DJI Spark Firmware Update Enhances Flight Safety
31419 218 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

Thinking about it again I can see issues on both side of this. Whilst I simply don't understand the logic of some users who are planning on avoiding what we are told is an important update at all costs (you are told or can at the very least imply that there is a big issue currently but would rather not get that fixed because the new version 'might' contain an issue and because you object to having to in some sort of personal freedom stance - barmy). However DJI really could have done a better job of managing this. If they have done a company first and made an update mandatory compulsorily grounding their products if the user did not comply they really should have been more explicit with their explanation of why it was so important. I've reread their statements and they have not given enough information. It's not limited the PR fallout because it has still made the press and speculation has replaced definitive facts. It's just made them look a bit silly and unprofessional. We don't need to know the gory details but something like 'an issue was discovered where a very small number of batteries were liable to overheating causing the system to shut down mid flight. A firmware upgrade removes this posibility' would have been enough.

I approved of the compulsory firmware update and smirk at the tinfoil hat wearers but DJI could have handled it (even) better.
2017-8-24
Use props
ENNN
New
United Kingdom

JOHN AND HIS BEAUTIFUL WIFE FINALLY ARRIVE AT KRUGER NATIONAL PARK IN SOUTH AFRICA ON 1ST SEPTEMBER ... AND WHERE THEY CAN ONLY GET CONNECTED VIA 2G NETWORK..
2017-8-24
Use props
NukeSpark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11033 ft
Gibraltar

If you wanted freedom you should have gone for a open source option.... simple as...

but the fact u dont want to update your quad to improve its safety and others around you due to your "freedom" is absurd......
2017-8-24
Use props
djw55
New
United States

Aircraft disconnected from remote since update. Says gimble disconnected. Gimble works fine on phone.
2017-8-24
Use props
jh8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

crypiehef Posted at 2017-8-23 11:13
In this update they said it now supports DJI Goggles therefor wouldn't it have to support the OTG cable?

OTG for Goggle is not the same as full OTG support + all options for the GO App. For example you cannot select the wifi band in the app when connected with OTG.
2017-8-24
Use props
sparkguygc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 230141 ft
Australia

I think posts about their Spark falling from the sky relates to a couple of things; (but not limited to)
- Tilt angle of the Spark (most likely in Sport mode) is being exceeding when banking hard from a sudden turn and the automatic cut out is kicking in.... (if you watch some videos on YouTube, people are grabbing the base of their Spark while it's hovering and tipping it over sideways to disarm the motors.... as we're lazy)
or
- I reckon some users are accidentally disarming the motors by going down and out on the sticks mid-flight (same as arm/disarm as if on the ground)
This update has to be positive if they're grounding our device if we don't update IMO
2017-8-24
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Martin Lines Posted at 2017-8-21 02:47
Sounds like they have found an important bug.

Yes, a very important bug, the flight parameters can no longer be modified in dji assistant....
2017-8-24
Use props
phatav8r60
lvl.2
China

LRAB Posted at 2017-8-21 02:15
is there an RC update?

yes, there is an update for the aircraft, RC, and batteries, each battery has to be inserted and installed separately.
2017-8-25
Use props
phatav8r60
lvl.2
China

mightyarrow Posted at 2017-8-21 04:14
If this firmware is for flight safety, then DJI has a responsibility to list what that safety issue was.

Instead, they've opted not to, and forced a firmware update, which only builds more distrust with the community.

I think given the multiple reports around the world of devices suddenly stop flying in midair, you can surmise what the flight hazard is.  300gm is just under 1 pound.  I guarantee you if a hailstone weighing one pound fell from 300feet in the air, and landed on your head, you would not like it.  And that is a flight safety issue.

Now, we aren't supposed to be over people, but when an aircraft is in forward flight, it is going to still maintain some forward momentum as it falls.
2017-8-25
Use props
phatav8r60
lvl.2
China

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-21 04:23
if 300g falling 100 meters, that will be over 3 KG of force on top of a persons head. that can do some damage.

I'm no physicist, but 300gm falling 300ft (100m) is a big problem by the calculation I have, it will impact the persons head at 44.27m per second or 159.38 km/hour (that's basically 99mph).  Someone is going to die.

2017-8-25
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Now you start seeing "workingIMUencountersheadingexception" after updating to new .0600 firmware which cause Spark not responding to rc. Another option for uncontrollable Spark fell  off the sky.
2017-8-25
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

New way for 159.38 km/hour to happen.
2017-8-25
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

Have a glance at Mavic Forum regarding new firmware thread you will get what I mean. It always happens this way. I never object new firmware but I do object irreversible update and force update approach.
2017-8-25
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

Kyokushin Posted at 2017-8-23 18:01
It can. Everything can. Life is dangerous, $hit happens.

I got hit by a rock falling from the sky when i rode a motorcycle. I had helmet. Hit was so strong i almost crashed.

you are failing to understand that dji don't want a lawsuit against them if they can prevent it, you just keep saying the same thing over and over that rocks and s*** can just fall out of the sky. theres no point in debating this. if you read the terms and conditions of the AC you buy i'm sure you will see a part where DJI stated that if DJI requires a mandatory update due to certain concerns than they can brick your AC if you do not comply. i understand where your coming from but that isn't the real world so its time to come out of your bubble. this is not difficult to understand
2017-8-25
Use props
giroudf
New
Switzerland

you would never know.
it could be to cut these russian guys hacking the firmware and software to make the drone NFZ free.
Could be a request from US Gov to implement some protection (recenlty US army asked DJI to set NFZ a good part of Lybia and Syria)
Could be the dead drone falling from sky a real reason...
could be all the above valid.

trhe only thing sure , they do not make that for you, they make that for them.
2017-8-25
Use props
Lush123
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16627 ft
Canada

Still waiting for update from google app store, hope in time for long weekend holiday next week,  if I can't flu on sept1 , will be super duper unhappy.
2017-8-25
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-25 05:19
you are failing to understand that dji don't want a lawsuit against them if they can prevent it, you just keep saying the same thing over and over that rocks and s*** can just fall out of the sky. theres no point in debating this. if you read the terms and conditions of the AC you buy i'm sure you will see a part where DJI stated that if DJI requires a mandatory update due to certain concerns than they can brick your AC if you do not comply. i understand where your coming from but that isn't the real world so its time to come out of your bubble. this is not difficult to understand

I dont care what they want.
They are messing with MY product what i ALREADY PAID FOR.
Its mine, not DJI.

You failing to understand, if something is Yours, then its YOURS, and someone alse may get off from it.
You do not want update - its YOUR decision. DJI provided update, YOU refused, its YOUR responsibility in YOUR drone.

DJI want to be Your master. I do not need a Master, i am not scared of darkness, its on me to fly safe and in allowed places, and You?
2017-8-25
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

Kyokushin, grow up.
2017-8-26
Use props
fans485de77a
New
United States

I did my update and all four batteries that I have but when I flew it today with one battery my max altitude would only go 98' the other batteries let me go to 200' anyone know why that would happen?
2017-8-26
Use props
Celo1017
lvl.3
Flight distance : 323235 ft
United States

After updating my spark I can't fly past my block with out stoping and remote saying maximum distance reached. Can't go higher like I did before the update it automatically stops and says maximum altitude reached how do I take that crap off ?
2017-8-26
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Celo sign out of app then back in.....should be good after that
2017-8-26
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

Updated mine yesterday, no issues here.
2017-8-26
Use props
minizoom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 860643 ft
United States

Ever since the update I keep getting "Maximum flight altitude reached" If I land and restart the Spark it's fine. It's very annoying. How do I fix this?
2017-8-26
Use props
NukeSpark
lvl.1
Gibraltar

Kyokushin Posted at 2017-8-25 13:36
I dont care what they want.
They are messing with MY product what i ALREADY PAID FOR.
Its mine, not DJI.

Seriously? have your read back your self what you've said? Sounds a bit retarded...

The product might be yours but if a major issue has been detected their not going risk someones safety just because some tree huggin hippie thinks someones robbing their freedom.... I'll say it again.... If you don't want your updates enforced go OPENSOURCE, and build your own quad that way you can dictate the way you run your stuff, you're in the wrong brand mate.

Just imagine 300grams falling from a 500 meter height..... thats

Speed at impact:98.99 m/s or356.38 km/h, now if your willing to put the public at risk for your selfish "needs" you shouldn't be flying in the first place.

You remind me of those playstation users that went into a hiss fit just because they decided to remove linux from the PS3.... grow up......
2017-8-26
Use props
fans3b8dd2c3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 399984 ft
Germany

did you try reinstall dji go?
2017-8-26
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

NukeSpark Posted at 2017-8-26 23:50
Seriously? have your read back your self what you've said? Sounds a bit retarded...

The product might be yours but if a major issue has been detected their not going risk someones safety just because some tree huggin hippie thinks someones robbing their freedom.... I'll say it again.... If you don't want your updates enforced go OPENSOURCE, and build your own quad that way you can dictate the way you run your stuff, you're in the wrong brand mate.

Its still my copter and my responsibility.

Retarded are people like You who are afraid of darkness and need a master. Grow up. You really need a big brother?
Really grow, to use personal adjective in discussion, but if you want, i can handle a troll discussion. Give me your best shot.

Lets imagine 1500kg * 150km/h. Yes, its a car. Cars never was bricked and also had dangerous issues.
IF proper government will decide about retreating something from market, then you cant use it. DJI is not that authority.
If someone is flying at 500m, over people, animals - its his own choice, and his own stupidity. And he have right to it, and right to take an consequences of it.

I do not need to go opensource. I paid for spark and its mine now, not DJI. I can throw it, burn it, update it, or not. Its my choice.

And about opensource - DJI is in active violation of GPL, so in fact, its opensource.
2017-8-27
Use props
NukeSpark
lvl.1
Gibraltar

Kyokushin Posted at 2017-8-27 01:09
Its still my copter and my responsibility.

Retarded are people like You who are afraid of darkness and need a master. Grow up. You really need a big brother?

It might be your quad copter and your responsibility but I bet you would be one of the firsts to create a hate anger post if your spark was to fall from the sky and no update or solution was provided to fix the glitch. Unlike cars, in which 90% of people out there drive with a license and have taken adequate lessons etc etc,,,,, any clueless idiot can buy a quad copter from a shop and create some damage. Its not just YOU, there's another train load of people buying this product.

DJI is not that authority but it is the brand the quadcopters represent.... The last thing ANY company out there wants is there name to burn and crumble due to a fault on the software.... and as you really cannot tell the ones affected then updates like these need to happen.

I've been flying for over 6 years now and built all my quads from scratch, (this has been my first legit quad)  so this afraid of darkness and master is all malarky/horsesh*te. Stop speaking as if you've come out of a starwars film and just had lunch with yoda. The only darkness here are ignorant people who think they know better than the people who actually built the device in the first place....

Good Day!
2017-8-27
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

I have updated - battery - because its covered by an issue. Battery only.
Why DJI not allow that? Because the main purpose of update is not safety, but anger of DJI to make people scared, then rig off modifications.
Even cars may be tuned.

Its still my choice and responsibility.

Then take a bicycle. Any idiot can make a car crash. Driving licence is not required for bicycle, and even small motorcycles.

I have uav licence, driving licence, and using my bought stuff its my choice.

Good day also.
2017-8-27
Use props
EwaldK
New
Netherlands

I agree with Kyokushin to large extend. I might think of the comparison where cars are called back by a manufacturer because of a design fault and it is still the car owner's decision and responsibility if he goes back to the garage for maintenance. That DJI keeps it silent why this update is forced to the customers doesn't help the case either. The only thing that i can think of where DJI might have a point is that the drone relies heavily on software, which often is licensed to users and does not become the property of the user. I don't know exactly as I didn't read all regulations but this might be a point where DJI can indeed shove this update down your throat.
2017-8-27
Use props
Celo1017
lvl.3
United States

minizoom Posted at 2017-8-26 18:13
Ever since the update I keep getting "Maximum flight altitude reached" If I land and restart the Spark it's fine. It's very annoying. How do I fix this?

Iam having the same issue
2017-8-27
Use props
Celo1017
lvl.3
United States

fans3b8dd2c3 Posted at 2017-8-26 23:46
did you try reinstall dji go?

Not yet, will do it next time i fly can some Site Mods look into this as well ?
2017-8-27
Use props
Mundokar
lvl.4
Netherlands

djw55 Posted at 2017-8-24 06:38
Aircraft disconnected from remote since update. Says gimble disconnected. Gimble works fine on phone.

Same here. Two fligts and in both flights the drone got disconnected from the RC. Loud beeping and the RTH kicks in. I am glad RTH is implemented, but annoyed that the drone disconnects.
Skies were clear. Large open area and far away from signals that might disrupt the connection.
2017-8-27
Use props
minizoom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 860643 ft
United States

Reinstalled DJI Go and updated NFZ on mini ipad 4 and it still has the limit issue.  What seems to make the issue go away is to restart the app after every flight. It's very inconvenient and takes seconds/mins if I'm flying back to back batteries.
2017-8-27
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

Kyokushin its a toy drone, get over yourself.
2017-8-27
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
  • >>>
Thailand

Kyokushin ... There is no point to fight. DJI has their right to protect their drone from being hacked. We do agree with that. We just do not agreed the way they do it. We have our right to protect our freedom in what we own. We have our right to wait and see if there is any serious flaw before we do the updating and if any we do have our right to not doing the updating. Being unable to takeoff at anytime by remotely commanding without our authorisation is a kind of .... which we do not agree. Today we still have our escape pod by flying offline but after this update of firmware and app we may not be able to do so. The solution is simple. If we do not like or agree with this then just do not buy their product. Turn to other brand.
2017-8-27
Use props
fans5cc69621
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone noticed an increase in battery life since the firmware update? DJI says it has optimized the batteries performance but I can't notice a difference.
2017-8-28
Use props
fans5cc69621
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone noticed an increase in battery life since the new update? DJI says it optimized the batteries.
2017-8-28
Use props
fans5371990c
New

Australia

After new update spark wobble up down sideways before become stable when ever you touch one of Control's. only. new thing added is update to it all remain original. Settings and all
2017-8-29
Use props
Zaheed
lvl.1
Flight distance : 407343 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

My first post here but not a newbie. Been building multicopters (now called Drones!) since long before DJI existed.

No need to fight, we all have our own opinions because our experiences very. But like it or not, no point denying what's actually going on with these mandatory updates.

Recently DJI got into serious trouble from regulatory bodies for keeping their software unprotected against mods. These sudden mandatory updates across all their copters are really to lock them down. It's naive to think they found a major issue in all of Spark, Mavic, P4Ps all at the same time. This is also why the release notes list mostly cryptic and insignificant updates in each case. Spark's say Battery life optimized. I say BS - show me any improvement at all in battery life, there's none. For Mavic they simply adjusted default exposure/contrast and said improved image quality. Again gimmicky BS update.

Also please note that each mandatory update also involves battery updates. There are hacks to downgrade AC and RC updates, not battery. DJI is exploiting that strength. They are selling you BS to update batteries and then you're locked for life. Unless they have again kept some doors unprotected like before, which I really doubt they will, specially now that they're in so much trouble for doing so in the first place.

The only bird DJI released since starting to lock down mods is P4A, and I haven't seen that hacked as yet. I'm pretty sure it will get harder, if not impossible, with newer releases.

Mavic Pro, Spark, P4P, IS2 are likely to be the last ones that could be moded. With this new update DJI is essentially locking those down. Even these ones, when you buy now or in the near future, will already have the update, i.e. locked to begin with.

Specially outside US/FCC this makes these advanced DJI drones less useful than their first Phantom 1 paired with unmoded RCs from Futaba. Spark flies barely 100m in 5.8G. Mavic does better but still weaker.

As soon I realized what's happening I got a couple more Mavics moded. Never updating them. How they fly and what they do now is plenty for me, FOREVER. Drone regulations aren't going to get any lenient, if anything it will get stricter. So don't expect to see drones going further in the future releases. It's already getting worse. My P3P went further than P4P or Mavic with CE restrictions. And please don't go to a mountain top or fly over water to prove this wrong. I've flown in way too many places and situations to know what I'm talking about.

In the end, think about what you need. I just tried to share my insights based on my needs. I totally understand and welcome differing needs and opinions. So please let's not fight over this. If my insights can help you, great. If not, no problem. Thanks!
2017-9-2
Use props
akositric
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17274 ft
Philippines

Maybe DJI migrating to a new server which they will switch ON on September 1. And for our DJI products to be able to "TALK" to the new server. A certain code needs to be hardwired to the device. That's why it's mandatory. And ready make sense. Other company does that. Take for example Sony Playstation. For you to be able to play ONLINE. Your firmware has to be update. Just my 2 centavos.
2017-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules