.

Can a fully manual lens mode be added to GO 4 or the X-series cameras so it - or others without the contacts - be used without error or unknown lens messages popping up?

Thanks.

2017-8-19
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

My understanding is that the lens works just fine, just put it to infinity and Aperture to 5.6 manually. As for any error messages I am not sure.
2017-8-19
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-8-19 18:03
My understanding is that the lens works just fine, just put it to infinity and Aperture to 5.6 manually. As for any error messages I am not sure.

It operates very odd.

Focus is puzzling.  If I set it to something at infinity in Still Camera mode, and then flip the camera to Movie mode, the focus appears to change on the screen.  Could be the image in the still camera is sharper, and the video camera shot is a compressed fraction of a JPG on the screen so more soft.  Dunno why it changes, but it does in GO 4 and I would think it impossible to change the focus being a manual lens.

Still photos are a problem as the aperture seems randomly set in GO 4 regardless of the lens since it cannot communicate with the camera.    I cannot access shutter speeds and changing the exposure value has no effect on the still.  Movie mode is less problematic for some odd reason.  I can change ISO but the rest of the operation is spotty and why the camera should have a setting to ignore a lens that cannot communicate with the camera to allow full manual operation where GO 4 seems to prevent that as far as stills go.

Need some more experimenting with it, but it is a sharp lens.

2017-8-19
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-8-19 19:21
It operates very odd.

Focus is puzzling.  If I set it to something at infinity in Still Camera mode, and then flip the camera to Movie mode, the focus appears to change on the screen.  Could be the image in the still camera is sharper, and the video camera shot is a compressed fraction of a JPG on the screen so more soft.  Dunno why it changes, but it does in GO 4 and I would think it impossible to change the focus being a manual lens.

Very strange that there is no communication with this lens, it is very tempting with such a wide lens without "fish eye" and @ f2 but might be a deal breaker not to have proper control.
2017-8-20
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-8-20 05:14
Very strange that there is no communication with this lens, it is very tempting with such a wide lens without "fish eye" and @ f2 but might be a deal breaker not to have proper control.

I agree, it is odd they didn't include some communication to the camera itself.  Maybe some proprietary thing, but I thought the MFT format was open sourced over the other brands.

It does stunning work on video, just the GO 4 controls are odd.  I should be able to go into Manual mode and select a shutter speed, etc. but it isn't easy.  Someone else suggested to switch lenses (e.g. Approved one for the Laowa.) while the camera is running to trick GO 4 but I don't know if sliding the contacts of the lens while energized to remove it from the camera is a good idea?

Anyway, here's a video of the lens on the Inspire 2 showing its video capability without the fish-eye effect of most lenses in the same area.  Least someone knows how to work it - or maybe GO 4 operated differently back then.  Dunno, but seems GO 4 should be able to work it manually somehow.

2017-8-20
Use props
240RYU
Flight distance : 841900 ft
Japan

Hello,I bought Laowa7.5mm few days ago.I have inspire2 and x5s.
When attaching 7.5mm to x5s, I found there was serious problem.
RAW data is not in SSD. I checked several times.But same result.
Is there solution?

2017-9-26
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
United States

240RYU Posted at 2017-9-26 20:35
Hello,I bought Laowa7.5mm few days ago.I have inspire2 and x5s.
When attaching 7.5mm to x5s, I found there was serious problem.
RAW data is not in SSD. I checked several times.But same result.

I've read where someone puts on an approved lens with the contacts, then keeps the bird turned on while taking off the approved lens and putting on the Laowa while everything is running.  They call it a "hot swap."  The gimbal will make a lot of noise and shaking while doing this.  In my Olympus manual, and probably others, this isn't recommended so you are on your own, but many do it and I've done it as well usually by forgetting to switch the camera off while switching out lenses.  Sounds like they are tricking the X5S camera to remain working for the SSD.  Don't know if this can damage the gimbal either as it does protest loudly by doing this I found.

I don't have a SSD so I haven't tried the above and I got rid of my Laowa 7.5 for issues it had with not focusing  properly, only passing it on what others have tried.  Good luck and let us know if it worked.
2017-9-27
Use props
Mike9129
First Officer
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

if someone has one of those lens and theyre thinking of getting rid of it let me know, id be interested in picking it up
2017-9-27
Use props
shipshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 354636 ft
  • >>>
United States

Received LAOWA 7.5mm LW version yesterday.  As per a colleague's suggestion:  turned on Inspire 2 w/X5s camera, normally.  RC, GoApp4, then bird.  With "authorized lens." Then did a "hot swap."  Gimbal was not happy with the effort, making noises etc as others reported.  Set lens at just a tad from Infinity. (lining up focus line with the edge of the Infinity symbol).  Set lens manually at F4.    iso 100.  Flew. Took pics. Switched to video mode as well, during test.  Still analyzing same.  Then turned off bird, with RC still operating. Removed LAOWA and re-attached with cold bird.  At that point X5s seemed to shunt the LAOWA image into the FPV view...and vice a versa.  Discovered later, 3 still shots reverted to jpgs not raw...with the Cold mounting of LAOWA.  Do not know what was cause & effect yet. Still testing.  I may sell all the X5S lenses and camera and move to X7.....simply because its a better image...anyone?   
2018-2-2
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
United States

I think there is something wrong with the camera as it occasionally misses saving a shot from reports.  I've scratched my head a few times thinking I should have had some more images afterwards too.  The screen flip might be you pressing on the FPV window causing it to flip the images.

Too bad DJI doesn't allow for manual lenses as do other makers where you can manually type them in and then they put the EXIF data into the image so editors will pick it up and use it for corrections.  The Hot Swap is sort of crude way of doing it and probably isn't best the method either as some makers advise against doing it with their gear.
2018-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules